or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings - Page 59

post #871 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
M6: Bernstein Sony, but I'm not completely happy here with any of the ones I have, including Kubelik and Yoel Levi. This symphony cries for SACD or dvd-a format.
Abbado SACD

That maybe
post #872 of 3714
Scott,
My Kubelik is not SACD. I already had dg and audite, so I am on the edge of ordering it in SACD, but just haven't had the impetus. I was hoping the Rattle would be better than it is. I may yet buy it as it is supposed to be a wonderful recording showing all the differences between the original and the remaster -- a techie special.

If you are looking for a reference M8, I would suggest the Solti. It really has it all: good singing, wonderful sound, and great drama and depth of emotion. But, Solti is an excellent operatic conductor, even if the Don Giovanni that I have is awful.

I've read interesting things about the Chailly M6, but haven't heard much about the Abbado. I may yet order the Szell. Also, the von Karajan is also up for consideration. The M6 is really a tough nut to crack.

Also, with all the interest in Mahler there is always a new one waiting in the wings, so I don't despair of finding just tht perfect one to fit my tastes.

I also have the Bruno Walter Original Jackets unopened in the stack (almost all the symphonies but not the 6th!), and the Klemperer M2 to open as well (along with Das Lied von der Erde which is as much a symphony as the 8th is). Anyway, I've been listening to so much Mahler over the past 10 days that it may be time to give it a rest.
post #873 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
M6: Bernstein Sony, but I'm not completely happy here with any of the ones I have, including Kubelik and Yoel Levi. This symphony cries for SACD or dvd-a format.
I like the Zander M6 on SACD from Telarc.
post #874 of 3714
Doc,

thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into it along with the Abbado. I just hope that I don't have to go for that exorbitantly expensive cycle put out by the NYPO.
post #875 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Doc,

thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into it along with the Abbado. I just hope that I don't have to go for that exorbitantly expensive cycle put out by the NYPO.
I myself haven't heard the Abbado, just so you know. I just did a search for Mahler 6 on sa-cd.net (a great site for an SACD collector).

Scott
post #876 of 3714
Scott,

Thanks for the information about the website.

Btw. I opened the Walter O.J. and played the M2 just to get a taste. A Walter recording is probably the closest we can get to a Mahler recording. He was friends with the composer, heard him conduct the symphonies and was chosen by the composer to premier the M9. Despite really indifferent sound quality (I don't know any technical details about this, but hopefully in the future Sony will do some heavy remastering), this is an M2 for those really devoted to Mahler. Just from the opening bars, which convey a lot more despair and urgency than for instance, the Litton, until the introduction of the first song (which is sung really beautifully by the mezzo soprano), the tone of the symphony is really defined. The contrasts of the hopeful themes and the despairing themes are really underlined by Walter. Now, I only listened once, so these impressions are really not firm and will probably be revised as I become more familiar with the recording. It also is a faster rather than a slower M2, with the whole symphony on 1 cd.
post #877 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Scott,

Thanks for the information about the website.
It's a great resource for finding recordings on SACD, I just hope the format becomes more popular, even just in the Classical industry.

I have an older CD of Walter's M1, and it didn't do much for me, I wonder if the sound on the new Sony editions of these recordings sound better (Though that OJ series looks nice, to expensive for my blood).

PS - On the M2, I think the question many ask...how is the Finale?
post #878 of 3714
Sound on the Walter OJ's is very good but not great.
Finale on the M2 is wonderful. The vision is there for the whole symphony and the 3rd, 4th and 5th movements with the vocals are meltingly beautiful -- reminded me of that line in Latin, "Anima mea liquefacta est..."

Times
Walter:
Movement 1: 21'37"
Movement 2: 10'35"
Movement 3: 10'43"
Movement 4: 4'11"
Movement 5: 32'46"
Total: 79'42"

Bernstein (Sony):
Movement 1: 23'41"
Movement 2: 11'38"
Movement 3: 10'07"
Movement 4: 5'31"
Movement 5: 33'43"
Total: 84'40"

The Bernstein times may have errors (anything I add may have errors), as the movements are broken into parts and my addition skills aren't the greatest.
post #879 of 3714

Latecomer

Greetings, all! I'm Mark Jordan from High Fidelity Review and my old friend Masonjar mentioned that you guys have a great Mahler thread here, so I couldn't resist joining in. I haven't managed to read all this thread yet, but I've read about 20 pages of it. It's great to see the range of opinions and the sense of discovery as everyone gets into the great Gustav!

OK, so my Mahler collection has gotten more than a little out of hand over the years. If I posted it all at once, it would be too much for anyone to read (and typing it would aggravate my carpal tunnel). Here's a sampling, though. These are the Mahler Firsts I can remember having off the top of my head:

#1:
Horenstein/LSO
Horenstein/VSO
Eschenbach/HSO
Abbado/CSO
Abbado/BPO
Solti/CSO
Bernstein/NYP
Bernstein/RCO
Walter/NYP
Walter/Columbia SO
Tennstedt/LPO
Giulini/CSO
Judd/Florida PO
Kubelik/Bavarian RSO
Inbal/Frankfurt RSO
MTT/SFSO
Maazel/ONF
Maazel/VPO
Haitink/RCO
Haitink/BPO
Mitropoulos/Minnesota O
Scherchen/VSOO
Boulez/CSO
Neumann/Czech PO
Abravanel/USO
Muti/Philadelphia O
Dohnanyi/Cleveland O
Ozawa/BSO
Leinsdorf/BSO
Leinsdorf/RPO
Bertini/Cologne RSO
Davis/Bavarian RSO
Vonk/SLSO
Ancerl/Czech PO
Kletzki/Philharmonia O
Masur/NYP
Honeck/BBCSO
Levine/CSO
Sinopoli/Philharmonia O
Steinberg/PSO
Kondrashin/MPO
Slatkin/SLSO
Boult/LPO
Levi/ASO
Ormandy/Philadelphia O
Markevitch/Turin RSO

That's 46 versions, and I may be fogetting a few. Beware, this can happen to you, too!

Cheerfully inundated,
Mark
post #880 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from HFR
Greetings, all! I'm Mark Jordan from High Fidelity Review and my old friend Masonjar mentioned that you guys have a great Mahler thread here, so I couldn't resist joining in. I haven't managed to read all this thread yet, but I've read about 20 pages of it. It's great to see the range of opinions and the sense of discovery as everyone gets into the great Gustav!


Cheerfully inundated,
Mark
Welcome aboard my friend.

-Mason
post #881 of 3714
Hey Mark!

Welcome to the site!

That is one very impressive list. Do you have to buy all those recordings or are they given to you to review? And how do you rank them? Would you please put them in tiers like first tier, second tier, and fuggedaboudit?
post #882 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Mark HFR
You are beyond hope, an incurable sick Mahler addict stripped of any shred of common sense or restraint, in words a perfect addition to discussion.

Your first task is very difficult, but we need to see your three favorite performances for each Mahler symphony......and any short comments that come to mind.
post #883 of 3714
We're like a support group. As in we support the classical labels in their sales!

Welcome!

Scott
post #884 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from HFR
#1:
Horenstein/LSO
Horenstein/VSO
Eschenbach/HSO
Abbado/CSO
Abbado/BPO
Solti/CSO
Bernstein/NYP
Bernstein/RCO
Walter/NYP
Walter/Columbia SO
Tennstedt/LPO
Giulini/CSO
Judd/Florida PO
Kubelik/Bavarian RSO
Inbal/Frankfurt RSO
MTT/SFSO
Maazel/ONF
Maazel/VPO
Haitink/RCO
Haitink/BPO
Mitropoulos/Minnesota O
Scherchen/VSOO
Boulez/CSO
Neumann/Czech PO
Abravanel/USO
Muti/Philadelphia O
Dohnanyi/Cleveland O
Ozawa/BSO
Leinsdorf/BSO
Leinsdorf/RPO
Bertini/Cologne RSO
Davis/Bavarian RSO
Vonk/SLSO
Ancerl/Czech PO
Kletzki/Philharmonia O
Masur/NYP
Honeck/BBCSO
Levine/CSO
Sinopoli/Philharmonia O
Steinberg/PSO
Kondrashin/MPO
Slatkin/SLSO
Boult/LPO
Levi/ASO
Ormandy/Philadelphia O
Markevitch/Turin RSO
Nice to see Maurice Abravanel represented. Welcome!
post #885 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Hey Mark!

Welcome to the site!

That is one very impressive list. Do you have to buy all those recordings or are they given to you to review? And how do you rank them? Would you please put them in tiers like first tier, second tier, and fuggedaboudit?
Hi, Bunnyears! I've only been reviewing for a few years now, so this is all shtuff I have accumulated on my own through the treasured process of "beg, borrow, & steal". Okay, I haven't actually stolen anything, but I wouldn't put it past me. Get this for the height of classical record nerdity: I often have dreams where I'm in a record store and I find amazing recordings of things that I didn't even know existed, and I'm just overjoyed... then I wake up and remember that those records I just bought in my dream really don't exist! And, for what it's worth, the list is roughly (very roughly) in order of preference, just because I tended to list the ones I liked first.

Mark
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings