or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings - Page 35

post #511 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by daycart1
How about Bruckner?
7-2
post #512 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonjar
7-2
A wonderful choice. I'm also especially fond of the (very different) 8-4.
post #513 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
I received the Chailly SACD of M9 last week and it is wonderful. If there is a more beautiful first movement in symphonic history than M9, please let me know.
OK, you've tempted me enough to come out here and show my ignorance in asking this question: When you say "M9" do you mean Mahler's Symphony No. 9, the first movement being "Andante Comodo"?

post #514 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosper
OK, you've tempted me enough to come out here and show my ignorance in asking this question: When you say "M9" do you mean Mahler's Symphony No. 9, the first movement being "Andante Comodo"?
Yes, that's become the unoffical shorthand when talking about the symphonies, why do all that extraq typing
post #515 of 3714
One could be driving on the M1, listening to M9, protected by an M16, eating M&M's.
post #516 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
One could be driving on the M1, listening to M9, protected by an M16, eating M&M's.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm M&M's
post #517 of 3714
This thread has gotten so huge that I am too lazy to look for the information. Sorry it is early and the coffee hasn't kicked in.

With all this talk of Mahler 9, did we decide the definitive recordings yet, or at least the reference top two or three. I have a Boulez/CSO recording I enjoy, but it is the only recording so I have nothing to compare it to. With my recent comparisons of the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra, I found the Boulez recording excellent but less emotional/passionate then other performances, which is more or less his style. I get the sense he is more of an accuracy fanatic and lets the music stand on its own without conductor intervention.

This being said, Mahler 9 is one of the more powerful and profound pieces I know, so it should be injected with deep personal feeling on the part of the conductor. So, I was wondering if I were to purchase another recording what it would be. (dshea secretly hopes DA will pop up with the magic recording out of thin air once again, along with consensus from the others on one or two other recordings)

If we have already discussed this early, somebody just slap me and say get your lazy butt out of your chair and look back through the thread.


dshea
post #518 of 3714
M9 is a piece I need to look into more, too. DA?
post #519 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshea_32665
This thread has gotten so huge that I am too lazy to look for the information. Sorry it is early and the coffee hasn't kicked in.

With all this talk of Mahler 9, did we decide the definitive recordings yet, or at least the reference top two or three. I have a Boulez/CSO recording I enjoy, but it is the only recording so I have nothing to compare it to. With my recent comparisons of the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra, I found the Boulez recording excellent but less emotional/passionate then other performances, which is more or less his style. I get the sense he is more of an accuracy fanatic and lets the music stand on its own without conductor intervention.
dshea
I don't know if I can report what the definitive version of the M9 is. I do have the newer Boulez on DG, I probably haven't listened to it enough, though I did hear him conduct it live in Chicago about 10 years ago as well. I think the live concert came off a little better than the CD does. Of the recordings I'm most familiar with, the Boulez would probably be tied for 2nd place with Maazel's 80's CBS recording and Abbado's 80's DG recording. Of those three, Abbado would be slightly ahead of the other two, though Maazel's 1st movement has long been one of my favorite versions. As for my favorite recording, it's hard for me to pick between Giulini and Karajan. Many cite Karajan's early 80's live performance on DG with the Berlin Philharmonic as the best, and yes, it is pretty amazing, esp. in the last movement, I have his slightly earlier "studio" recording, but I do love that one. Probably my had would tip to Giulini, he just does more things "right" to my ears.

Interesting side note about the Karajan Live DG recording. Apparently, those that heard and/or played in the dress rehearsal that preceded the concert say that THAT was the peformance that should have made it to release, as it was even more intense than the concert version which followed.

My absolute favorite interpretation is by Dohnanyi with the Cleveland Orchestra, I saw the pair peform it twice, though I don't know if the recording of that was ever released (would have been on London, I'll have to do some research, I'm pretty sure it was recorded). I did tape the radio broadcast of the concert, and enjoy going "back in time" to that peformance every so often.

Currently, I'm most curious to hear the most recent Chailly recording, as it seems to have gotten quite a few good reviews. Also, people speak highly of Zander's 9th on Telarc, but I haven't heard that one yet either.

-jar
post #520 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonjar
My absolute favorite interpretation is by Dohnanyi with the Cleveland Orchestra, I saw the pair peform it twice, though I don't know if the recording of that was ever released (would have been on London, I'll have to do some research, I'm pretty sure it was recorded). I did tape the radio broadcast of the concert, and enjoy going "back in time" to that peformance every so often.
-jar
Apparently, it's out.. Guess what's next on my list!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...sical&n=507846
post #521 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonjar
Currently, I'm most curious to hear the most recent Chailly recording, as it seems to have gotten quite a few good reviews. Also, people speak highly of Zander's 9th on Telarc, but I haven't heard that one yet either.
I have heard wonderful things about the Chailly M9, I adore his M3. So I have no reservations about picking up his M9 (I was waiting on the US SACD release).

Scott
post #522 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonjar
Apparently, it's out.. Guess what's next on my list!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...sical&n=507846
Hmmm will add that to my Amazon Wish List
post #523 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Gentlemen,
Well in absolute terms if money is no object (ha ha) you would have to go with the live Karajan/DG M9.......but the cost is obscence for 25yr old recording at $34 retail. Cruel punishment for the aspiring collector with limited means but insatiable desire.

To tide you over in the mean time you could settle for the Karajan/DG studio version at mid price, but I would say better selection is the newest Abbado/DG M9, live 2002 recording also with BPO on single CD. This is possibly best of Abbado's new Mahler series and can be purchased used at Amazon for under $10.

For budget shoppers get the Barbirolli/EMI GROTC or Bernstein/Sony used on single CD. These still hold thier own against almost any version for very low price.

Have not heard some of the very newest releases like Chailly/London.
post #524 of 3714
I also have the DG Bernstein/BP Live Recording form 79, but honestly haven't listened to it much to give an opinion.
post #525 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottder
I also have the DG Bernstein/BP Live Recording form 79, but honestly haven't listened to it much to give an opinion.
I have read that many think it is very good, Bernstein's only recording with BPO, price however is astronomical like the live Karajan M9.......one or both should be remastered and reissued at reduced price on DG Originals series.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings