or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings - Page 214

post #3196 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustwest View Post
"Yes Mahler is constantly ripped off in the Movie world..........."

John Williams has made a career adapting Mahler, Strauss, Hovaness & others into his "original" compositions.
He has undeniably written some great movie themes, but... yeah. The Jaws theme is of course ripped straight out of Dvorak's 9th.
post #3197 of 3714
Uh, actually the Jaws theme was ripped right out of Prokofieff's Alexander Nevsky in a movement called "The Battle on the Ice".
post #3198 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhaub View Post
Uh, actually the Jaws theme was ripped right out of Prokofieff's Alexander Nevsky in a movement called "The Battle on the Ice".
I'll have to check that when I get home. But just check out the first 30 second of the Dvorak 9 last movement...
post #3199 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhaub View Post
Uh, actually the Jaws theme was ripped right out of Prokofieff's Alexander Nevsky in a movement called "The Battle on the Ice".
Sorry, I don't think so. The only thing they have in common is a two-note bass ostinato, which you can hear in a lot of classical pieces. Try the beginning of the last movement of Dvorak's ninth symphony, for example. Like the Jaws theme, the two notes are played slowly and with long pauses, then speed up to a steadier pace (which is not what Prokofiev did with his ostinato--his piece starts the ostinato at a steady pace and then accelerates a bit as the underpinning of other themes representing the forces at battle). I wouldn't call a two-note ostinato a ripoff. There are much more blatant similarities between the "Mars" movement of Holst's Planets and the music in Star Wars IV.
post #3200 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
There are much more blatant similarities between the "Mars" movement of Holst's Planets and the music in Star Wars IV.
when I was in college we had a project to "re-score" a piece of film.. I used the trench battle at the end of Star Wars IV.. I used a section of "Mars" by Holst.. it worked really well.. (I used the section leading up to the big climax of the movement.. at that point, the Death Star explodes..) then after the Death Star exploded, I went into a section from the 1st movement of Mahler's 7th (where it's all dreamy with the harps).. it was to practice using sympte time code. Fun stuff. I also had to do sound effects and all the dialog too..

-jar
post #3201 of 3714
does it matter where Jaws came from? suffice to say, John Williams, while, yes, being a huge "rip-off" artist, is also one of the greatest film composers of the 20th century, if for nothing more than crafting the perfect music to enhance the scene.. I'm sure if I had the skill to compose, it would come out sounding a lot like Mahler too..
-jar
post #3202 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonjar View Post
does it matter where Jaws came from? suffice to say, John Williams, while, yes, being a huge "rip-off" artist, is also one of the greatest film composers of the 20th century
I agree that John Williams is a skilled film composer--but originality is nice, too. Among film composers, Bernard Herrmann was both original AND an excellent composer.
post #3203 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Very unflattering view on new Boulez M8:
M8

I agree with author that favorite M8 is the fabulous Horenstein/BBC Legends

Anyone still buying Zinman/RCA series with new M3?
post #3204 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
Very unflattering view on new Boulez M8:
M8

I agree with author that favorite M8 is the fabulous Horenstein/BBC Legends

Anyone still buying Zinman/RCA series with new M3?
I will be very interested to hear the studio Boulez M8, as I have a live recording from last spring's Mahler-Zyklus in Berlin with the same forces (or very nearly the same, as I recall). I found the live recording quite good, though I'll admit to being a Boulez fanatic. It wouldn't be a great surprise if the Musicweb reviewer is correct, since the live Vienna M2 is miles ahead of the studio recording. Still, I didn't find Boulez lacking much, if anything.

I'll still take Tennstedt first, with Nagano and Wit a close second for various reasons.
post #3205 of 3714
Anyone else notice a major gaff in that review? Unless I read it wrong, it seems to be saying that Klemperer didn't perform M6 or M9. Funny, I have two recordings of the 9th with Otto in my collection.

It may not be a great 8th, but many of us completists will buy it anyway to complete the Boulez cycle.
post #3206 of 3714
Time to wake up this thread. There are things happening re Mahler.
First, we have the Zinman 3rd from Arte Nova. Hurwitz at Classicstoday loves it: 9/9. BBC Music magazine hates it: 2 stars. For the 2nd: BBC hated it. Hurwitz hated it. American Record Guide loves it. What's a dedicated collector supposed to do? Has anyone heard any of these and can comment?
post #3207 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhaub View Post
Time to wake up this thread. There are things happening re Mahler.
First, we have the Zinman 3rd from Arte Nova. Hurwitz at Classicstoday loves it: 9/9. BBC Music magazine hates it: 2 stars. For the 2nd: BBC hated it. Hurwitz hated it. American Record Guide loves it. What's a dedicated collector supposed to do? Has anyone heard any of these and can comment?
I personally would put more weight with BBC ratings since I am often at odds with DH's ratings. I have the Zinman M1 and reported here it was just average performance, not nearly as good as recent Geilen M1 which was sold through CD clubs like yourmusic.com last year. We need "deep pockets" like Bunny and Tyson to buy up these expensive new full price versions and report back so we don't waste our precious resources ha ha

I am more intersted in acquiring even more older Mahler performances since these seem to be better in general than new genration of Mahler conductors. Case in point I ordered used Klemperer/EMI GROTC M9 version which includes some Strauss and Wagner to fill out 2CDs.

I also have been impressed so far with recent Barenboim M7 M9 so will continue to buy future releases as they become available.

Now combining those two I also ordered used Barenboim/Klemperer/EMI GROTC version of Beethoven 5 piano concertos, held off for long time but the ART remasters of GROTC series (great recordings of the century) plus samples on Amazon sound better then I expected
post #3208 of 3714
Does anyone own "The Kaplan Mahler Edition" featuring the Kaplan M2 on Conifer? I'm talking about the one with the M5 Adagietto, Mahler piano roll recordings, and other features. Anyway: I just bought it used on amazon, and I can't seem to access the photo gallery supposedly contained as a CDROM extra on Disc 2. It's an old CDROM so I'm worried my system can't read it for some reason (I use XP). Anyone else have this same issue, and how did you address it?

Sorry if this is more technical than the typical Mahler thread question, but I don't know anywehere else I'm more likely to get the answer.

P.S. Thank heaven this thread wasn't lost in the recent outage!!!
post #3209 of 3714
I have the Kaplan edition, too. My photo CD does not work either.
I read (somewhere?) that this was a common problem with this set because the CD with the photos also had music files on it. No solution was offered.
My guess is that the technology at that time was not up to the level it is now.

Trio
post #3210 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis View Post
Does anyone own "The Kaplan Mahler Edition" featuring the Kaplan M2 on Conifer? I'm talking about the one with the M5 Adagietto, Mahler piano roll recordings, and other features. Anyway: I just bought it used on amazon, and I can't seem to access the photo gallery supposedly contained as a CDROM extra on Disc 2. It's an old CDROM so I'm worried my system can't read it for some reason (I use XP). Anyone else have this same issue, and how did you address it?
I own it and I have never found the Mahler Album file ("MAHLER.EXE") mentioned in the instructions. I have also used Windows Explorer to view the files on the CD, and all that comes up are the music tracks (.cda files). I also tried it on a Mac, with the same result. I suspect that there are some copies of this CD that were pressed without the Mahler Album file.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings