or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings - Page 154

post #2296 of 3714
Rattle M2 in GROTC in the house (finally!) will compare to the old recording.

Also upcoming Antoni Wit on M8 for Naxos. Mr Hurwitz liked it, for whatever that means (I am neutral on the man myself, sometimes I agree, sometimes I have no idea if he listening to the same recording I am. But he has the right to his opinion like anyone else).


post #2297 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Unfortunately it's only available in Japan, so you have to wend your way through the mysteries of Amazon Japan, which is quite an odyssey.
I contacted Arkivmusic about carrying this, they confirmed there is NO North American distribution methods for the Fontec label. But this is well worth seeking out! If you are familiar with the checkout mechinisms of amazon.com, it's not too bad to muddle through the amazon.co.jp. Enough english there to get you through and delivery was very prompt.

Scott
post #2298 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottder
Rattle M2 in GROTC in the house (finally!) will compare to the old recording.

Also upcoming Antoni Wit on M8 for Naxos. Mr Hurwitz liked it, for whatever that means (I am neutral on the man myself, sometimes I agree, sometimes I have no idea if he listening to the same recording I am. But he has the right to his opinion like anyone else).


This subject has been and will be debated at length here and elsewhere, but I find that if Hurwitz likes it, it is a cooler, more analytic performance. He tends to pan recordings that either aren't perfect or considerably more emotional than he would like. However, all the major critics and sources have their biases and quirks.

I will, though, be on the lookout for this record.
post #2299 of 3714
I spent some time going back and forth between the older and newer versions of the Rattle M2. It's an improvement, but not a huge one to be honest, if you already own it I am not sure I could justify the upgrade, it smooths out some rough spots, but in the end it's not an earthshattering difference. Now if you don't already own the Rattle M2, then yes, get the newer version. For slightly better sound AND a lower pricetag (mine was $21 and change shipped from a vendor on amazon.com).

Scott
post #2300 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottder
I spent some time going back and forth between the older and newer versions of the Rattle M2. It's an improvement, but not a huge one to be honest, if you already own it I am not sure I could justify the upgrade, it smooths out some rough spots, but in the end it's not an earthshattering difference. Now if you don't already own the Rattle M2, then yes, get the newer version. For slightly better sound AND a lower pricetag (mine was $21 and change shipped from a vendor on amazon.com).

Scott
How do you rank Rattle M2 overall?
I am not huge fan for Rattle's Mahler but his M2 has been in my top 5 list since it first appeared, for me best Mahler recording Rattle ever made not counting M10 (and one of his first)
post #2301 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from HFR
Origen,

An unidentified collector in NYC has the only known tape of a Horenstein Mahler 5th, from a concert with the Berlin Philharmonic in the 1950's. Horenstein's nephew Yakov Horenstein was unable to convince the collector to release the tape. In fact, all the collector would do was play a few minutes of the tape to Yakov over the telephone!

I am not aware of Jascha Horenstein ever performing the Adagio of M10, so not even any rumored recordings have surfaced there.

M
London Barbican Library is preserving a tape of Horenstein's M5 performance with LSO and I heard that it can be heard by visiting there.
http://www.musicpreserved.org.uk/sea...7&M=BCT%200344
Why this recording is not being published for a larger audience?
post #2302 of 3714
Good news. Thanks, Gracky.
post #2303 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracky
London Barbican Library is preserving a tape of Horenstein's M5 performance with LSO and I heard that it can be heard by visiting there.
http://www.musicpreserved.org.uk/sea...7&M=BCT%200344
Why this recording is not being published for a larger audience?
Thanks, Gracky! This is wonderful news. I wonder if Yakov knows about this? It's been so long since I talked with him, I don't have his email, but I'll try to track him down and let him know.

Many thanks,
Mark
post #2304 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
How do you rank Rattle M2 overall?
I am not huge fan for Rattle's Mahler but his M2 has been in my top 5 list since it first appeared, for me best Mahler recording Rattle ever made not counting M10 (and one of his first)
I agree here, the 10th and the 2nd are really the only Rattle Mahler works I have heard and liked. Though I have yet to listen to his Das Klagende Lied, either. But I am glad I picked this up in any case.

Scott

PS the Das Klagende Lied is from 1985
post #2305 of 3714
Thread Starter 
I have finally purchased the Tennstedt/EMI set, I already have his 2CD set of M1,M2 plus a CD with M4 which I enjoy very much so I decided to take the total plunge

Price was pretty good at overstock.com $57.........have to keep digging into older sets as nothing done recently in modern sound appeals to me, great Mahler conducting appears to be a lost art now
post #2306 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottder
Rattle M2 in GROTC in the house (finally!) will compare to the old recording.

Also upcoming Antoni Wit on M8 for Naxos. Mr Hurwitz liked it, for whatever that means (I am neutral on the man myself, sometimes I agree, sometimes I have no idea if he listening to the same recording I am. But he has the right to his opinion like anyone else).
Indeed another 10/10 rave by DH.........you can safely buy almost any of the Wit/Naxos Mahler recordings since they are all very good performances and very good modern sound especially at budget price level. I have Wit M2, M4, M5, M6, M7.

Unfortunately you cannot assemble a complete Naxos Mahler set by Wit, you need to use other conductors on Naxos label who often are not as good as Wit.
post #2307 of 3714
Oh my, I love my Chicago/Solti recordings of Mahler! They're so good...

London Phil/Stennstedt and Berliner Phil/Rattle ones are also very good.
post #2308 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
...you can safely buy any of the Wit/Naxos Mahler recordings since they are all very good performances and very good modern sound especially at budget price level. I have Wit M2, M4, M5, M6, M7.

Unfortunately you cannot assemble a complete Naxos Mahler set by Wit, you need to use other conductors on Naxos label who often are not as good as Wit.
You actually liked #2? I found it woefully underpowered, and the recessed sound made no impact. Wit's #6 was better.

However, #7 is NOT by Wit, but by well-known Vienna based opera conductor Michael Halasz, and it is very good for the price. He brings out the drama in the symphony that many others miss. His DLVDE is also excellent and puts many full-priced versions to shame, as does his #1.

Another Naxos worth investigating the the 10th. The conducting is nothing special: you can hear the barlines -- very rigid. Olsen uses the Joe Wheeler version instead of the more familiar Cooke II, which will interest some.
post #2309 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhaub
You actually liked #2? I found it woefully underpowered, and the recessed sound made no impact. Wit's #6 was better.

However, #7 is NOT by Wit, but by well-known Vienna based opera conductor Michael Halasz, and it is very good for the price. He brings out the drama in the symphony that many others miss. His DLVDE is also excellent and puts many full-priced versions to shame, as does his #1.

Another Naxos worth investigating the the 10th. The conducting is nothing special: you can hear the barlines -- very rigid. Olsen uses the Joe Wheeler version instead of the more familiar Cooke II, which will interest some.
You are correct the Naxos M7 is Halasz not Wit, also have Naxos M1, M9 by him.

The Wit M2 reminds me of Inbal/Dennon M2, a bit lightweight but refreshing with added clarity, a bit slow paced by my standards and lacking the dramatic energy of Solti, Bernstein/Sony etc. I believe the sound quality is pretty good if lacking in deep bass thus limiting dynamic range, however the style of performance also creates the lightweight and recessed impression. It doesn't bother me too much since I use 2 way monitors and sub, just add some low bass to extend dynamic range if needed.

Obviously not on my top 5 list of M2s but perhaps worth having at budget price for collectors.
post #2310 of 3714
I may investigate the Wit M8 at some point, but it'd be hard to top the Solti M8 for me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings