or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings - Page 138

post #2056 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
BD
Don't pay full price for those Abbado CDs at retail store, join www.yourmusic.com and get them for $5.99 each
ok, so here's how it works, from what I understand.

You join, and you must buy one cd per month at 5.99

Except, you get to choose the cd.

so, it's kind of like Columbia House/BMG, except:

The price is better.

You get to choose your selection of the month.

Sounds like someone came up with a fantastic idea!

Any other catches that I missed?

I might just have to do this!



-jar
post #2057 of 3714
Depending upon which state you live in and whether BMG has an agreement with it, you may have to pay sales tax on the order. They list the states where you have to pay the tax somewhere on the website (maybe in their faq or something).
post #2058 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonjar
ok, so here's how it works, from what I understand.

You join, and you must buy one cd per month at 5.99

Except, you get to choose the cd.

so, it's kind of like Columbia House/BMG, except:

The price is better.

You get to choose your selection of the month.

Sounds like someone came up with a fantastic idea!

Any other catches that I missed?

I might just have to do this!



-jar

It's absolutely great - you should do it. The ONLY catch is that their supplies are sometimes limited, and the selection isn't all-encompassing. But so what?
post #2059 of 3714
Thread Starter 
You must purchase one CD each month from your buy list which is done automatically........but you can also buy as many additional $5.99 Cds as you want anytime with free shipping!

Can't loose with this deal
post #2060 of 3714
okay, i'll jump into this thread some other time. for now i'll just read the last 100 pages.
post #2061 of 3714
If you really want something, don't put it on your queue, put it in your cart. If a particularly "hot" recording shows up, put in your cart immediately. If they sell out, there's no guarantee that it will show up again as some things are in limited quantity. In particular be aware of anything that classicstoday gives the 10/10 to. Harnoncourt's recordings of Haydn's Paris Symphonies showed up for a short time and haven't been back. The same with Leif Ove Andsnes's recordings. They sell quickly and because it's EMI, once they are gone, they are gone. Others seem to reappear all the time, especially if they are under the bmg-sony umbrella. They get remastered and what was not around suddenly is there again. The only recordings that never seem to appear are the Sony Great Performances and the Arte Nova recordings (includes Zinman's Beethoven) which are budget labels that belong to bmg-sony. They probably feel that the prices of those are low enough so they don't get to the clubs.
post #2062 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
If you really want something, don't put it on your queue, put it in your cart. If a particularly "hot" recording shows up, put in your cart immediately. If they sell out, there's no guarantee that it will show up again as some things are in limited quantity. In particular be aware of anything that classicstoday gives the 10/10 to. Harnoncourt's recordings of Haydn's Paris Symphonies showed up for a short time and haven't been back. The same with Leif Ove Andsnes's recordings. They sell quickly and because it's EMI, once they are gone, they are gone. Others seem to reappear all the time, especially if they are under the bmg-sony umbrella. They get remastered and what was not around suddenly is there again. The only recordings that never seem to appear are the Sony Great Performances and the Arte Nova recordings (includes Zinman's Beethoven) which are budget labels that belong to bmg-sony. They probably feel that the prices of those are low enough so they don't get to the clubs.
As always, I want to encourage everyone to let us know about the good deals they spot - and not just from yourmusic. For example, we have Bunny to thank for, among others, the Bertini Mahler set and the Szell Beethoven symphonies/piano concerti. I love 'em both!
post #2063 of 3714
To Mark from HFR: Do we know when Zander will do 2, 7, 8? Does he have Das Lied plans?
post #2064 of 3714

List of Current Faves:

Thanks to all for helping to keep my collection growing!

Forced myself to only one:

1. Zander
2. Kaplan VPO
3. Boulez
4. Abravanel
5. Kondrashin
6. Oue
7. Levine
8. Solti
DL: Klemperer
9. Ancerl
10. Rattle I guess (want to try Barshai)

I'm really looking forward to the Boulez M2, and the rest of the Zander set.
post #2065 of 3714
I also recently picked up Boulez doing M1, M7, & M9. I'll report back when I get a chance to listen to them.
post #2066 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson
I also recently picked up Boulez doing M1, M7, & M9. I'll report back when I get a chance to listen to them.
I've been listening to a Live M2 from 2005 (same forces used for the upcoming DG release) and the DG M3 by Boulez, I have become quite fond of his take on Mahler, I wouldnt want it to be my ONLY Mahler, but I am still very glad to have it.

Let us know how those are, I am still seeking an M7 that "clicks" for me.

Scott
post #2067 of 3714
Just received a new M6 by Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra. I heard them doing the M1 a few weeks ago (just marvelous) and when I saw this at towerrecords in SACD I gave in. After I've had a chance to listen I'll post my impressions.
post #2068 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
To Mark from HFR: Do we know when Zander will do 2, 7, 8? Does he have Das Lied plans?
Doc, I'll check with Amanda at Telarc. I was actually planning on getting hold of her Monday anyway, because I heard a nasty rumor that the series was not going to be finished! I sincerely hope that is not the case....

Mark
post #2069 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookdoctor
I also picked up a 2 CD set of Kletzki conducting the M1 with VPO, and the M4 and Adagietto of M5 with the Philharmonia Orchestra.
Bookdoctor,

Kletzki's Mahler 4 is an old favorite, an early stereo gem. His 1st was also excellent with one huge exception: There is a cut toward the end of the finale where Kletzki cuts about a minute out of the final section. I guess he thought it went on too long. If it weren't for that cut, that recording would probably be regarded as a classic today. I haven't heard his 'Adagietto' but I'm sure it's just as good as his usual work.

Mark
post #2070 of 3714
I've been listening to Fischer's M6 this week. In a word, disappointing:

1) Overall, it's too fast. This is especially damaging in the Andante. But it ruins some of the Finale, too. He doesn't linger on some of the soul-searing music.
2) The sound is not all that great. It's clear enough, just doesn't have much of an impact either with headphones or speakers. The hammer blows are timid.
3) Most damaging of all: he places the Andante II and the Scherzo III, which makes no sense to me. He's not alone, but I'll never accept the reasoning behind the decision to do this. Erwin Ratz, in the critical edition of the score, was correct about the order. And later work by Fussl makes a compelling argument for Scherzo/Andante. I know it's easy to program the cd player to change the order, but I swear, the order that a conductor has in mind changes the way he handles the music. Anything to be different, eh, Ivan?

I would classify this as a good, competent reading, but hardly a top choice. More like Haitink or even Levine and Boulez. Bernstein, Barbirolli, and Karajan still own this symphony. Heck, even Farberman (Vox) finds more music than Fischer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings