or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings - Page 137

post #2041 of 3714
Hi, I'm new to this thread. You guys really know your Mahler recordings. So, here's a question. I'm very fond of Symphony 8 with Robert Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus as well Symphony 9 with Claudio Abbado and the Berliner Philharmoniker. Could you point me in the right direction of other recordings of these symphonies that stands in contrast to the two above mentioned?

Cheers!
post #2042 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Johansen
Hi, I'm new to this thread. You guys really know your Mahler recordings. So, here's a question. I'm very fond of Symphony 8 with Robert Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus as well Symphony 9 with Claudio Abbado and the Berliner Philharmoniker. Could you point me in the right direction of other recordings of these symphonies that stands in contrast to the two above mentioned?

Cheers!
Well, the Solti Mahler 8th is very well regarded, and the new-ish Nagano 8th seems to be popular. I am not that big of a fan of the 8th (for several reasons), but I think that the Solti recording is excellent.

As for the 9th, Pierre Boulez' recording is really quite excellent. His analytical approach is probably my favorite interpretative stance on Mahler. New Abbado has a similar transparency, but is considerably more emotional than Boulez.
post #2043 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSmith08
Well, the Solti Mahler 8th is very well regarded, and the new-ish Nagano 8th seems to be popular. I am not that big of a fan of the 8th (for several reasons), but I think that the Solti recording is excellent.

As for the 9th, Pierre Boulez' recording is really quite excellent. His analytical approach is probably my favorite interpretative stance on Mahler. New Abbado has a similar transparency, but is considerably more emotional than Boulez.
Thank you!
post #2044 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Johansen
Hi, I'm new to this thread. You guys really know your Mahler recordings. So, here's a question. I'm very fond of Symphony 8 with Robert Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus as well Symphony 9 with Claudio Abbado and the Berliner Philharmoniker. Could you point me in the right direction of other recordings of these symphonies that stands in contrast to the two above mentioned?

Cheers!
Welcome to the thread, and sorry about your wallet.

Symphony 8 -- Solti, Bertini or Kubelik (Audite)

Symphony 9 -- Karel Ancerl / Orchestr Cesk√° Filharmonie (Supraphon); James Judd / Mahler Youth Orchestra (Regis); Bertini (EMI boxed set); Riccardo Chailly / Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (Decca) preferably SACD/hybrid.

Btw, there is a famous Bertini Mahler 9th with the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra (Fontec) SACD/hybrid only available in Japan -- very expensive that I am trying to obtain.
post #2045 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Welcome to the thread, and sorry about your wallet.

Symphony 8 -- Solti, Bertini or Kubelik (Audite)

Symphony 9 -- Karel Ancerl / Orchestr Cesk√° Filharmonie (Supraphon); James Judd / Mahler Youth Orchestra (Regis); Bertini (EMI boxed set); Riccardo Chailly / Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (Decca) preferably SACD/hybrid.

Btw, there is a famous Bertini Mahler 9th with the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra (Fontec) SACD/hybrid only available in Japan -- very expensive that I am trying to obtain.
The Ancerl 9th is another good one, but I find it somewhat too emotional. Not quite as resigned as Abbado's new-Mahler, but still far more soppy than Boulez.
post #2046 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Welcome to the thread, and sorry about your wallet.
Hmmm.....yeah. Might turn into an expensive thread (not the first one) .
Anyway. Thanks again!
post #2047 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSmith08
The Ancerl 9th is another good one, but I find it somewhat too emotional. Not quite as resigned as Abbado's new-Mahler, but still far more soppy than Boulez.
Ancerl is not soppy. He is raging against the dying of the light and that, I think may mirror Mahler's own emotional state* so much better than Abbado's overly introspective version or Michael Tilson Thomas's glossy technicolor deathbed complete angels coming to bear the poor soul to a "better place." There is no self-pity or sentimentality in his version either. Boulez is also unsentimental but cold, more like a doctor clinically diagnosing his own death as it's happening. But, it's extremely well done if slightly repellent the way a beautiful viper is repellent. You can see the power but it's a look don't touch type of beauty.

*Obviously this is just my projection. I may be old, but there is no way I could have attended Mahler on his death bed. I know how much energy it takes to create and Mahler was working until his body quit on him. That's certainly not resignation, that is struggle.
post #2048 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Boulez is also unsentimental but cold, more like a doctor clinically diagnosing his own death as it's happening. But, it's extremely well done if slightly repellent the way a beautiful viper is repellent. You can see the power but it's a look don't touch type of beauty.
IMHO, the Boulez isn't so much a performance as an analysis. It's a great way to view the bones of the piece and to study it, but it doesn't bring it to life. (Or death, for that matter.)

M
post #2049 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from HFR
IMHO, the Boulez isn't so much a performance as an analysis. It's a great way to view the bones of the piece and to study it, but it doesn't bring it to life. (Or death, for that matter.)

M
Interestingly, I once did a comparison of several "DLvE"'s, just for the first chord in "Der Abschied" (to echo the utter desolation I was feeling in my last winter in Chicago). Boulez took the cake for such shivers he sent down my spine with that single sound. IMO he has this ability (from his experience with the New Viennese School composers?) unmatched by others to fill each single note or chord with indeliable expression or color. While others may draw more power from contexts of all kinds, he is the supreme "essentialist" conductor for me. (Is this making sense? )
post #2050 of 3714

And so it begins...

I drove to the "big city" today to replace my laptop battery, and of course there's a music store in the same shopping center, and... you know the rest

The Mahler section was modest, to say the least, but I did find two interesting recordings. My first priority is to pick up recordings that I still don't have CDs for (as opposed to files on my hard drive), so I got an M7 with Abbado and the CSO, on DG. I remembered some good comments about it on this thread.

I also picked up a 2 CD set of Kletzki conducting the M1 with VPO, and the M4 and Adagietto of M5 with the Philharmonia Orchestra. It's an old recording, not remastered, and doesn't have a full booklet (it just opens to show 2 pages of track listings). It's published by D Classics (?). I decided to get it because I also remembered positive comments on Kletzki (although in reference to a remastered version), and it was 2 CDs for the price of 1, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'll let you know how it turns out, since the M4 is one of the symphonies I'm most familiar with (my Bernstein DG version has been with me for years).
post #2051 of 3714
Thread Starter 
BD
Don't pay full price for those Abbado CDs at retail store, join www.yourmusic.com and get them for $5.99 each
post #2052 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from HFR
In addition to the great Bertini set, I recently got hold of the Inbal complete Mahler set on Brilliant, so I'll try to post some comments as I get to listen to various parts of it. I listened to his M9 last night and was pleased... eventually. It is a performance that intensifies as it progresses. I thought it was too reserved, too cool toward the beginning of the first movement. It became more engaging as is went along, though. The second movement Laendler had a pretty good edge to it and by the time it reached the third interruption by the fast waltz, it was spinning around crazily, a manic touch implied by the score but rarely met in most performances. The Burleske was spiky and energetic, and the finale was one of the most heartfelt things I've ever heard Inbal do. All in all, quite good. So here's my current Inbal lineup:

1- Fresh, pretty good.
2- Has some nice moments. Overall, perhaps a little underpowered.
3- Have to listen.
4- Best of cycle, one of the top 2 or 3 Mahler 4ths. Very fresh and alive.
5- Have to relisten: Didn't like it years ago last time I heard it
6- Have to listen.
7- Very good, lucid performance. Textures a bit lightweight in places.
8- Solid, good.
Das Lied- Have to listen.
9- Very good, builds up to nice intensity.
10 Adagio- Very good, more passionate than contemplative
10 Cooke- Better than Chailly, not as good as Wigglesworth or Rattle.

Mark
We are of one mind on Inbal M4, it has been high on my top 5 list since I first started it........Helen Donath sounds wonderful doing "childs vison of heaven" vocals in 4th movement

I find Inbal similar to Bertini in style and tempo of performance, Inbal may even be more clarified and lightly textured sounding very fresh if sometimes being touch lightweight.....this is perfect style for the more playful nature of Mahler 4th.
post #2053 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
BD
Don't pay full price for those Abbado CDs at retail store, join www.yourmusic.com and get them for $5.99 each
I looked into Yourmusic a few weeks ago, when I noticed the ad here on the forums. Unfortunately, it only ships to U.S. addresses .

I'm now listening to the Kletzki M4, by the way, and really enjoying it. I had only heard the Bernstein on DG before. In contrast to that one, I like Kletzki's "lightness", especially in the first movement.
post #2054 of 3714
bookdoctor,

so sorry about yourmusic! I'll just say "ouch" for your wallet.

I don't know where you are located, but aren't there other cd clubs that are available to you? I know that in Europe JPC has excellent prices as well as purchasing at Amazon from their partners.

Hopefully you will find a good source for your cd collecting.
post #2055 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookdoctor
I looked into Yourmusic a few weeks ago, when I noticed the ad here on the forums. Unfortunately, it only ships to U.S. addresses .

.
I think you said you lived in Thailand, right? Your best price might be from Amazon marketplace sellers (in the right nav bar on each CD listing of the US Amazon); some of the sellers will ship internationally. You can find some really good deals there. Some of us occasionally post here when we spot the good prices, as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings