or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings - Page 113

post #1681 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottder
I didn't try. That would suck if it wasn't an option.
Doc, were you ever successful in putting in an order at Amazon?
post #1682 of 3714
Bunnyears,
I have been almost completely absent in recent weeks on the Music forums and forgive me for what I have missed. I am very interested in the Mahler Symphony No.6 / Eiji Oue - Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra recording but would like to hear additional impressions of the work. I currently enjoy the Mitropoulos, Bernstein (Sony), and Karajan Mahler: Symphony No.6--if you are familiar with these recordings can you comment on how the Eiji Oue - Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra recording compares?


All,
Lastly, I wanted to inquire how I may purchase not only this disc but other out of print rare recordings. If anyone has any contact information for brick and mortar or online retailers that I may contact for hard to find recordings please share them!

Best,
iDesign
post #1683 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Major Mahler influx.......

Sinopoli/DG Complete Set
Despite the poor opinion of this set by the talking heads at Classics Today I got good price used on Ebay and picked up complete set. I know one thing the 5th in this set is one of the very best I have heard.......if complete set is as bad as Classics Today says then I can sell again for little cost to me.

Kubelik/DG Complete Set (jewel case with cool artwork)
In order to pick up 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 8th to go with my Kubelik/Audite 1,5,6,7,9 versions was cheaper just to buy used complete set of studio versions. This will allow the luxury for several symphonies to compare the studio version to the live Audite version.

post #1684 of 3714
DA,

I look forward to your comments, Kubeliks 1st on DG has been a favortie of mine for a while.
post #1685 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottder
DA,
I look forward to your comments, Kubeliks 1st on DG has been a favortie of mine for a while.
Interesting that the Audite live series of Kubelik Mahler symphonies is collected over a long period of time following the 1968-71 DG studio set:
M9 1975
M7 1976
M5 1981
M1 1979
So although I expect them to be basically similar in style, with that much time elapsed Kubelik probably had time to revise some of his thoughts on how to perform each symphony
post #1686 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Major Mahler influx.......

Sinopoli/DG Complete Set
Despite the poor opinion of this set by the talking heads at Classics Today I got good price used on Ebay and picked up complete set. I know one thing the 5th in this set is one of the very best I have heard.......if complete set is as bad as Classics Today says then I can sell again for little cost to me.
Interesting pulling out old Penguin Guide Compact Discs 1996 almost every Sinopoli/DG individual Mahler symphony release was given 3 stars and highly praised, the fact that Classics Today have such a different negative view does not concern me however as I find I sometimes disagree strongly with thier reviews especially David Hurwitz
post #1687 of 3714
I have the Sinopoli 1/5 DG Doubles. The M1 was not to my taste at all. The M5 is a little better, but again, it isn't one of my favorites. If the rest of them are like those, then this is a set I will take a pass on.

Edit: Hurwitz tends to like objectivist interpretations of Mahler, perhaps slightly overrating Gielen, but I think his assessment of the Sinopolis I've heard is spot on.
post #1688 of 3714
After a lot of doubts (I've got several versions of the 2nd) I bought (as a Christmas gift) the Kaplan's SACD of the Mahler's 2nd symphony.
And I don't regret it. His tempi are on the slow side but he manage to keep the tension and the music flows and breathes with emotion.
In some way I find him as the 'Celibidache of Mahler'. I know I'm exaggerating a little.
post #1689 of 3714
I am jumping a bit in the middle of things but i wondered if anybody had thoughts/remarks on this Bernstein DVD boxset ? Could that be a good starting point ?

I only have the 5th by Tennstedt on HMV Classics/EMI and was also considering his boxset.

Thanks

Papy
post #1690 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by papy
I am jumping a bit in the middle of things but i wondered if anybody had thoughts/remarks on this Bernstein DVD boxset ? Could that be a good starting point ?

I only have the 5th by Tennstedt on HMV Classics/EMI and was also considering his boxset.

Thanks

Papy
Instead of the Bernstein DVD set, get the CD set on Sony with NYPO, great place to start.
post #1691 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDesign
Bunnyears,
I have been almost completely absent in recent weeks on the Music forums and forgive me for what I have missed. I am very interested in the Mahler Symphony No.6 / Eiji Oue - Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra recording but would like to hear additional impressions of the work. I currently enjoy the Mitropoulos, Bernstein (Sony), and Karajan Mahler: Symphony No.6--if you are familiar with these recordings can you comment on how the Eiji Oue - Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra recording compares?


All,
Lastly, I wanted to inquire how I may purchase not only this disc but other out of print rare recordings. If anyone has any contact information for brick and mortar or online retailers that I may contact for hard to find recordings please share them!

Best,
iDesign
Hi,

I've been out of circulation for the last 2 weeks or so and haven't had a chance to listen to much music (the horror!), but briefly, the Oué Mahler is characterized by quick tempos (80'13" -- includes applause), alternating moods of tense anger revealed through the ominously pounding rhythms (similar to that racing heartbeat you can hear in your ears in the tensest situations) and incredibly lyrical and upbeat interludes; a meltingly beautiful Andante and then at the end a finale that really is incredibly frightening in its power to shock. Listening to the last movement, the first hammerblow is absorbed brushed off when the the second blow falls just as the hero rights himself and has regained a sense of normalcy, thus giving it a shockingly unexpected quality; to the final crash of tympany which although without the percussive hammer is so fierce that it may as well be a hammer blow! It is the coup de grace, this time anticipated with true horror. By the end I was crying because it all seemed so unfair -- as if fate has stepped in to deal the cruelest blows seemingly out of nowhere. A feeling of the perversity of nature and life is brought home incredibly effectively. I really need to listen more closely to see exactly how Oué has achieved this, but this is probably one of the best versions of this symphony I've ever heard. The cowbells, the rattling bones all are there in context and moreover they just are so organically right and evocative when you hear them. It beats MTT's M6 for feelings of tragedy and it also outdoes Zander in emotional intensity. It is an intensely personal Mahler, not a political Mahler. As far as comparing it to the Mitropoulos that I have, this one certainly has amazing sq, and I never felt as moved listening to the Mitropoulos as I do listening to the Oué. I'll have to pull out the Mitropoulos again and give it a listen later in the week and post more.
post #1692 of 3714
I picked up the Levi/Atlanta SO Mahler 4th used for about $5.00, and it is quite good which shouldn't have surprised me as it picked up the 10/10 from DH.

I also have tickets to hear Rattle conducting it later in the month with Magdalena Kožená singing. I don't really know what that will amount to as Rattle's Mahler seems to vary greatly from recording to recording. I am hopeful that this will turn out well as it is the Berliner Philharmoniker, and they are one of the great orchestras of the world.
post #1693 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
I have the Sinopoli 1/5 DG Doubles. The M1 was not to my taste at all. The M5 is a little better, but again, it isn't one of my favorites. If the rest of them are like those, then this is a set I will take a pass on.

Edit: Hurwitz tends to like objectivist interpretations of Mahler, perhaps slightly overrating Gielen, but I think his assessment of the Sinopolis I've heard is spot on.
I haven't read Hurwitz, so if he likes objectivist Mahler, I'd assume he does not like Sinopoli?
post #1694 of 3714
I've decided to try to spend some time with Mahler over the next month(s). My classical cd's are stored in a cabinet that is kind of difficult for me to access, so while I had it open, I grabbed these:

Mahler 1 - Judd (one of my favorites)
Mahler 2 - Mehta (70's analog)
Mahler 3 - Salonen (hopefully it's better than last time)
Mahler 4 - Rattle (never really formed an opinion on this one)
Mahler 5 - Solti (1990 Live recording - one of his last recordings?)
Mahler 6 - Boulez (Most recent DG recording)
Mahler 7 - Abaddo (80's version, an old favorite.. more "mystical" than Levine's)

Didn't pull an 8th, Das Lied or 9th for now..

-jar
post #1695 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonjar
I haven't read Hurwitz, so if he likes objectivist Mahler, I'd assume he does not like Sinopoli?
You are correct!

Btw, someone at another forum cited a Judd recording with the E.C. Youth Orchestra of Mahler's 9th (Regis) as worthy of a budget list of Mahler. Having never heard of such a recording, I wonder if you know anything about it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings