or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings - Page 82

post #1216 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
I found a Kubelik / DG Mahler 1st yesterday on DG vinyl. It really is a great performance, it lives up to the hype! Recommended. (I've never heard the Audite, that's supposed to be even better).
I have the Kubelik/Audite 1,5,6,9 and the Kubelik/DG Originals 1st.....I suppose the Audite is slightly better but it is not a large improvement IMO. All four of those Audites are very good....but none will break into my top three version list.

If I expanded list to top 4-6 versions then most of the Audites would make my list I believe.

Look what has just arrived for my listening pleasure: (Doc take note)
Abravanel/Vanguard Classics 5,6 (2CD used)
Abravanel/Vanguard Classics 2,4 (2CD used)
post #1217 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
I have the Kubelik/Audite 1,5,6,9 and the Kubelik/DG Originals 1st.....I suppose the Audite is slightly better but it is not a large improvement IMO. All four of those Audites are very good....but none will break into my top three version list.

If I expanded list to top 4-6 versions then most of the Audites would make my list I believe.

Look what has just arrived for my listening pleasure: (Doc take note)
Abravanel/Vanguard Classics 5,6 (2CD used)
Abravanel/Vanguard Classics 2,4 (2CD used)
Like the guy on schoolhouse rock used to say: Oh Yeah!!!

The acoustics on that set sound like nothing you've ever heard before - the recording venue (the Mormon tabernacle) is totally unique. The venue gives the strings a pleasantly unusual sound.

4 is simply awesome, the rest are pretty darn good as well.
post #1218 of 3714

Happy Birthday GM

Happy Birthday Gustave Mahler!
post #1219 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Happy Birthday Gustave Mahler!
Ah composers grow up so fast, seems just a 100 years ago he was but a conductor!
post #1220 of 3714
As a birthday present to Gus, we can note the announcement today that Franz Welser-Most and the Cleveland Orchestra will be recording a DVD of Mahler's 2nd... in 2007.
post #1221 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Happy Birthday Gustave Mahler!
100 years ago today, he was probably in Maiernigg working on the 7th.
post #1222 of 3714
Hooray! If today weren't so sad already, I'd recommend a party with M2, libations of various stripes, and food. Of course, it's hard to pass the dip through a modem.
post #1223 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
100 years ago today, he was probably in Maiernigg working on the 7th.
Close enough
post #1224 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSmith08
Hooray! If today weren't so sad already, I'd recommend a party with M2, libations of various stripes, and food. Of course, it's hard to pass the dip through a modem.
Yeah, I ruined one computer that way, and I'm not going to do it again...

Seriously, though, I might go ahead and crank the M2 this afternoon both as a tribute to old Gus, and to remind myself that there are great and glorious things in this world, too.
post #1225 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from HFR
As a birthday present to Gus, we can note the announcement today that Franz Welser-Most and the Cleveland Orchestra will be recording a DVD of Mahler's 2nd... in 2007.
Hopefully it wont be frankly worst than most.
post #1226 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Hopefully it wont be frankly worst than most.
Nah, there will be more than 100 people on stage, so it'll keep him interested.
post #1227 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from HFR
The full sobriquet was "Frankly Worse-Than-Most". FWM's biggest problem in London was that he took on a major orchestra at way too young of an age. His success in Cleveland has been mixed. The critic at the 'Plain Dealer', Don Rosenberg, strongly dislikes him, but then again, he overpraised Dohnanyi when he was there, so he's clearly partisan. As far as I can tell, FWM doesn't like to 'impose' upon the orchestra. If they show signs of getting excited about the music they're doing, then Franz seizes on that and it takes off. But if they aren't full of adrenaline, he doesn't like to push them. Perhaps that comes from him starting off as a violinist himself-- He only became a conductor because of a car wreck that mangled his hand, ending his violin career. I get the feeling he's happiest in collaborative situations, when the glaring spotlight isn't fully upon him alone. Thus, he's brilliant at opera, and his best concerts in Cleveland tend to be the huge works with chorus and soloists and everything. That provokes him to take charge, and there's plenty of energy flowing just because of the number of people involved. With something more modest like a Mozart symphony, though, he just kind of beats time. But at his best, he's capable of great things: Witness his recordings of M4, Bruckner 5, Korngold's c# minor Symphony, H.K. Gruber's 'Frankenstein!!', and Orff's 'Catulli Carmina'.

M
Are you prophetic or what? that quote is from way back when...

Well, I wonder if FWM will be doing the M2 on tour? If so, I'll try to get tickets if he comes to NY.
post #1228 of 3714

M2/Slatkin reissue in SACD from Telarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonjar
Very good news.. The Slatkin 2nd was one of my first Mahler cd's as well, and has long been one of my favorites. This might be enough to push me towards getting an SACD machine Though, I'm sure just having the remaster will be worth it.

-jar
I just received in the mail today this 2 SACD-60081 package of M2/Slatkin from Telarc, and the sound is just magnificent.

I especially like the relatively dry recording, with very little of the hall's ambience in the mix. None of the long echos that would be so distracting in Mahler's music is audible. The orchestral balance is just perfect.
post #1229 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhui
I just received in the mail today this 2 SACD-60081 package of M2/Slatkin from Telarc, and the sound is just magnificent.

I especially like the relatively dry recording, with very little of the hall's ambience in the mix. None of the long echos that would be so distracting in Mahler's music is audible. The orchestral balance is just perfect.
Interesting, how about the performance, for those of us not familiar with the Slatkin M2?

Scott
post #1230 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhui
I just received in the mail today this 2 SACD-60081 package of M2/Slatkin from Telarc, and the sound is just magnificent.

I especially like the relatively dry recording, with very little of the hall's ambience in the mix. None of the long echos that would be so distracting in Mahler's music is audible. The orchestral balance is just perfect.
How did you get it now? It's all preorder wherever I look.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings