or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings - Page 68

post #1006 of 3714
I have finished playing around with Kaplan's new[-er, it's a couple years old at this point, I think] recording of the 2nd, and I can honestly say I am very impressed. To me, he manages to put down one of the best recordings I have heard in a long time. His first movement is impressive, and the remaining parts are very good as well. His "Urlicht" could have been better, but that is more the soloist's problem than his. The Wiener Philharmoniker play with the requisite intensity and manage to sound right at the right times. In the Allegro maestoso, they come off very stately and impressive. At times, not many , but often enough, they reminded me of Bruckner. Kaplan seems to really understand this piece, maybe not in the same way as Klemperer did, but he manages to produce a record that deserves more than a passing mention.

The sound quality is astonishing. I bought the SACD version, and was blown away by the redbook CD layer. I haven't auditioned the CD version, but I assume that it is equal.

I wholeheartedly recommend this one to anyone interested in the 2nd or just good recordings.
post #1007 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Mark,

At one point I was fascinated with Sisi, the Archduke Rudolf, Maria Vetsera, Mayerling and everything about Imperial Vienna.

I have read other books by Frederic Morton, and this would really have appealed to me, but a quick check doesn't find it in the house. I've just ordered it from B&N along with it's sequel, Thunder at Twilight: Vienna 1913-1914. They will fit on the shelf very neatly next to The Guns of August and Nicholas and Alexandra. Morton has a new book just out this month, Runaway Waltz: A Memoir from Vienna to New York. That also sounds like it might make good reading while listening to Mahler and Bruckner.
Thanks for the tip, Bunny. I'll have to look for the new Morton. Ah, Vienna! (Insert swooning sounds here.)
post #1008 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodi
well , you have all my respect and congrats .. looking forward to see you here posting after the concert in 3 weeks ..
btw how much time do you dedicate playing for preparing the concert ?
well it depends....i havnt seen the music yet unlike the other sections (im percussion) and theres not that much in it...the orchestra do rehersals for a week and then a tour. Theres usually a few days in sections then its tutti. For preparing for this type of piece theres not much i can do but listen to recordings, theres no tough technical playing, its all about being musical...
post #1009 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from HFR
Thanks for the tip, Bunny. I'll have to look for the new Morton. Ah, Vienna! (Insert swooning sounds here.)
Vienna -- Sachertorte mit Schlag (insert slurping sounds here)
post #1010 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from HFR
Doc,

The 9th was the first in the series to be recorded, and it was not recorded in hi-res. The 4th (according to the small print) was recorded in hi-res, but as far as I know, it has never been released in hi-res. If I get a free moment today, I'll see if I can get hold of Amanda at Telarc and ask her if the 4 will ever be released in hi-res. Zander's M1 is due to be released this fall.

Cheers,
Mark
Doc,

According to Telarc's media contact, they have no current plans to release the Zander Mahler 4th in SACD format, and that they will not be re-recording the Mahler 9th.

Mark
post #1011 of 3714
Was in the cafe where sachertorte was invented several months back. Had a slice with a dram of Lagavulin. Delicious!!
post #1012 of 3714
Tyson,

I am drooling with envy!
post #1013 of 3714
What was rather disturbing was the Starbucks across the street, with their HUGE advertising signs dominating the entire end of the block.
post #1014 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson
What was rather disturbing was the Starbucks across the street, with their HUGE advertising signs dominating the entire end of the block.
Ugh! Well that just poops all over my dreams of Old Vienna!
post #1015 of 3714
Speaking of Vienna I picked up the Solti M8 on Decca Legends, even my quick listen in the car says this is going to be a nice one!
post #1016 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSmith08
I have finished playing around with Kaplan's new[-er, it's a couple years old at this point, I think] recording of the 2nd, and I can honestly say I am very impressed. To me, he manages to put down one of the best recordings I have heard in a long time. His first movement is impressive, and the remaining parts are very good as well. His "Urlicht" could have been better, but that is more the soloist's problem than his. The Wiener Philharmoniker play with the requisite intensity and manage to sound right at the right times. In the Allegro maestoso, they come off very stately and impressive. At times, not many , but often enough, they reminded me of Bruckner. Kaplan seems to really understand this piece, maybe not in the same way as Klemperer did, but he manages to produce a record that deserves more than a passing mention.

The sound quality is astonishing. I bought the SACD version, and was blown away by the redbook CD layer. I haven't auditioned the CD version, but I assume that it is equal.

I wholeheartedly recommend this one to anyone interested in the 2nd or just good recordings.
Agreed. I think the Kaplan is underrated, especially by those who snobbishly and condescendingly refer to him as an "amateur", which of course begs the question "what constitutes a professional?"

His is an ego-free interpretation (completely composer-centered), rock-solid performance and thrilling sonics. I see it as the closest thing to a reference 2nd that I've personally heard.
post #1017 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Agreed. I think the Kaplan is underrated, especially by those who snobbishly and condescendingly refer to him as an "amateur", which of course begs the question "what constitutes a professional?"

His is an ego-free interpretation (completely composer-centered), rock-solid performance and thrilling sonics. I see it as the closest thing to a reference 2nd that I've personally heard.
It's instructive to point out to anyone who derides amateurs that the word means "one who loves". I still prefer his earlier LSO recording, which strikes me as more passionate, but the DG is fine, and in much better sound.
post #1018 of 3714
I think not having the baggage of a lifetime in music or conducting really helps. He brings only his knowledge and love for the 2nd to the table. I cannot detect any ego with him. On the podium, anyway, I don't know much about him (other than the story) and I don't know if "Mad About Music" is still running on the radio. He comes as close to true transparency as I think is possible. He isn't looking for more money or a permanent post, so why shouldn't he give it his all and do a good job?

All in all, an excellent 2nd. Certainly, it could give one's new audio equipment a great workout, even if it did nothing else.

As to Solti's 8th, I really like it. He manages to take his drive and intensity and convert it to pure spirituality and brilliance. Having great orchestras, singers, choirs, and whatnot didn't hurt either. It is up there with Bohm's reading of Bruckner's 4th and a few others as the greatest of all time.
post #1019 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from HFR
It's instructive to point out to anyone who derides amateurs that the word means "one who loves". I still prefer his earlier LSO recording, which strikes me as more passionate, but the DG is fine, and in much better sound.
I have the older Kaplan/Conifer 2nd also bought back when it first came out, caused huge commotion back then as many reviewers were shocked it was a performance of great stature that competed head on with the giants......still don't know how he managed to get use of LSO and top rank vocalist like Maureen Forrester for his first ever recording?????

I don't have new DG VPO version which is supposed to incorporate additional research by Kaplan, but have read that it is more polished/refined.....which probably means I also would prefer older Conifer version. I am not a sound quality freak so slightly better sound not huge factor for me compared to performance.

Mahlerites.....
I have ordered some very hard to find Mahler recordings from 1960s-1970s never mentioned here before (even by Gracky ) should arrive soon......sorry can't let the cat out of the bag yet, but could be great find.
post #1020 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Mahlerites.....
I have ordered some very hard to find Mahler recordings from 1960s-1970s never mentioned here before (even by Gracky ) should arrive soon......sorry can't let the cat out of the bag yet, but could be great find.
Can't wait!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings