Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › How well ATH ESW10jpn are doing against the other full size hp's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How well ATH ESW10jpn are doing against the other full size hp's

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
I am starting this new thread, because I need more impressions/comparison with other high end hp's in the same price range please. Would they be the right choice for home use only or it is better to look at full size anyway, like W5000 for example. If I am not looking for a portable in particular, but for a closed back one, is it really wise to go with ESW10jpn?

So, if you can share, please do, would really appreciate.
post #2 of 38
im in the same boat as you...
post #3 of 38
I sent you a PM, blackmore
post #4 of 38
Not to thread-jack, but I dont think this question requires a whole new thread: How dependent are these cans on an amplifier to sound good? I'm especially worried because they'll be used portably.
post #5 of 38
Well these are portable phones at a low impedance. They sound awesome right out of a headphone jack out of a Zune. If your source is good, I don't see the reason you would need an amp with these.
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaluen View Post
Well these are portable phones at a low impedance. They sound awesome right out of a headphone jack out of a Zune. If your source is good, I don't see the reason you would need an amp with these.
he had good success amping ESW9 (as seen on his sig.) with his Zana deux. I guess that's why he's asking - to see if these do improve like ESW9 did.
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 View Post
he had good success amping ESW9 (as seen on his sig.) with his Zana deux. I guess that's why he's asking - to see if these do improve like ESW9 did.
good success or GREAT SUCCESS??

Also, I would assume then that the ESW10 would scale just as well with an amp as the ESW9. No headphone amp here to test with though, so I still need to find my 1/4" adapter so I can try on a speaker amp w/ hp out.
post #8 of 38
I had a listen to them with a bunch of other full-sized cans - the usual suspects such as my HD650s and Denon MD5000s - through a desktop amp and DACs. Personally at the price they are going for, I don't reckon they are at all good value as they don't come any where near the sound of a full-sized headphones (or even IEMs) worth considerably less.

The only reason I'd give to buy them is: You like the AT sound a lot and you want that sound in a set of portable cans. Still, $500 is a lot for what isn't really that much headphone.
post #9 of 38
Thread Starter 
Not sure who were mentioned, but I had a very good success using ESW9 with Zana, at the time I had her. The biggest issue is the short cable, but also some limitations, such as soundstage & airiness. I didn't use them often enough with my Yoshino to make a statement, but just yesterday listen to them with some TRANCE and they were bass monsters. I think the nature of Yoshino to produce a great mids makes it happened, so maybe change of tubes or even IC will help a bit, will do one day, but for a portable use they are to expensive, meaning ESW9 and ESW10jpn as well, imo. I never took my ESW9 outside, not a single time, but at home they do not get much use, so, I am thinking of full size instead, cos they would give me more high end performance than either these to, I guess. I am not saying they are bad or what ever, just in my situation isn't that useful, that's all.
I remember how exiting people were, huge hype I would say, when ESW9 came out at the new price of USD 400 and now I see ESW10 for USD 100 more after a month only I am quite suspicion about all this, not because I don't believe they are better, no, just that they would become some rare item, even with their limited production, just my opinion.

Back to the question, leaving the portable use behind, are they competitive to other USD 500 range closed back full size hp's? Not sure how many of such are there, W5000, Denon 5000 and...???

THX
post #10 of 38
their value lies more on aesthetic rather than SQ imho..
post #11 of 38
My friend tried the W5000's and fell in love at once, being a GS1000 owner in that time. He also enjoyed the ESW9 so ordered the ESW10JPN's later. Now they are for sale and he wants the ESW9 back.

Actually, you can send a PM to fallow81 and ask him what and why.
post #12 of 38
Thread Starter 
I did, and he did offer me ESW10jpn for a nice price, but...Must answer him, will do later.
I guess my feelings about full size instead of another ESW arent wrong, thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by majkel View Post
My friend tried the W5000's and fell in love at once, being a GS1000 owner in that time. He also enjoyed the ESW9 so ordered the ESW10JPN's later. Now they are for sale and he wants the ESW9 back.

Actually, you can send a PM to fallow81 and ask him what and why.
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
Back to the question, leaving the portable use behind, are they competitive to other USD 500 range closed back full size hp's? Not sure how many of such are there, W5000, Denon 5000 and...???
All the usual suspects are cheaper actually, closer to USD$400 than 500. Some are not. The full-sized ATs I listened to were the W10VTGs and they were considerably better, though a lot of that would have to do with their size. I think all ATs sound thin and boring (after listening to D5000s, just about everything else sounds thin and boring) though the W10s could be improved with thicker pads IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughnut View Post
their value lies more on aesthetic rather than SQ imho..
I reckon too.
post #14 of 38
Man I was just about to order the esw10s and now I'm hesitant on whether I should just buy the 9s instead and save 200 bucks... and buy a better amp instead.
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglee200 View Post
Man I was just about to order the esw10s and now I'm hesitant on whether I should just buy the 9s instead and save 200 bucks... and buy a better amp instead.

Save the money and get the amp. It's so not worth it, dude. IMO.

You know, the ESW10jpns may be the new king and the ESW9s are degraded to merely 'prince', but *****...Prince still kicks the Kings ass!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › How well ATH ESW10jpn are doing against the other full size hp's