Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › er6 gone, what next?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

er6 gone, what next?

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
the left earpiece of my er6 is not producing sound anymore. i think the wires are broken, because when i shift the wire to a certain position, there is sound again, but it sounds unbalanced. i am not interested in sending it back to etymotic for repair as the warranty is already over and sending it to and back + repair costs would probably be too expensive as i live in singapore, which is halfway around the world from the united states.

i am now looking at some earbuds which will provide a decent level of isolation. i have tried the sony ex70 before and they sounded too bright for me. i read the ex71 have fixed this problem and the bass is tighter too. i am also interested in the ex51 too. which would be a better option? the reviews on audiocubes for both are pretty good. i'm using a sharp dr7 minidisc recorder by the way, if that matters.

thanks.
post #2 of 23
Just ruling out all possible problems here, but you did try changing the filters right?
post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by plainsong
Just ruling out all possible problems here, but you did try changing the filters right?
yep. i did try changing the filters. its not a filter problem, i know. the wire is definitely broken somewhere.
post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
sorry. double post.
post #5 of 23
Ety's sure do break down a lot


I fear for my ER6

Also, try using another source. It may be your CD Player that doesn't produce a certain channel anymore.
post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by OriginalReaper
Ety's sure do break down a lot


I fear for my ER6

Also, try using another source. It may be your CD Player that doesn't produce a certain channel anymore.
yep. they are fragile and requires a lot of maintenance. i have changed over 4 set of filters in a little over 1.5 years of use. thats also part of the reason i would not consider sending it back for repair - the filters aren't cheap too.

when i plug another pair of earphones in, the sound is normal. the er6 definitely has a broken wire.
post #7 of 23
What about the Koss ear-plug haephones. I've heard nothing but good things about them, and being about $20USD, you're not at much of a loss if you don't like them. They also seem to be quite modifiable. fixup.net has an extensive mod page for the Koss earplug. Good luck, I'm looking for something to replace my er-6's right now too.
post #8 of 23
Me too.

I'm looking for something to replace my ER4s for use with my NJB3 because they're just totally devoid of bass at the phones out, even with the custom eq boosted, and I don't want to use an amp.

However, it's for use on the busses and trains, so I really want decent isolation -- as much to avoid irritating other passengers as to block out other noise from me -- but I don't want to be going around town looking like a yutz (to non-head-fi initiated) with some huge overear cans.
post #9 of 23
it seems that er6's are a bit fragile.. anyone have problems with 4s/p's breaking down? As long as you don't spray em with water they'll last, right?

i'm getting worried
post #10 of 23
My er6 problem is the clear lining on both the right and the left phone have one hole each in them. Kind of makes them impossible to sell, and it was just through normal use. I don't abuse my gear.

So I'm hoping that short corded 4p/s comes out soon.
post #11 of 23
DigDub
I haven't listened to the ER6 but the Ety 4X sound just awesome. They are not only great travel phones but can also match or outperform other cans in the $300 price range in terms of sonics
post #12 of 23
HI: The Shure E2c have a great cord and seem very durable. They sound great and have good bass. They cost under 100.00 and have good isolation. They also don't go in the ear very far and are comfortable.
post #13 of 23

Re: er6 gone, what next?

Quote:
Originally posted by DigDub
i am now looking at some earbuds which will provide a decent level of isolation. i have tried the sony ex70 before and they sounded too bright for me. i read the ex71 have fixed this problem and the bass is tighter too. i am also interested in the ex51 too. which would be a better option? the reviews on audiocubes for both are pretty good. i'm using a sharp dr7 minidisc recorder by the way, if that matters.

thanks.
Whatever you do, don't get the EX70/71. I assume the EX51 would be just as bad or worse. I've read the reviews at Audiocubes too, but they're not to be trusted. The EX71 were the worst headphones I've bought. They were extremely disappointing. You will hear a lot of bass, and it's the bad kind of bass. Also, the highs and mids are extremely bad. Other than its build quality and the little isolation that it gives you, it's a really bad pair of "cans" in terms of sound quality. It does seem like most people here really don't like the EX70/71.

If you want to buy them anyway, get them used from a fellow head-fier, but don't be surprised that you'll just be letting them collect dust after you've tried them a few times.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
HI: The Shure E2c have a great cord and seem very durable. They sound great and have good bass. They cost under 100.00 and have good isolation. They also don't go in the ear very far and are comfortable.
providing u have ears big enough to fit them. plus they do get a bit of getting use to.

good thing is though they are very low maintenance.. none of this filter changing business if your ears are dirty. quite nice sounding, providing u have a good source.
post #15 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by rawhit
DigDub
I haven't listened to the ER6 but the Ety 4X sound just awesome. They are not only great travel phones but can also match or outperform other cans in the $300 price range in terms of sonics
i won't be getting a $300 pairs of ear/headphones anytime soon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › er6 gone, what next?