Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › The first CD transport from Little Dot will be releasing soon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The first CD transport from Little Dot will be releasing soon - Page 2

post #16 of 176
Because some of us are too lazy or too poor to set up a good music server.

Besides, CD's are vastly superior to downloads as they are now.
post #17 of 176
Will it at least play SACD and DVD-Audio?
post #18 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_guy182 View Post
Will it at least play SACD and DVD-Audio?
No, once you start adding multiple playback abilities you start to lose quality unless every aspect of the unit is top notch, which would be exceedingly expensive, sometimes requiring separate power supplies even. LD is focused on creating mid range high quality products for the first time buyer. They won't want to create a product that has DVD-A and SACD that would end up retailing for $600+. Most of their products tend to be $400 or less.
post #19 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
Because there're people such as myself who have thousands of CDs and rather listen to them as such.
I ask this seriously: can you explain to me why you'd rather get up, shuffle thru physical stacks of possibly dusty media to insert into tray, wait for it to load (etc etc) - compared to being able to browse jukebox style on some gui with ALL your music (even video) on a nas in some other room (maybe in the basement where you can't even hear its drives noise)?

have you TRIED such a system?
post #20 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxworks View Post
I ask this seriously: can you explain to me why you'd rather get up, shuffle thru physical stacks of possibly dusty media to insert into tray, wait for it to load (etc etc) - compared to being able to browse jukebox style on some gui with ALL your music (even video) on a nas in some other room (maybe in the basement where you can't even hear its drives noise)?

have you TRIED such a system?
Surely the fact that it's a lot easier to set up factors in somewhere?? Also, CD transports are also a lot cheaper than computer + squeezebox rigs.
post #21 of 176
Besides, you act like CD cases are hideous, huge clunky things that aren't arrangeable at all. They make CD racks for a reason.
post #22 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxworks View Post
I ask this seriously: can you explain to me why you'd rather get up, shuffle thru physical stacks of possibly dusty media to insert into tray, wait for it to load (etc etc) - compared to being able to browse jukebox style on some gui with ALL your music (even video) on a nas in some other room (maybe in the basement where you can't even hear its drives noise)?

have you TRIED such a system?
You really need to chill. Everyone is encouraged to voice their opinion freely, you are belittling the posters and it is disgusting.

I agree with your points due to physical problems, but as another poster related to me, going through the motions of taking out the cd case, putting it in, having the case in your hand with the book gives you the chance to read it and make a more targeted listening experience. Back in the days of LPs you had no choice but to do this, you'd end up with the sleeve in your hands and often you'd end up reading it while listening. You'd become a more informed music lover, and your listening session evolves to something greater than if you were just listening to the radio, for example.

The real answer could be to have both forms of listening. I certainly have my music on my computer and play it back while I'm surfing, etc. when I'm not really wanting to focus on the music. I also have a single cd player headphone rig that is in an isolated area with no distractions. I find this experience to be more fulfilling musically, but realize that it isn't as efficient.

In the end, the experience each person is looking to achieve will determine what type of setup they desire. In many cases I would assume the answer would be like mine, have both. I can certainly see where some would be only one or only the other, though I must admit I see your example as being the smallest portion, as it requires the most complexity and investment (at least for mid-fi price levels).
post #23 of 176
Thread Starter 
Don't think this will be a SACD Trans. Only a few SACD trans on the market and perhaps no one is retailed at that price. BTW, Not only cdps needs some space, computers need a desk too.
post #24 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridacnid View Post
Besides, you act like CD cases are hideous, huge clunky things that aren't arrangeable at all. They make CD racks for a reason.
lived that for years. at one time, you had no other choice.

today you do. you can choose to be stuck in the past or you can embrace modern technology.

there's zero technical benefit to realtime opto disc playback and in fact you get lower quality (sometimes) when you get errors that would have been fixed if you had time (buffering, non-realtime via a rip/encode process).

I am old enough to remember LPs and being involved in 'the process' of having to clean them but also being able to look at their artwork on the large sleeves.

the bundling of the sleeves and the music has no *intrinsic* value to me, to be honest. while it was once needed (a cover to protect the sensitive and easily scratched vinyl) its just no longer needed.

covers, today, are wrappings or MD5 sums to ensure that the files are intact over time. its a quite different take on 'protection' of the media.

but having to wade thru stacks of plastic media to play a song, wow. I can't believe people really would prefer such a thing given a choice.

if you want to view artwork, you're free to do so while the music plays. the 2 acts are not anymore bundled but they *can* be if you want them to be, I guess. just pull up the .jpg and stare at that while the .flac plays
post #25 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post
You really need to chill. Everyone is encouraged to voice their opinion freely, you are belittling the posters and it is disgusting.
perhaps you are not used to the frankness of my style.

but I object to you calling anything I say or write 'disgusting'.

fwiw...
post #26 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXII View Post
Surely the fact that it's a lot easier to set up factors in somewhere?? Also, CD transports are also a lot cheaper than computer + squeezebox rigs.
cheaper? wow - the prices audiophiles are convinced to pay for things, I'm not so sure!

I think you can get a pc for $100 (perhaps used, perhaps even free, then) that has usb ability. add in another few bucks for a usb dac. add in $30 for a dvd drive if it does not have one. add in $100 for a terabyte (can't believe I'm saying that but its now $100 for 1tb!).

you have both ends covered. you now can playback with bit perfection (I'm enjoying the 'less than $50 bantam dac' and it really is a super low entry point for great sound). and you can also rip to disk for as little as a $20 or $30 dvdrom drive and free software.

this is a VERY low cost way to go!

even a 10yr old used laptop (mine is about 10 yrs old, btw) is perfectly fine for both the rip/encode and the playback side of things.

even better: we're now at the point where SSD (solid state disks) are becoming cheaper, so you can install your os of choice with no 'magic tricks' needed and get a 100% fanless noiseless solution. its a great time in computing right now

store your files on unencumbered (normal formated) disks and you can pick your playback style (on a pc or on a 'set top box' kind of device) and you can even change it over time. the hurdle is getting the music on disk and agreeing that going that route is worth it in the long run.

and it is. it really is.
post #27 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxworks View Post
perhaps you are not used to the frankness of my style.

but I object to you calling anything I say or write 'disgusting'.

fwiw...
Frankness and calling into question a person's common sense are very different things.

You write things like 'How can you live in the past with all those old inefficient methods, when there are new 'better' things that only a person with any sense would use'.

You may not realize it, but that is the message you have conveyed in this thread.

Your post #26 on the other hand is how you should have posted all along. Explaining how to setup the system you describe, the availability at cheap prices, and describing the virtues of such a system. #26 is a great post because it doesn't slam anyone's intelligence, instead it offers information for the reader to make their own judgment. If your argument is persuasive enough they will agree and you will have won.
post #28 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxworks View Post
why, though? for old-tyme reasons?

I'm curious. there are no tech advantages to playback of a single disc on an outdated playback system.

optical reads ARE worse than hard disk reads. its a known fact that 'ripping' from cd needs error correction and the streaming you get from 'non-retry' kind of i/o is inferior.

so why the love for a has-been method of bit playback?

You're wrong. A real drive smokes any computer transport; have a look at the teac "VRDS" system: a metal glove around the disc which cancel all vibrations.
post #29 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolida302 View Post
You're wrong. A real drive smokes any computer transport; have a look at the teac "VRDS" system: a metal glove around the disc which cancel all vibrations.
I think linuxworks was talking about storing the digital audio information on the computer's hard disk drive, after using the computer's CD drive to read the digital audio information from the actual CD. I don't think there was a suggestion that the digital audio information would be fed to a DAC directly from the computer's CD drive.

(I use both computers and CD players to listen to my CDs – different tools for different situations.)

Notwithstanding all of this, does anyone know any more about the alleged new CD transport and DAC from Little Dot? I've been looking for a good-value, non-DIY CD transport for some time, and something that offers value as a good as a Little Dot headphone amplifier could be a real contender.
post #30 of 176
I have a very modern machine; it plays CDs and all it has is a little display; It fits my needs perfectly since I got lots of CDs and they don't seem to get old; I don't even need a screen to select the music, and the startup time is a few seconds and it never crashes.
Oh, and it sounds great to, much better then my PC-setup.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › The first CD transport from Little Dot will be releasing soon