Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › UE10 or 11 With Zune 120 / Tomahawk?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UE10 or 11 With Zune 120 / Tomahawk?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I am in process of replacing my entire portable rig, and all that are left to pick up are a better interconnect and new custom IEMs. Does anyone have experience with the new Zune and a well burned-in Tomahawk, along with UE customs?

I've had UE10 Pros before, and loved the sound signature, but seeing as how I'm getting new, if the 11s are really an upgrade, I'll go that route. My concern is that the Zune's HP out is just a tad bass-centric (but really sweet sounding), and of course I've read reports about the 11s' bass... uh, BASS!

A very knowledgeable Head-Fi'er has already advised against the 11s, but I'd appreciate hearing from the rest of you.

Comments? Questions? Cake Recipes?
post #2 of 16
i used an ibasso boa with the zune headphone out and after 3 days of extensive comparision with my triples there was almost no discernible difference to my ears. of course my ears may be different than your ears.

but me thinks you need a line out.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks. Yeah, I did the same comparo, and found gains in SQ using the Tomahawak, at least to my ears. More authoritative bass, better instrument separation, and an increased sense of 'space' in the music.

Also, I find the Zune's HP-Out (w/ volume at full) to be smoother and more balanced than my iPod's Line-Out, but again, that's just to my ears. The iPod does have a slight edge in micro detail, though.

Anyone else have any comments/suggestions?
post #4 of 16
I love my ue-11. I feel they have a full and balanced sound for the music I like. I though it balanced well with my tomahawk and my ipod I had.
post #5 of 16
I think you will be very happy with the UE-11. The bass is slightly overwhelming at first, but it really doesn't interfere with the other frequencies, and when you get used to the bass you notice that these earphones are really something else.

I think the bass is brilliant, I was even going to go for the Hornet!
post #6 of 16
^ you have TWO UE-11s? lucky man lol
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBJackson View Post
I am in process of replacing my entire portable rig, and all that are left to pick up are a better interconnect and new custom IEMs. Does anyone have experience with the new Zune and a well burned-in Tomahawk, along with UE customs?

I've had UE10 Pros before, and loved the sound signature, but seeing as how I'm getting new, if the 11s are really an upgrade, I'll go that route. My concern is that the Zune's HP out is just a tad bass-centric (but really sweet sounding), and of course I've read reports about the 11s' bass... uh, BASS!

A very knowledgeable Head-Fi'er has already advised against the 11s, but I'd appreciate hearing from the rest of you.

Comments? Questions? Cake Recipes?

what happened to your UE-10 Pros? it is my impression from reviews and frequency response charts, that the UE-11 has a distinctly different sound signature, with more emphasis at the low end, and less balance throughout.

i find the UE-10s bass to be quite good with a supermacro, and i think the tomahawk would be similar, if not a bit better.

i am curious how you would compare your current Triple.Fi 10s to your previous UE-10 Pros... are the Triple.Fis just universal versions of the 10 Pros, or do they have a unique sound?

cheers,
phil
post #8 of 16
what I don't get is how adding a mid-range driver makes the bass more emphasized if anything I would think the mid's were a little emphasized
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPhil View Post
what happened to your UE-10 Pros?
It's pretty heartbreaking, actually. We had a bunch of work done at our house (new flooring, doors, painting etc.) a couple of months ago, and with all of the trades traipsing through the casa, some of our stuff went... uh, missing... like my entire freaking portable rig. We have since torn the house apart, and it is indeed gone. iPod Classic 160 Gb, custom ALO Jena Cryo dock, Hornet M, and TWO pairs of UE10 Pros The worst part is that since we had 4 different contractors working at once, there is complete deniability on each of their parts. Some laborer likely saw the Waterfield bag, opened it up, saw a shiny black iPod, tried to yank the LOD out to snag the Pod, and said "screw it, I'll just take the whole thing". It's been a very painful experience to say the least, and the only way I could live with it was to start fresh, and try different gear (I know, a bit silly, but man, this hurt...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPhil View Post
it is my impression from reviews and frequency response charts, that the UE-11 has a distinctly different sound signature, with more emphasis at the low end, and less balance throughout.
That's pretty much my take as well, at least from what I've read/heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPhil View Post
i find the UE-10s bass to be quite good with a supermacro, and i think the tomahawk would be similar, if not a bit better.
I never found the 10 Pros to be at all lacking in bass with the Hornet either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPhil View Post
i am curious how you would compare your current Triple.Fi 10s to your previous UE-10 Pros... are the Triple.Fis just universal versions of the 10 Pros, or do they have a unique sound
I like the Triple.fis, but the 10 Pros are in a different class altogether. More balanced bass, better detail, improved instrument separation, etc.

Hmmm... I may have just talked myself into getting another pair of UE10 Pros .... we'll see

Thanks for the responses, everybody!
post #10 of 16
wow, that really sucks. can you claim the loss on your homeowners policy? i especially hate when people steal stuff they can't use, such as custom IEMs, or in my case, a pair of prescription sunglasses...

i think if you were happy with the UE-10s the best thing would be to get another pair. or get the 11s and tell all of us whether or not we need to "upgrade"...

the reason i asked about the triple.fis is that i'll soon be getting an iphone, and i'm intrigued by the new IEMs with mic in the cable, plus i don't want to carry an amp around. the TF10vi seems the closest i'd be able to get to the UE-10 straight out of the iphone, though perhaps the ety hf2 is also worth a look. it would be a good bit cheaper...
post #11 of 16
Wow, thats suck. Two pairs of UE10 probably cost more than other equipments combined...
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPhil View Post
wow, that really sucks. can you claim the loss on your homeowners policy?
We're currently investigating filing a homeowners insurance claim... nonetheless, my acquisition of gear will continue, regardless of whether I will get reimbursed or not. With my business travel schedule, mobile hi-fi audio is not a luxury, it's an absolute necessity.

I'm thinking at this point that the 10 Pros are indeed the way I'll go. Will report back once they've been ordered/received/experienced.
post #13 of 16
The UE11 has more treble and more bass than the UE10, along with a larger sound image than the UE10. Per Jeannette Coffey at UE..

I own the UE11's and decided to go with these VS the UE10's because I have a HP-2 which satisfies the neutral side of me and because several reps at UE indicated that most audiophiles surprisingly prefer the 11s to the 10s. I cannot compliment enough the UE11s, should have owned these a long time ago.

Sorry to hear of the OP's bad fortune, hope you work something out soon. Good news is that UE has already your scanned molds on file, so no need to obtain impressions again.

Also, the UE11 sounds awesome straight out of the Zune 120. However, I also have experience using the Zune Via an iQube, Predator, and Pico. Sound was a bit warm with the Predator with accented marks in the low band and high band. Sound was more neutral out the Pico and even moreso the iQube. I preferred the iQube by a fair margin for the largest spatial consideration and most natural timbre overall.

I am going to UE next week and shall hear side by side the UE10 pro and UE11 pro (their universal pairs for people to try out with disposable tips) I am bringing some sources including an iMod, iPod, Zune, and others..
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofiler View Post
I am going to UE next week and shall hear side by side the UE10 pro and UE11 pro (their universal pairs for people to try out with disposable tips) I am bringing some sources including an iMod, iPod, Zune, and others..
You wouldn't happen to be going on Friday, by chance? Would love to join you if so. If not, who are you seeing at UE? I've lost my primary contacts there (Mike and Jerry).

Looking forward to hearing your comments on the 10s vs. 11s.
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Any other opinions before I pull the trigger?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › UE10 or 11 With Zune 120 / Tomahawk?