Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: Woo Audio WA6 vs. WA6SE (stock units)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Woo Audio WA6 vs. WA6SE (stock units) - Page 32

post #466 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.rav View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm quite newbie to this tube amps world.

What are those things that are covering the tubes?


Thanks,
Hal-O tube dampers:

Herbie's Audio Lab: Tube Dampers

Simon
post #467 of 508
What good would these possibly do when listening to headphones, assuming your speakers aren't simultaneously fired up or there's some other source of external vibration to "rattle" the tubes? My room is quiet, and I don't even touch my audio rack during a usual headphone listening session. So, why the tube dampers on a headphone amp?
post #468 of 508
^ I was about to ask about it. Is there any particular reason to use the damper? Will it actually improve the SQ?
post #469 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclamb View Post
Hal-O tube dampers:

Herbie's Audio Lab: Tube Dampers

Simon
Thanks for the reply and link, now I just have to do a bit of research about the damper. I'm just curious, it seems a number of people are using dampers on their tubes.
post #470 of 508
I am one of those that uses HAL products too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.rav View Post
Thanks for the reply and link, now I just have to do a bit of research about the damper. I'm just curious, it seems a number of people are using dampers on their tubes.
post #471 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.rav View Post
Thanks for the reply and link, now I just have to do a bit of research about the damper. I'm just curious, it seems a number of people are using dampers on their tubes.
Well, there are those that believe that there are enough small vibrations around an amp that could cause vibration in the tubes, however small that might be.

Given the relatively cheap price of the Hal-O dampers comapred to the price of my amp and phones, I decided it would not do any harm to have them fitted on the tubes.

Do they make a noticeable difference? Not to my ears, but at least I have covered off another variable in things that can adversely affect the sound.

Simon
post #472 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclamb View Post
Well, there are those that believe that there are enough small vibrations around an amp that could cause vibration in the tubes, however small that might be.

Given the relatively cheap price of the Hal-O dampers comapred to the price of my amp and phones, I decided it would not do any harm to have them fitted on the tubes.

Do they make a noticeable difference? Not to my ears, but at least I have covered off another variable in things that can adversely affect the sound.

Simon

Thanks! I actually have a pair of tube dampers on my phono section's 12AX7's. I figure they might be useful there when I fire up my power amp and speakers. I honestly can't tell a difference in that application, either.
post #473 of 508
^ I might just get them just for my curiosity purposes.
post #474 of 508
Some like them but I have found that they can deaden the sound some. I prefer not a noisy tube but one that is slightly microphonic. It adds a bit of life and dimension to the sound that to my ear, is not unnatural. Also, while the dampening of the heavy tube rings would be understandable in application, there are also heat resistant O rings that you can get at the auto store that will also work. I just used teflon tape, and it works but again I don't like the dampening effect. With teflon you just spin it into a string and then wrap that around the tube a number of times, but not all over or you cut some of the ability of the glass to dissipate heat and this can be done in a few areas. Cheap and effective.
post #475 of 508
After putting around 50 hours (I wrote down the times I used it) on the WA6, I've decided to stop using it due to the superiority of my Stax SR-202.

I might still use the HD650 directly out of my laptop during the times when I get tired of of the HFI-780.

Paying $620 for an EQ (that was flawed) and extra harmonics was a bad idea.
post #476 of 508

You Might...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraro25 View Post
After putting around 50 hours (I wrote down the times I used it) on the WA6, I've decided to stop using it due to the superiority of my Stax SR-202.

I might still use the HD650 directly out of my laptop during the times when I get tired of of the HFI-780.

Paying $620 for an EQ (that was flawed) and extra harmonics was a bad idea.
That's surprising.

You might want to burn it in a while longer and swap the tubes... and... maybe try it with another source... before making a final judgment.

Though... that does imply "the headache" of more investment, and "fiddling around." I can certainly understand anyone's reluctance to "endure" all of that, when they're pleased with the sound of their current system.

From my experience... my WA6 SEM didn't begin to "bloom" for a couple of hundred hours, and still hasn't yet fully burnt in (Blackgates). But... it's beginning to show detail, clarity, and air... it didn't begin to reveal in the first 100+ hours.

And... its hard to believe any Stax system has the same bass, weight, impact and dynamics... despite the greater speed, presence, clarity, detail and air of electrostats.
post #477 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradofan2 View Post
That's surprising.

You might want to burn it in a while longer and swap the tubes... and... maybe try it with another source... before making a final judgment.

Though... that does imply "the headache" of more investment, and "fiddling around." I can certainly understand anyone's reluctance to "endure" all of that, when they're pleased with the sound of their current system.

From my experience... my WA6 SEM didn't begin to "bloom" for a couple of hundred hours, and still hasn't yet fully burnt in (Blackgates). But... it's beginning to show detail, clarity, and air... it didn't begin to reveal in the first 100+ hours.

And... its hard to believe any Stax system has the same bass, weight, impact and dynamics... despite the greater speed, presence, clarity, detail and air of electrostats.
I'll agree without any doubt. Even my 6SE is in standard component, it takes more than 500 hrs of burn-in since I received in mid-March. It will let you here more than you expected. You have to wait and keep burning in, be patient and wait, you'll be rewarded with its wonderful sounds finally.

Cheers
post #478 of 508
It appears he simply prefers the Stax sound.
post #479 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
It appears he simply prefers the Stax sound.
That's fine, the Stax and Woo's tube amp are in different sound character. Hope the OP could enjoy music no matter in what kind of system, it's just music enjoyment.
post #480 of 508

That's Fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannie01 View Post
That's fine, the Stax and Woo's tube amp are in different sound character. Hope the OP could enjoy music no matter in what kind of system, it's just music enjoyment.
That's fine...

My point / question was simply... that... to make such a comparison, and make such a judgment may be premature... until... the WA6 is fully burnt in.

I'm finding my WA6 SEM is a totally different amp (much better)... than... when it was new.

On the other hand... I doubt... few, if any, dynamic setups will ever have quite the same speed, clarity, detail and air... as an electrostatic setup.

If someone prefers that type of sound to one with greater bass, weight, impact, dynamics - I can certainly appreciate that preference. Perhaps, the sound of a new WA6, may be so far away from the STAX, that he thinks that it could never approach the sound of the STAX, which he prefers, even with sufficient burn in. I suppose that could be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: Woo Audio WA6 vs. WA6SE (stock units)