Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: Woo Audio WA6 vs. WA6SE (stock units)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Woo Audio WA6 vs. WA6SE (stock units) - Page 4

post #46 of 508
the resistor is brown brown black black brown or 110 ohms...
i'll check the other values at another time...it's a pain to work with
the umbilical cord restricting the movement.

*correction: the resistor is brn blk blk brn brn or 1K ohms... makes more sense.
post #47 of 508
Oh maybe some but not enough to matter in my opinion. The 6DE7 is inexpensive, there are many around and it should last a long time anyway. I would have to measure the actual current draw to see what it is operating at but I would go for the higher power. I think the resistor between the pins needs to be of the highest quality.

The tants from Japan are only the 1/2 watt. I would prefer the 2 watt for sound. The 1/2 watt would work but bigger wattage resistors just sound better. Even Audio Note UK will use 2 watt resistors in critical places where even a 1/8 or 1/4 watt would work. I started using large resistors years ago.
post #48 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbglenn View Post
John,

Since the standard 6 supplies less voltage to the plate, should the tube last longer then?
i believe the max dc voltage to the plate for the 6de7 is 275v... still well within
the spec of the tube... the max for the 6ew7 is 330v.
post #49 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by takezo View Post
the resistor is brown brown black black brown or 110 ohms...
i'll check the other values at another time...it's a pain to work with
the umbilical cord restricting the movement.
Sure, thanks a lot for checking.
post #50 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
Oh maybe some but not enough to matter in my opinion. The 6DE7 is inexpensive, there are many around and it should last a long time anyway. I would have to measure the actual current draw to see what it is operating at but I would go for the higher power. I think the resistor between the pins needs to be of the highest quality.

The tants from Japan are only the 1/2 watt. I would prefer the 2 watt for sound. The 1/2 watt would work but bigger wattage resistors just sound better. Even Audio Note UK will use 2 watt resistors in critical places where even a 1/8 or 1/4 watt would work. I started using large resistors years ago.
john, aren't the larger, higher watt capacity resistors more inductive also?
post #51 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by takezo View Post
john, aren't the larger, higher watt capacity resistors more inductive also?
There are wire wound resistors that are inductive, which in a power supply isn't a bad thing. There are the Mills that are done in such a way that they cancel and are non-inductive and then there are tants and carbon that are not inductive. Being larger doesn't make them inductive as tants and carbon aren't inductive.
post #52 of 508
thanks for the explanation.
post #53 of 508
I should add that there is inductance to be found in even the carbon and tants and in the "non" inductive special resistors like the Mills but it is so low that they are considered non inductive for all practical purposes. Inductance resists AC but not pure DC so an inductor resistor in the power supply can do some good in reducing ripple. But they can also add "sound" because they can add a certain overlaying frequency to the DC. This is why the Mills is often used as it does an excellent job of dropping voltage but does little to add anything to the DC.
post #54 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by takezo View Post
thanks for the explanation.
So where are the images of your amp?
post #55 of 508
Orcin, very good write up. Although, I did not get much time with the amp, I did think it had a very good sound. Definitely worthy of your praise.
post #56 of 508
A question still burning in my mind though, is how the WA2 would compare to the WA6 SE (for headphones use, excluding preamp functionality)?

Based on the toppologies, I would assume the WA2 has more of a warm, smooth, flowing midrange; the WA6 SE having more punch and dynamics. I believe both would handle all cans well - both high and low impedance (in particular after the change to the EZ80 in the WA2).

Has anyone heard these two, either together (e.g., at a meet) or on separate occassions?
post #57 of 508
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollie View Post
Orcin, very good right up. Although, I did not get much time with the amp, I did think it had a very good sound. Definitely worthy of your praise.
Thanks. I am now enjoying the information flow while John, takezo, and atbglenn dissect takezo's WA6SE. I am learning a lot about the design of the amp, and it's all free!





By the way... takezo, where did you get that WA6SE? Did you buy it or borrow it? If the latter, does the owner know what you are about to do to it?
post #58 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Thanks. I am now enjoying the information flow while John, takezo, and atbglenn dissect takezo's WA6SE. I am learning a lot about the design of the amp, and it's all free!
Free? who said anything about free? we just haven't sent you a bill yet
post #59 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbglenn View Post
Free? who said anything about free? we just haven't sent you a bill yet
Plus the future upgrades to your WA6SE
post #60 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantze View Post
Plus the future ungrades to your WA6SE
If we ungrade, shouldn't we get some money back? ok ok! I'm a wiseguy! Like I never make typos! LOL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: Woo Audio WA6 vs. WA6SE (stock units)