Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: Woo Audio WA6 vs. WA6SE (stock units)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Woo Audio WA6 vs. WA6SE (stock units) - Page 27

post #391 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmind View Post
I dont think you have to worry about the light emitted from the tubes. Remember that all these tube glow pics are taken with long exposure/high ISO settings etc and that's why the tubes appear so bright. In reality, the tube glow is hardly anything to keep anyone awake, unless you are listening to music
To be honest, the tube glow is so warm it puts me to sleep. I have so many CDs where I have only heard the first three tracks

Simon
post #392 of 508
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyzTH View Post
How long you guys listen to WA6 continuously? On the site, Jack recommend that it should not over 10hrs. Sometimes, I listen to music and fall asleep. So it may be more 10hrs if I do that.

Many times during the burn-in period, I ran the amp for 12-13 hours continously without incident. It did not seem any hotter at the end of 12 hours than 10 hours. Sometimes I would turn it off after 12 hours, let it cool down for an hour or two, and then run it for another 8-10 hours. It has shown no ill effects.
post #393 of 508
One more question. I just got WA6SE from other head-fier. When I tried it at first with Sophia and 6EW7 combo, it worked really fine. When I went back home and tried it again, it couldn't work and I found a fuse was dead. I went to Radshack to get the replacement. just turn it on and the Princess flashed inside! and a fuse is dead again. -_-"

I don't know what's wrong with it. I connect the WA6SE with Signal Cable power cord. I guess that shouldn't be a problem, isn't it?


-------

EDIT: after changing to another combo, the problem is the Sophia which makes the fuse dead. Everytime I put the Sophia in and turn the amp on, it flashed. I guess I need to contact Jack Wu for the clarification.
post #394 of 508

Jack Made A Change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyzTH View Post
One more question. I just got WA6SE from other head-fier. When I tried it at first with Sophia and 6EW7 combo, it worked really fine. When I went back home and tried it again, it couldn't work and I found a fuse was dead. I went to Radshack to get the replacement. just turn it on and the Princess flashed inside! and a fuse is dead again. -_-"

I don't know what's wrong with it. I connect the WA6SE with Signal Cable power cord. I guess that shouldn't be a problem, isn't it?


-------

EDIT: after changing to another combo, the problem is the Sophia which makes the fuse dead. Everytime I put the Sophia in and turn the amp on, it flashed. I guess I need to contact Jack Wu for the clarification.
Jack made a change in the design of the SE late last summer to make it compatible with the Princess - changed an inductor or resistor value in each circuit. Earlier designs typically caused a flash in the Princess, which may be what's causing your issue. You may need to return it to him, to be updated.

There's an extensive discussion of the change in one of the Woo Audio 6 threads - maybe this one.

It seems to operate fine with other rectifiers - but, the Princess has different requirements.
post #395 of 508
Thanks Gradofan2.

I already got the response from Jack. he asked me to send the PSU unit and the Sophia back.
post #396 of 508
Don't worry. Jack is good on this and you will get the PSU back working perfectly with the Sophia.
post #397 of 508

Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclamb View Post
Don't worry. Jack is good on this and you will get the PSU back working perfectly with the Sophia.
Yeah...

... that's one of the benefits of buying a Woo Audio amp, which may not always be fully appreciated: their elegant design and construction, and the exceptional customer service... unlike... "some other amps / vendors we know."

Confidence and peace-of-mind are worth a lot!
post #398 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradofan2 View Post
Yeah...

... that's one of the benefits of buying a Woo Audio amp, which may not always be fully appreciated: their elegant design and construction, and the exceptional customer service... unlike... "some other amps / vendors we know."

Confidence and peace-of-mind are worth a lot!
X2 on that.
post #399 of 508
Hello

In my WA6-SE the EML 274B is a little loose in the socket . Do you know how to correct this ?
post #400 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoff View Post
Hello

In my WA6-SE the EML 274B is a little loose in the socket . Do you know how to correct this ?
You ca find how to fix it easily by yourself in this thread in p.56-57, from post #837 that what sclamb was having the similar problem then solved.

Hope this help.
post #401 of 508
Yes, close them pins up a bit and it will grip the tube better. I would only bother doing this if the sound is being affected.
post #402 of 508
Thank you for your replies .
post #403 of 508
I think I'll just spring for a WA6SE with the upgrades and enjoy it for a few years instead of rushing to go balanced. It's way too much money because on top of the amp, I'll have to get all the headphones recabled. I like what I've been hearing about the WA6SE.
post #404 of 508
You could always go for the WA5 LE, that was my "compromise."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
I think I'll just spring for a WA6SE with the upgrades and enjoy it for a few years instead of rushing to go balanced. It's way too much money because on top of the amp, I'll have to get all the headphones recabled. I like what I've been hearing about the WA6SE.
post #405 of 508
Where I can get a pair of RCA fat bottle 6FD7? I couldn't find it on eBay and at tubedepot.com, they only mention as NOS-tubes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: Woo Audio WA6 vs. WA6SE (stock units)