Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread - Page 522

post #7816 of 8031
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post


Nothing wrong with a bit of passion. smily_headphones1.gif I wonder how on earth Sennheiser managed to put such a flawed 'phone into production as their flagship IEM.

 

Out of all the IEMS/headphones I have heard, the IE8 is still the one I enjoyed most. Every phone is flawed in somebodies mind, but the IE8 really stands out to me as a unique and incredible earphone. I think if you wanna say it was so flawed, then every other phone is quite flawed as well.

 

As always, it's subjective.

 

Talk to a different person and they will find some flaws in anything. What one person considers a flaw, another person may love. Never gonna please everyone. :P


Edited by Zalithian - 1/25/13 at 2:35pm
post #7817 of 8031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalithian View Post

 

Out of all the IEMS/headphones I have heard, the IE8 is still the one I enjoyed most. Every phone is flawed in somebodies mind, but the IE8 really stands out to me as a unique and incredible earphone. I think if you wanna say it was so flawed, then every other phone is quite flawed as well.

 

As always, it's subjective.

 

Talk to a different person and they will find some flaws in anything. What one person considers a flaw, another person may love. Never gonna please everyone. :P


That's why this is a cool hobby/obsession! No offence meant. I've lived with the IE8 for a couple of years. Had a lot of fun with them but very aware of who untrue to the recording they are.

post #7818 of 8031
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post


That's why this is a cool hobby/obsession! No offence meant. I've lived with the IE8 for a couple of years. Had a lot of fun with them but very aware of who untrue to the recording they are.


I loved them myself. Then moved onto better things. Even the IE80s were an improvement over them. But then I became unsatisfied with the mid bass. I tried the tape mod and silver cable and wow much more true to the track. Still an expansive sound stage. Detail in mids and treble went through the roof. They sounded similar to UM3X after that but more natural and better bass. Very balanced and true to the tracks after that IMO. I'd say the best all-arounder IEM in the $500+ range with those modifications in place. The tape mod was as easy as putting a small piece of tape over the bass ports and changing out the stock cable to pure silver cable.

post #7819 of 8031

Alright. Pop quiz. For people who have moved on from the IE8s and unto customs, what customs did you get and why? :)

 

I'm currently looking to do the same if I can. Just trying to see what I should be looking at. 

post #7820 of 8031
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenz View Post

Alright. Pop quiz. For people who have moved on from the IE8s and unto customs, what customs did you get and why? :)

 

I'm currently looking to do the same if I can. Just trying to see what I should be looking at. 


im move to custom from ie80(i heard its similar to the ie8 but better).
 my custom is jh16 and heir 8a, i move to them because of their bass. my first custom is jh16 but then i really missed the smooth treble of the ie80 so i purchased the 8a after reading some review which is saying that the sound signature similar to the ie80 (detailed,bass heavy,smooth treble and wide soundstage)


Edited by lightningfarron - 1/25/13 at 11:32pm
post #7821 of 8031

Same Heir 8A. Still haven't got it yet but hoping it will have some elements of the IE80 but better :). I'm also considering getting and IE800 if I can get it at a reasonable price.
 

post #7822 of 8031
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningfarron View Post


im move to custom from ie80(i heard its similar to the ie8 but better).
 my custom is jh16 and heir 8a, i move to them because of their bass. my first custom is jh16 but then i really missed the smooth treble of the ie80 so i purchased the 8a after reading some review which is saying that the sound signature similar to the ie80 (detailed,bass heavy,smooth treble and wide soundstage)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Same Heir 8A. Still haven't got it yet but hoping it will have some elements of the IE80 but better :). I'm also considering getting and IE800 if I can get it at a reasonable price.
 

 

Nice. Thanks. I'll have to have a look at those :)

post #7823 of 8031

I couldn't ever get these to isolate as well as I might prefer. I tried all of the stock tips and also the HiFiMan flanges (http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=33) which were suggested a couple years ago.

 

Has anyone found anything better?

 

In the meantime, I've moved on to another IEM that isolates better and has the convenience of an in-cable microphone.

post #7824 of 8031

My IE8s have been with me for several years now and they've never let me down. I'm well aware of the bass-emphasised sound signature, but I've found it to be perfect for compensating against outside noise, and the soundstage is fantastic just walking around the city with my music playing.

 

There are probably better IEMs available but I don't feel the need to replace my IE8s at all. So I guess I'm saying I really appreciate them smile.gif

post #7825 of 8031
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post


Nothing wrong with a bit of passion. smily_headphones1.gif I wonder how on earth Sennheiser managed to put such a flawed 'phone into production as their flagship IEM.

Three words: bass, bass, bass.  That's how simple is, and sound stage.

post #7826 of 8031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrafts View Post

Three words: bass, bass, bass.  That's how simple is, and sound stage.

Exactly! L3000.gif

post #7827 of 8031
Exactly is right. Why do Senns designers think that bass is paramount. You say Bass Bass Bass. I say Treble? Midrange? Vocals?
post #7828 of 8031
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post

Exactly is right. Why do Senns designers think that bass is paramount. You say Bass Bass Bass. I say Treble? Midrange? Vocals?

 

They have a target audience with products like these.


Hint: It's not people looking for perfect reproduction.

post #7829 of 8031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrafts View Post

Three words: bass, bass, bass.  That's how simple is, and sound stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalithian View Post

They have a target audience with products like these.


Hint: It's not people looking for perfect reproduction.

 

That's a bit simplistic imo. Apart from their bass emphasis, the IE8/80 are very capable IEMs with smooth mids and highs, and great top extension. If you EQ down their bass hump, or use a bright source like the Tera Player or Icon Mobile, they're amazing phones with classical.


Edited by james444 - 1/27/13 at 11:33pm
post #7830 of 8031
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

 

That's a bit simplistic imo. Apart from their bass emphasis, the IE8/80 are very capable IEMs with smooth mids and highs, and great top extension. If you EQ down their bass hump, or use a bright source like the Tera Player or Icon Mobile, they're amazing phones with classical.

 

Don't get me wrong. The IE8's are the probably my favorite IEMS I have heard. I'm just explaining why they are not very accurate. Sennheiser knows what they're doing. If they wanted these to be accurate, they would have made them the HD800's or something more along those lines.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread