or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Wow! Sansa Fuze- color me impressed- Fuze appreciation thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wow! Sansa Fuze- color me impressed- Fuze appreciation thread - Page 31

post #451 of 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by prone2phone View Post
i noticed some flacs are prepared badly, so they can sound worst than a good ripped 320kbps mp3, on the other hand, there is nothing better than a good >800kbps FLAC on the Fuze, IMO
Hi p2p

Try the little experiment yourself. Rip the same track from one of your own CDs into flac and into 320mp3. Compare them on the Fuze. Report back what your findings are.

USG
post #452 of 767
well, it is also a matter of software you use for ripping cds, isnt it? maybe you should try another one , i am too lazy for that experimentation..
post #453 of 767
Wow USG!!
Big man!
post #454 of 767
I've just picked one of these up with the extra 8gb card to replace my Nano 2g for 70GBP (about 100USD *sigh*) to go with my recently ordered RE2's and Fiio E5 amp. Should be a bit of a step up from my Nano 2g > Px100 so I'm very excited and hopeful everything should arrive next week.

I'll be using the sansa's HOP to feed the E5 but I'm just wondering what you guys think the optimum volume level to set on the sansa? Ive trawled through this thread and impressions seem to range from dont do it to turn it all the way up!
post #455 of 767
Turn the volume as high as you can without getting any distortion. With the volume at it's highest, I find I get distortion on a few 'loud' tracks.

-Pony
post #456 of 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by minusthetom View Post
I've just picked one of these up with the extra 8gb card to replace my Nano 2g for 70GBP (about 100USD *sigh*) to go with my recently ordered RE2's and Fiio E5 amp. Should be a bit of a step up from my Nano 2g > Px100 so I'm very excited and hopeful everything should arrive next week.

I'll be using the sansa's HOP to feed the E5 but I'm just wondering what you guys think the optimum volume level to set on the sansa? Ive trawled through this thread and impressions seem to range from dont do it to turn it all the way up!
Hi minusthetom

Two things.

- Carefully compare the sound from the Fuze alone against the sound from the Fuze-Fiio. Aside from a bass bump, see if the sound isn't actually clearer and with a wider soundstage, from the Fuze alone. Try to have someone else switch the imputs while you listen, so you can't see which one you are listening to. You might be surprised.

- If you pop over to the Sansa forum you will find that the Fuze does not distort at full volume and that the line out = headphone out at full volume. Any distortion you are finding is probably in the rip or the original source material.

USG

YMMV
post #457 of 767
For those of you who are using flac, what kind of battery life are you getting? I think I heard someone was getting around 10 hours. Is that the same with everybody else?

If the battery life is too low I might just go with the Cowon i7.
post #458 of 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen3 View Post
For those of you who are using flac, what kind of battery life are you getting? I think I heard someone was getting around 10 hours. Is that the same with everybody else?

If the battery life is too low I might just go with the Cowon i7.
Hi Zen

Why do you want to use flac?

USG
post #459 of 767
Hello.

I recently tested wav vs. mp3 @ 320 kps on my Zen Touch, and could easily hear the difference. The problem is, with wav my battery life went from about 25 hours to around 9, not to mention how much space it took. With flac I could get the same sound and its smaller, taking care of my space problem. I hear on a flash player the battery life wouldn't be as different as it would with a harddrive, which is why I'm looking for a flash player that supports flac. Hope that answers your question.
post #460 of 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen3 View Post
Hello.

I recently tested wav vs. mp3 @ 320 kps on my Zen Touch, and could easily hear the difference. The problem is, with wav my battery life went from about 25 hours to around 9, not to mention how much space it took. With flac I could get the same sound and its smaller, taking care of my space problem. I hear on a flash player the battery life wouldn't be as different as it would with a harddrive, which is why I'm looking for a flash player that supports flac. Hope that answers your question.
Hi Zen

I'm not convinced that it is possible to hear the difference between WAV and 320mp3 on inexpensive portable equipment after you equalize for volume.

Never the less, would you be able to describe the differences you heard between WAV and 320mp3 and tell me the equipment you used to make that determination and the program you used to make the rips?

Also, were the rips used for comparison on your ZTouch from a CD or from a HD?

USG
post #461 of 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post

Also, were the rips used for comparison on your ZTouch from a CD or from a HD?

USG
Would you mind expanding on this? On a tangent to the Fuze discussion, but I copy my cds to a computer hard drive and then rip into compressed formats from there (formats vary as different devices in use in the house).
Am I not aware of a difference if the ripping s/w is working from the tracks on the hdd rather than direct from the cd? If so, how?

Cheers,

Rob
post #462 of 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
Hi Zen

I'm not convinced that it is possible to hear the difference between WAV and 320mp3 on inexpensive portable equipment after you equalize for volume.

Never the less, would you be able to describe the differences you heard between WAV and 320mp3 and tell me the equipment you used to make that determination and the program you used to make the rips?

Also, were the rips used for comparison on your ZTouch from a CD or from a HD?

USG
The sound was very different. First thing I noticed was everything was cleaner, not as muddy. Especially the lower end. Very clean, and still very present. Sounds fuller and richer, like its more alive. In live recordings the applause at the end sounded way more live. I listen mainly to classical music, by the way.

As far as my stuff, I use a Zen Touch (as you know), with a Nuforce Icon Mobil and Sennheiser HD380 Pro. I may get another amp within a year, but for now that's what I use.

Pretty much everything was ripped to wav with EAC (I heard good things about it on here), saved to my laptop, then moved onto my player using Creative's Mediasource.
post #463 of 767
My player has come today and Im rather upset that I now want DAC for my macbook, the difference between the fuze and my laptop/2nd gen nano headphone out is night and day. GUI isn't the best but I probably just need to adapt, very happy overall
post #464 of 767
Hi,

Glad you guys are discussing bit rates and battery life at this point. Serendipity!

I'm using a fuze w/ an 8GB micro sd card which gives me 16GB total. Now I want more! Thinking of getting a 16GB card soon. I know that the card sucks battery. But does a 16GB card suck more battery than an 8GB card? Does the extra storage put a drain on the unit? I'm guessing the extra juice is just to pull the data from two separate flash sources--not the amount stored.

But the card could indirectly lower battery life if I went to higher bitrate files. I've noticed that--and someone above alluded to the same--the higher the bitrates the lower the battery life. I guess there must be a fairly linear relationship between quantity of bits processed to quantity of electricity used. My battery drains much more slowly when I'm listening to low bitrate podcasts than high bitrate music. I just realized this. "I did not know that"-Eugene Levy as Gerry Fleck.
post #465 of 767
The higher the bitrate, the more power the DAP requires to play it. Playing a song off the microsd card is what the sucks battery. The size of the card has nothing to do with it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Wow! Sansa Fuze- color me impressed- Fuze appreciation thread