Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The most underappreciated can ever? DT 48
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The most underappreciated can ever? DT 48 - Page 2

post #16 of 110
Hmmm.... very interesting. I recently found out about the underrated DT 150 and now these rise to the surface. So a recable is a must with these cans?
post #17 of 110
I have been reading on DT48 ..heard some pretty good things..

but i also heard its not being manufactured?

how much do they cost btw? ..would like to try them atleast.
post #18 of 110
post #19 of 110
Thanks.. i have to say i am shocked at the price... they are much more expensive than i thought.


i thot they must be like $250.

Global Price List
post #20 of 110
Get your HD600 with decent amp and be done with it. Though 400 USD phones aren't exactly uber expensive. I only hope that DT48 won't be love/hate cans like AD2000 IMHO is. My birthday is coming soon and I have to decide should I get HD650 or DT48 E . I change my mind daily.
post #21 of 110
I've been strongly considering these for a while, but am pretty broke at the moment. What amp do you use jrosenth? I find that my amp usually does better with higher impedance headphones and was thinking of getting the 200ohm version, but everyone seems to say that the 25ohm is the best one of the lot. Have you heard the K340's on a decent amp? How do they compare? The level of detail you have been describing definatley makes me think of them along with full on electrostats.
post #22 of 110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by philodox View Post
I've been strongly considering these for a while, but am pretty broke at the moment. What amp do you use jrosenth? I find that my amp usually does better with higher impedance headphones and was thinking of getting the 200ohm version, but everyone seems to say that the 25ohm is the best one of the lot. Have you heard the K340's on a decent amp? How do they compare? The level of detail you have been describing definatley makes me think of them along with full on electrostats.
I haven't heard the 340 on a good amp. That would really be an interesting comparison.

I've been using the DT 48 with a maxxed PPA, a modded Heed, a dynalo and a Pico. (A modded Onix 99 CDP, a shek non-os dac and the pico as sources).

It's been relatively pleasing with all of those, but you do very clearly hear each amps signature much more so than with other cans I've tried. Same thing for source.

I loved the non-OS dac with them the most and the maxxed PPA was voiced darker and for low impedance cans so that's probably been my favorite with the DT 48.

I actually got the DT 48 when I needed closed cans and so it was more of a functional requirement and curiosity - but I keep using them simply for the sound.

I do have a suspicion these will indeed be love / hate cans for most people. I imagine that most will love, or at least like to have them in their stable, but I can imagine how some might be disconcerted hearing these, especially with a poor system/synergy - I know everybody always says that about almost every can, but honestly these guys are reflective/dependent to a much higher degree than any other can I've heard (also in terms of the information they are presenting and they way in which they do it, it's a different experience than with the standard line up of cans and that can be a bit disconcerting at first).

Honestly they very much remind me of the RS-1 in that regard. I dearly love the RS-1 and sometime think about having it as my only can, and then other times I simply can't stand them. On the whole though, if I had 3-5 cans I'd probably want to keep an RS-1 and DT 48 floating around.

I went through a phase with the DT 48 where I simply didn't listen to any other can for about 4 months, partially because I tend to listen to the same music and whenever I switched to something else I was aware of the information I was missing. Then I flipped back over to the Grados and embraced them as fun instruments unto themselves. (I had been meaning to write a review of the DT 48s for a while and wanted to do so before my fickle nature turned to something else
post #23 of 110
FYI, here is a PDF file about Beyerdynamic's DT48.

Actually, what you are talking about is DT48E. There is another legacy: DT48 A.00. One has been sold here. And I really don't think they are very comfortable to wear.
post #24 of 110
Excellent post, and great looking headphones!
A couple more of these threads, and I am quite sure there will be more of them around here.
post #25 of 110
Thread Starter 
Hi Viktor, I've actually had a 48 a and they are uncomfortable unless you change the earpads - I think Uncle Erik may have a pair and someone sold a pair in the for sale forum a month or two ago so at least a coupe of other people have heard them.

the 48 a actually comes with an freq graphy for that individual pair if memory serves and it's pretty crazy. The PDF you linked to actually has a genereal graph - see below - very interesting given the discussion of bass:

post #26 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by philodox View Post
I've been strongly considering these for a while, but am pretty broke at the moment. What amp do you use jrosenth? I find that my amp usually does better with higher impedance headphones and was thinking of getting the 200ohm version, but everyone seems to say that the 25ohm is the best one of the lot. Have you heard the K340's on a decent amp? How do they compare? The level of detail you have been describing definatley makes me think of them along with full on electrostats.
I compared my modded 340 to my 48a's.. The 340's sound congested & veild in comparison.. With a better amp it should help.
post #27 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool bubba ice View Post
The 340's sound congested & veiled in comparison.
I'll try and reign in my natural inclination to jump to the K340's defense since I haven't heard your particular pair in your rig, but I can say that they don't sound congested or veiled in my setup.
post #28 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by philodox View Post
I'll try and reign in my natural inclination to jump to the K340's defense since I haven't heard your particular pair in your rig, but I can say that they don't sound congested or veiled in my setup.
I was comparing them to the 48's.. compared to the 48's they sound congested & veiled. I'm just going off what I heard. If thats not the awnser you wanted to hear I'm sorry.
post #29 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrosenth View Post
I haven't heard the 340 on a good amp. That would really be an interesting comparison.

I've been using the DT 48 with a maxxed PPA, a modded Heed, a dynalo and a Pico. (A modded Onix 99 CDP, a shek non-os dac and the pico as sources).

It's been relatively pleasing with all of those, but you do very clearly hear each amps signature much more so than with other cans I've tried. Same thing for source.

I loved the non-OS dac with them the most and the maxxed PPA was voiced darker and for low impedance cans so that's probably been my favorite with the DT 48.

I actually got the DT 48 when I needed closed cans and so it was more of a functional requirement and curiosity - but I keep using them simply for the sound.

I do have a suspicion these will indeed be love / hate cans for most people. I imagine that most will love, or at least like to have them in their stable, but I can imagine how some might be disconcerted hearing these, especially with a poor system/synergy - I know everybody always says that about almost every can, but honestly these guys are reflective/dependent to a much higher degree than any other can I've heard (also in terms of the information they are presenting and they way in which they do it, it's a different experience than with the standard line up of cans and that can be a bit disconcerting at first).

Honestly they very much remind me of the RS-1 in that regard. I dearly love the RS-1 and sometime think about having it as my only can, and then other times I simply can't stand them. On the whole though, if I had 3-5 cans I'd probably want to keep an RS-1 and DT 48 floating around.

I went through a phase with the DT 48 where I simply didn't listen to any other can for about 4 months, partially because I tend to listen to the same music and whenever I switched to something else I was aware of the information I was missing. Then I flipped back over to the Grados and embraced them as fun instruments unto themselves. (I had been meaning to write a review of the DT 48s for a while and wanted to do so before my fickle nature turned to something else
Some people might find that irritating or fatiguing. To me it's like going from SD to HD. You really don't know what you are missing. Homicide from 999 is a great EI of proper placement. I can easily 'see' two guitarist. One left, other right. Lead singer in front. drummer in the back.. But the most amazing thing is, hearing the bass guitar switching up & down, & the reverb of every string being plucked.. All this is going on, without any smearing.. They each have a identity of their own.
post #30 of 110
It certainly has it's share of inbuilt disadvantages for the general marketplace. High price, low tech old tin can looks, low public profile, closed, ugly, and aimed at studios. Lack of easy adjustment is another and perceived comfort issues as well. Not a set of qualities particularly endearing to your average audiophool.

However, over the years I've heard little in the way of negatives in their sound so they must be doing something right. Not very easy to track down for a listen and certainly low down on any visibility list when considering a set of phones.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The most underappreciated can ever? DT 48