Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Rap Sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rap Sucks - Page 39  

post #571 of 782

That was a funny bump, you've got to admit it. 

post #572 of 782

Rap reminds me of a drum solo without the rest of the song.  It's like percussive poetry with no pretense of a melody.  Yup, it sucks.

post #573 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwilladsen View Post

Rap reminds me of a drum solo without the rest of the song. 

if your are talking about the beat, that was the idea... to have it as a loop of only the good part, it acts as the metronome but with a rhythm, the poetry is laid over it

post #574 of 782
I can't appreciate rap with crappy lyrics about sex and doing drugs, almost anything about love, partying, or money. I prefer rap that focuses on a story on someone's life, maybe love life if it's more about conflict rather than heart, current issues with the world, and such. That being said, I don't believe in a perfect artist. Macklemore focuses more about current issues and his challenges about his life, which is what I like about his music, but something like Thrift Shop is meaningless and has no story or emotion (other than catchiness) I could relate or feel towards. Occasionally a rap artist may have something I would enjoy (ex. Start Again - D-Pryde or Where is the Love? - Black Eyed Peas) which has meaningful lyrics that allow you to imagine and think about, while all their other (c)rap is bass, rhymes and other BS.
post #575 of 782

2PAC......enough said 

post #576 of 782

I can't listen to rap and analyze it, enjoy the subtleties, tap my feet, feel the realism of the vocals and reverb of the instruments like I can other music, it's definitely less musical that can't really be argued, but rap is more about the message, which today is skewed and terrible and about everyone banging each other and getting just a bit too ****ed up, where as from what I've listened of mature rap (Biggie smalls, 2pac) there's an actual message, especially Notorious B.I.G, where I enjoy listening to his lyrics.

 

That said I enjoy good rap much more than I enjoy metal/heavy rock where all the instruments overload my ears.


Edited by eltocliousus - 11/22/12 at 4:32am
post #577 of 782
I can only listen to Eminem, prefer old stuff, like Slim Shady, etc.

But I also have Notorious Big and 2Pac on my library, these 3 rappers are the only ones I like.

But I love Rap/Metal and Nu Metal
post #578 of 782

my reaction to anybody saying they can only listen to pac, big and em is always -.-

 

you are listening to fundamental hip-hop and some of the best and recognized emcees, and yet you dont want expand your artist list?

 

thats like saying "I will only listen to AC/DC, black sabbath and [INSERT GREATEST ROCK BAND HERE], I don't like the rest of classic rock in general"

 

same as "I only listen to Marvin Gaye and Al Green, all other soul singer are not worth giving a try."

 

theres so much more you could find and experience

post #579 of 782

Hip hop has no redeeming musical qualities to me.

 

The general aesthetic reminds me of "punk", another genre in which people make next to zero effort to actually compose anything inspiring or original yet become angry and belligerent when you call them out on it. They want the best of both worlds -- they want to spit in the face of music to show off their rebellion, then have music lovers silently endorse it, like "Oh ha, you crazy kids!".

 

It doesn't work out that way and they get upset when people take "elitist" attitudes towards them. They want to offend you but not be offended back.

 

I also have trouble telling the "deep poetic genius" rappers apart from the rest. People have of course had me listen to Tupac and as far as I could tell, while his vocabulary was slightly larger, it was still a guy rhyming about how great he is over cowbell and kazoo sound effects.

 

I do in a way "hate" it, because if you truly love something then it's natural to hate anything which threatens it. Hip hop along with "Dr. Luke" style idiotpop have relegated composed music to the fringes of society and turned what was once one of the core forms of human art into a lowest common denominator industry like fast food, pornography or cartoons.

 

Life is too short to force ones self to endure bad music just to seem open minded.


Edited by machoboy - 11/24/12 at 3:53am
post #580 of 782

And is there anything quite as tragic as a really deep trance track you're slipping into and daydreaming to... Where out of nowhere a rapper pops into the mix and starts busting rhymes about how he "want u so bad gurl"? Makes you wanna upload your mp3 onto a usb drive just so you can have a way to throw it at the wall.

 

Nobody remixed rap interludes into Wagner (the inventor of trance music), why do they do it now?

post #581 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamijoIsMyHero View Post

my reaction to anybody saying they can only listen to pac, big and em is always -.-

you are listening to fundamental hip-hop and some of the best and recognized emcees, and yet you dont want expand your artist list?

thats like saying "I will only listen to AC/DC, black sabbath and [INSERT GREATEST ROCK BAND HERE], I don't like the rest of classic rock in general"

same as "I only listen to Marvin Gaye and Al Green, all other soul singer are not worth giving a try."

theres so much more you could find and experience

The point is I have 60GB full of Rock/Alternative/Indie/Grunge/Punk,etc. (MP3 320), so I don't listen to Rap as my main genre. It's just for fun, every once in a while.
post #582 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoboy View Post

And is there anything quite as tragic as a really deep trance track you're slipping into and daydreaming to... Where out of nowhere a rapper pops into the mix and starts busting rhymes about how he "want u so bad gurl"? Makes you wanna upload your mp3 onto a usb drive just so you can have a way to throw it at the wall.

 

Nobody remixed rap interludes into Wagner (the inventor of trance music), why do they do it now?

why would you mix hip-hop, which has a root of dance/party music vibe, with trance music?

 

You don't go from 2 hrs R&B to all of a sudden recommended classic rock-which-turns out-to-be-deathmetal, it has 2 different vibes, idiotic thing to do if you are trying to get the true vibe of classic rock

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoboy View Post

Hip hop has no redeeming musical qualities to me.

 

The general aesthetic reminds me of "punk", another genre in which people make next to zero effort to actually compose anything inspiring or original yet become angry and belligerent when you call them out on it. They want the best of both worlds -- they want to spit in the face of music to show off their rebellion, then have music lovers silently endorse it, like "Oh ha, you crazy kids!".

 

It doesn't work out that way and they get upset when people take "elitist" attitudes towards them. They want to offend you but not be offended back.

 

I also have trouble telling the "deep poetic genius" rappers apart from the rest. People have of course had me listen to Tupac and as far as I could tell, while his vocabulary was slightly larger, it was still a guy rhyming about how great he is over cowbell and kazoo sound effects.

 

I do in a way "hate" it, because if you truly love something then it's natural to hate anything which threatens it. Hip hop along with "Dr. Luke" style idiotpop have relegated composed music to the fringes of society and turned what was once one of the core forms of human art into a lowest common denominator industry like fast food, pornography or cartoons.

 

Life is too short to force ones self to endure bad music just to seem open minded.

maybe you should list who you have tried, like a solid list though, I can easily tell you what you can expect to hear from them if they are true  to hip-hop in the first place

 

"deep poetic genius" exist but they are not heavily promoted as always the case, I have posted in almost all hip-hop forums which i've been a member in that Tupac is not really the best of what hip-hop has to offer, he's like the Beats headphone to the headphone industry for an avg consumer, I get perplexed reaction and obviously a lot of hate too, but tupac, Big and Em are entry level rappers, they are fundamentally hip-hop but they are not the best in what you can experience

post #583 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoboy View Post

Hip hop has no redeeming musical qualities to me.

 

The general aesthetic reminds me of "punk", another genre in which people make next to zero effort to actually compose anything inspiring or original yet become angry and belligerent when you call them out on it. They want the best of both worlds -- they want to spit in the face of music to show off their rebellion, then have music lovers silently endorse it, like "Oh ha, you crazy kids!".

 

It doesn't work out that way and they get upset when people take "elitist" attitudes towards them. They want to offend you but not be offended back.

 

I also have trouble telling the "deep poetic genius" rappers apart from the rest. People have of course had me listen to Tupac and as far as I could tell, while his vocabulary was slightly larger, it was still a guy rhyming about how great he is over cowbell and kazoo sound effects.

 

I do in a way "hate" it, because if you truly love something then it's natural to hate anything which threatens it. Hip hop along with "Dr. Luke" style idiotpop have relegated composed music to the fringes of society and turned what was once one of the core forms of human art into a lowest common denominator industry like fast food, pornography or cartoons.

 

Life is too short to force ones self to endure bad music just to seem open minded.


I'm sorry, I almost completely disagree!

 

To criticise an entire genre that you don't know is incredibly closed-minded. Some punk is entirely throwaway rubbish, some is utter genius. The same with hip-hop. I dare say, the same is to be said for all genres.

 

Hip hop does not threaten music - the modern music "industry" threatens music. X-Factor threatens music. Fame-whores who are more interested in money than art threaten music.

 

If you listen to some of the more "intelligent" (usually more underground) punk (and post-punk, and every other bloody genre that punk has influenced; which would be virtually all of them by now!) or hip-hop you'll find music that really pushes boundaries (and isn't interested in being in an advert).

 

Oh, and for the record hip-hop is not necessarily rap.

post #584 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy1969 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoboy View Post

Hip hop has no redeeming musical qualities to me.

The general aesthetic reminds me of "punk", another genre in which people make next to zero effort to actually compose anything inspiring or original yet become angry and belligerent when you call them out on it. They want the best of both worlds -- they want to spit in the face of music to show off their rebellion, then have music lovers silently endorse it, like "Oh ha, you crazy kids!".

It doesn't work out that way and they get upset when people take "elitist" attitudes towards them. They want to offend you but not be offended back.

I also have trouble telling the "deep poetic genius" rappers apart from the rest. People have of course had me listen to Tupac and as far as I could tell, while his vocabulary was slightly larger, it was still a guy rhyming about how great he is over cowbell and kazoo sound effects.

I do in a way "hate" it, because if you truly love something then it's natural to hate anything which threatens it. Hip hop along with "Dr. Luke" style idiotpop have relegated composed music to the fringes of society and turned what was once one of the core forms of human art into a lowest common denominator industry like fast food, pornography or cartoons.

Life is too short to force ones self to endure bad music just to seem open minded.


I'm sorry, I almost completely disagree!

To criticise an entire genre that you don't know is incredibly closed-minded. Some punk is entirely throwaway rubbish, some is utter genius. The same with hip-hop. I dare say, the same is to be said for all genres.

Hip hop does not threaten music - the modern music "industry" threatens music. X-Factor threatens music. Fame-whores who are more interested in money than art threaten music.

If you listen to some of the more "intelligent" (usually more underground) punk (and post-punk, and every other bloody genre that punk has influenced; which would be virtually all of them by now!) or hip-hop you'll find music that really pushes boundaries (and isn't interested in being in an advert).

Oh, and for the record hip-hop is not necessarily rap.

For example, great punk bands:

Early Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Ramones
Sex Pistols
Rise Against (kinda mainstream pop punk style)
Misfits
Sonic Youth (hate them)
The Clash
Iggy Pop
post #585 of 782
I really don't like rap from 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, **** I hate all new rap that raps about sex and how you are going to make your girl "wet". It's so **** and unoriginal. I miss the oldschool rap & hiphop that actually wasn't just about sex.

I hate how things go to **** just because of money.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Rap Sucks