New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UE Triple fi-10 mod

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Now that I've been able to get a better seal and a more direct line of sound to my ears with a simple mod, I may well agree with ClieOS about the top spot in his review for these babies.

I had a run of bad fortune with the UM2 and had to resort to the Trips as the mainstay at least until the UM2 issue is resolved. I decided I needed a better and more secure seal for these Trips so I made some small extensions for use with the Aurvana silicone sleeves I like very much. The sleeve go further into the ear canal causing the Trip's nozzle to line up with the canal providing a much better and securer seal as well as greater auditory response.

What I'm hearing is more dynamic and powerful than the UM2. It isn't by much but the sound is smoother and better balanced. Increased isolation is probably the key matter that is providing the better dynamics of sound I'm hearing.

I'll have more of a determination once I've fully evaluated these babies. I'll also put up some pics, eventually, of the mod.
post #2 of 16
pics?
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewislink View Post
Now that I've been able to get a better seal and a more direct line of sound to my ears with a simple mod, I may well agree with ClieOS about the top spot in his review for these babies.
That's why I have a pair of mod'ed olive on my TF10. The original UE foam are really trash (broke down before I used them). Good thing they decide to replace their own stuff with Comply T500.
post #4 of 16
0 0, yah~ pics???
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Due to living in my humble car, a Rio, I wasn't able to do as refined a job on these as others. I had to make do with what I had available for modding these extensions, which are vaccuum tees from an automotive parts store.


post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
On the one of them that I was able to do correctly, I took three drills of different sizes, one for the orifice of the tee and the other two for the sleeve of the tee, where it fits onto the nozzle of the Trip. I ground two of the drill's shafts to a bit of a point and smoothed them out as much as possible with sand paper. The third drill, I left blunt to make the sleeve of the tee as much squared as possible, explanation coming.

The first drill, the smallest one, with a pointed shaft, I heated up with a heat gun till hot enough to mmelt plastic. I then took the pointed end of the hot drill and enlarged the orifice end of the tee...the small end...till as large as the opening of the Trip's nozzle.

I then took the larger, pointed drill and heated it to melting plastic. I enlarged the sleeve end of the tee...the large end,,,till large enough to fit onto the Trip's nozzle.

I then took the same size larger drill with the blunt shaft and heated it to melting plastic. I then put a different piece of the plastic tee over the small end of the extension and put the hot, blunt end of the drill into the larger end of the extension, pushing to make the large end of the extension as square as possible.
post #7 of 16
i was hoping the mods would be little easier to do
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglee200 View Post
i was hoping the mods would be little easier to do
Actually there is an easier way to do it. It isn't as clean, but it gets the job done.

The second extension I did without the heat. I did at first drill the larger end out to fit the Trip's nozzle but that's as far as I got with it. The small end, I simply took to the needle nose jaw of my multi-tool and reamed it...basically stretching it...to the desired size.

The size of the extension is simply cut to length and then either drill to correct fit or ream to correct fit.
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
That's why I have a pair of mod'ed olive on my TF10. The original UE foam are really trash (broke down before I used them). Good thing they decide to replace their own stuff with Comply T500.
Unfortunately the modded Shure olives wouldn't do anything for me. They sealed well enough, but they didn't go deep enough into the ear to line the nozzle up and create a perfect seal.

That's the reason for this mod. So far it has worked flawlessly, providing a perfect seal and outstanding music sound.
post #10 of 16
I did something similar to my CK10, but easier:


They didn't go deep enough into my ear, resulting in the same problem as yours: less seal than desirable.
How to do it:
Just take some heat shrink (in my case 15mm) shrink it to its minimum so the tube will get harder.
Then cut it to your desired size and put some tips. That tip in the pic are the T400.
It worked with my EX700 and RP-HJE900, but it didn't improve isolation with them, just comfort.
Now, with the CK10 I am getting Ety levels of noise cancelation. On par with customs.
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Excellent idea!
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewislink View Post
Excellent idea!
Tell me if it worked with your triple.fi
Now am getting some sleep.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Okay, thanks to you, this is now an easy mod. A much easier mod. I'm going to refer to it as the Jabada mod.

I'll have a couple pics up in a bit.
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Okay, here's what you'll need. The drill is a 7/32 and the exact size of the Trip's nozzle:



This how it's done using the lighter as the heat source:



And here's how it looks once it has been cut to desired size:


post #15 of 16

bump for some updated photos please! this sounds like a nice fix for the monstrous bore of the triple fi!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: