Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › 5.1 DTS on headphones...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

5.1 DTS on headphones...

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hi guys!

I have a question concerning multichannel audio... I'm a total noob and I'm currently experimenting with everything head-fi I just bought the Beatles Love DVD and I've been wondering what's the best way to listen to it on my laptop...

I have a 0404 USB connected to a Dell laptop and I'm using Sennheiser HD595 cans. I searched the forums, but I couldn't find enough information (part of the problem is that the search engine doesn't let me search for 5.1 or DTS...).

So the question is what would be the best way to listen to the DTS track of the Beatles Love DVD? From what I managed to find Dobly Headphone seems to be the best way to go, but from what I understand Foobar doesn't support it fully. I found a wrapper that interfaces to the dolbyhp DLL, but how do I get Foobar to decode DTS? Would PowerDVD be a better option?

Thanks for the answers in advance! Great forum guys!
post #2 of 13
Yes, Dolby Headphone is what you want for 5.1 source, it is really quite brilliant, and no I don't think Foobar is the solution. Hmmmn. I have a few AC3 files and I just give up and have Foobar convert them to 2-channel.

Play it in PowerDVD, that'll work, horrible solution though hmmn.

This thread might give you some pointers:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ho...ration-361251/

Or, suggest you enquire in the Foobar forum over at HydrogenAudio.
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
Play it in PowerDVD, that'll work, horrible solution though hmmn.
Why horrible? From what I understand the Dolby DLL does all the work, so what difference does it make on what player you play the DVD?
post #4 of 13
Ummmn well I just hate the interface, especially for music, it's abysmal - same for video really, for which I use ZoomPlayer. PowerDVD has no advanced set-up whatsoever and no sophistication in its controls. But if that works for you, fine.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
Ummmn well I just hate the interface, especially for music, it's abysmal - same for video really, for which I use ZoomPlayer. PowerDVD has no advanced set-up whatsoever and no sophistication in its controls. But if that works for you, fine.
Oh, there I agree 1000% :-D I was just talking about the end result in terms of sound quality and quality of simulation...

Thanks for the link to the thread - it looks very informative! So from what I understand using PowerDVD gives the same results in terms of simulation and quality as the other, more sophisticated solutions, right?

Thanks for the replies!
post #6 of 13
As far as I know, unless you need to start re-sampling the sound or adding other filters, for which PowerDVD has no support. I only have it installed for the Dolby HF files - of which there are versions, best to find the latest, PDVD 8 has it I think. Thereafter the filter does the work, not the interface software.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
I have PowerDVD 8 already... it came with a BlueRay drive my g/f bought... I'm gonna give it a go now.

Btw. I personally don't think Foobar is any better in terms of interface and controls... but that's probably just me :-)

I wish Amarok could use all the foobar plug-ins ;-) Actually, it just might in the near future ;-)

Thanks for the help!
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
So I got PowerDVD 8 going and after trying out Beatles Love, I decided to try something different... so I gave S&M a go... WOW!!! F*** ME!!! I still have goosebumps
post #9 of 13
So yes, I wonder if this 5.1 effects, can actually be played on a pair of headphones ?

what sort of Codec or driver to use ? normally when I use my Home Theater PC, I'm using Power DVD 13.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb_ View Post

Hi guys!

I have a question concerning multichannel audio... I'm a total noob and I'm currently experimenting with everything head-fi I just bought the Beatles Love DVD and I've been wondering what's the best way to listen to it on my laptop...

I have a 0404 USB connected to a Dell laptop and I'm using Sennheiser HD595 cans. I searched the forums, but I couldn't find enough information (part of the problem is that the search engine doesn't let me search for 5.1 or DTS...).

So the question is what would be the best way to listen to the DTS track of the Beatles Love DVD? From what I managed to find Dobly Headphone seems to be the best way to go, but from what I understand Foobar doesn't support it fully. I found a wrapper that interfaces to the dolbyhp DLL, but how do I get Foobar to decode DTS? Would PowerDVD be a better option?

Thanks for the answers in advance! Great forum guys!

 

 

You gotta have a program like DVDShrink, etc, in order to create a decrypted .iso file.  DVDShrink is free.  Then rip the DTS track off of that with something like DVD-Audio Extractor.  That's how you would get the DTS track to a file to play in something like VLC.

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post


You gotta have a program like DVDShrink, etc, in order to create a decrypted .iso file.  DVDShrink is free.  Then rip the DTS track off of that with something like DVD-Audio Extractor.  That's how you would get the DTS track to a file to play in something like VLC.

andthen how doyou play that .WAV file in Windows laptop ?
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSantana View Post


andthen how doyou play that .WAV file in Windows laptop ?

VLC.  You can select to use the 5.1 track.

 

I'd just extract it to FLAC instead though cause you'll save space over WAV and VLC can play FLAC just fine.

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post

VLC.  You can select to use the 5.1 track.

I'd just extract it to FLAC instead though cause you'll save space over WAV and VLC can play FLAC just fine.

Cool, many thanks for the clarification man !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › 5.1 DTS on headphones...