or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling - Page 117

post #1741 of 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by signet02 View Post
 

Well, I got my muses02 in today, and you know I just had to put it in... Anyway, it's acting like any new device:  A little subdued at first... Put a looped demo on my digital piano ( where I have my LD 1+ right now)... Just running it in for a few hours...

 

I'm currently running the WE 408A tubes...

 

Note: My Yamaha CP 300 has HiFi stereo outputs, both unbalanced and balanced, and is dead quiet... Hoping the sound comes up after 30 hrs. or so... The ole' 5 on, five off routine...

 

Friday: I order a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s... I'm hoping that that will also add to the definition I can get from my instrument... Note: I'm ordering from Sennheiser Factory Outlet... $341.00, like new, full warranty, free ship... [Note: No affiliation]

 

I think those cans will work well for both professional and home audio use...

 

Anyone have any recommendations for alternative tubes?... I'm looking for lots of air on top, fair bass, and 'there' midrange...


Yugo or Sylvania 6HM5... way better then any of the other stock compatible tubes.

post #1742 of 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by signet02 View Post
 

Well, I got my muses02 in today, and you know I just had to put it in... Anyway, it's acting like any new device:  A little subdued at first... Put a looped demo on my digital piano ( where I have my LD 1+ right now)... Just running it in for a few hours...

 

I'm currently running the WE 408A tubes...

 

Note: My Yamaha CP 300 has HiFi stereo outputs, both unbalanced and balanced, and is dead quiet... Hoping the sound comes up after 30 hrs. or so... The ole' 5 on, five off routine...

 

Friday: I order a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s... I'm hoping that that will also add to the definition I can get from my instrument... Note: I'm ordering from Sennheiser Factory Outlet... $341.00, like new, full warranty, free ship... [Note: No affiliation]

 

I think those cans will work well for both professional and home audio use...

 

Anyone have any recommendations for alternative tubes?... I'm looking for lots of air on top, fair bass, and 'there' midrange.


Edited by i luvmusic 2 - 1/30/14 at 3:02pm
post #1743 of 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by signet02 View Post
 

Well, I got my muses02 in today, and you know I just had to put it in... Anyway, it's acting like any new device:  A little subdued at first... Put a looped demo on my digital piano ( where I have my LD 1+ right now)... Just running it in for a few hours...

 

I'm currently running the WE 408A tubes...

 

Note: My Yamaha CP 300 has HiFi stereo outputs, both unbalanced and balanced, and is dead quiet... Hoping the sound comes up after 30 hrs. or so... The ole' 5 on, five off routine...

 

Friday: I order a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s... I'm hoping that that will also add to the definition I can get from my instrument... Note: I'm ordering from Sennheiser Factory Outlet... $341.00, like new, full warranty, free ship... [Note: No affiliation]

 

I think those cans will work well for both professional and home audio use...

 

Anyone have any recommendations for alternative tubes?... I'm looking for lots of air on top, fair bass, and 'there' midrange...

 

Sorry to say this but based on what you want I think you need some other headphones not another tube. What you are describing are Grado headphones, something like an RS1i or PS500.Too late now , but if you can I would definitely try to audition a pair of Grado's I think you would like what you hear. I have the best of both worlds, some HD600's and some Grado's. There isn't a tube made that is going to make the 600's sound like my 225i's. I wish there were though )

post #1744 of 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 

 

Sorry to say this but based on what you want I think you need some other headphones not another tube. What you are describing are Grado headphones, something like an RS1i or PS500.Too late now , but if you can I would definitely try to audition a pair of Grado's I think you would like what you hear. I have the best of both worlds, some HD600's and some Grado's. There isn't a tube made that is going to make the 600's sound like my 225i's. I wish there were though )

 

Well, H... It looks like providence has stepped in once again... I nixed the HD 600 purchase, and opted for a pair of these:  http://www.akg.com/K712+PRO-827.html?pid=1408

 

AKG K 712s... Remember that I need a high quality set of headphones for both recording AND home audio use...

 

They are more expensive than the HD 600s, but I think they'll give me more of what I'm looking for...

 

Opinions?...

post #1745 of 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by signet02 View Post

Well, H... It looks like providence has stepped in once again... I nixed the HD 600 purchase, and opted for a pair of these:  http://www.akg.com/K712+PRO-827.html?pid=1408

AKG K 712s... Remember that I need a high quality set of headphones for both recording AND home audio use...

They are more expensive than the HD 600s, but I think they'll give me more of what I'm looking for...

Opinions?...

I've been using my K712 with a LD I+ and tube rolling for a little over a week. The pairing seems nice with most tubes. However, I find the amp too loud at even the lowest gain using a cdac (odac). running from my Nexus 7 the LD I+ helps with the volume a lot, so it's a toss-up. I'm really liking the K712 though. It should be getting more attention then it is at the moment.
post #1746 of 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspider187 View Post


I've been using my K712 with a LD I+ and tube rolling for a little over a week. The pairing seems nice with most tubes. However, I find the amp too loud at even the lowest gain using a cdac (odac). running from my Nexus 7 the LD I+ helps with the volume a lot, so it's a toss-up. I'm really liking the K712 though. It should be getting more attention then it is at the moment.

 

Wow... That's unexpected, as some say that even at 62 ohms, they are a bit hard to drive... Oh, well... We'll see what we see... Where are you putting your volume knob on the LD 1+ when listening?... What is the gain output of your DAC?...  At any rate, keep me posted as to what tubes you're using, and what results you're getting...

 

I ordered the K712 primarily to bring up the definition when listening to my Yamaha CP 300 digital keyboard through headphones / LD 1+... But I intend to use the LD 1+ with my audio system as well...

post #1747 of 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by signet02 View Post
 

 

Well, H... It looks like providence has stepped in once again... I nixed the HD 600 purchase, and opted for a pair of these:  http://www.akg.com/K712+PRO-827.html?pid=1408

 

AKG K 712s... Remember that I need a high quality set of headphones for both recording AND home audio use...

 

They are more expensive than the HD 600s, but I think they'll give me more of what I'm looking for...

 

Opinions?...


I think you are right. I am not familiar with that particular AKG but I have heard the 701's and they sound great.

post #1748 of 2941

OK... My next question:  I'm getting a matched pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes from Yenaudio, but I don't really know what family of tubes they belong to for rolling into the LD 1+... ???...

post #1749 of 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by signet02 View Post
 

OK... My next question:  I'm getting a matched pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes from Yenaudio, but I don't really know what family of tubes they belong to for rolling into the LD 1+... ???...

EF95

post #1750 of 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by signet02 View Post
 

 

Wow... That's unexpected, as some say that even at 62 ohms, they are a bit hard to drive... Oh, well... We'll see what we see... Where are you putting your volume knob on the LD 1+ when listening?... What is the gain output of your DAC?...  At any rate, keep me posted as to what tubes you're using, and what results you're getting...

 

I ordered the K712 primarily to bring up the definition when listening to my Yamaha CP 300 digital keyboard through headphones / LD 1+... But I intend to use the LD 1+ with my audio system as well...

 

I don't think they are hard to drive for volume so much as they require a high amount of current to get the proper control of the driver.  I can bring them to loud volume out of just about anything I've tried with a headphone jack, but they sound way better out of the Little Dot.  For comparison, I also have a PA2V2 that will bring them to extremely loud levels, but the sound is artificially warm and has much narrower soundstage.

 

As far as listening volume goes, maybe it's just the nature of the LDI+, but volume is very dependent on the source used.  Out of my HTC One or Nexus 7 the LDI+ I listen to the volume at 11 o'clock with the gain set to high.  Out of the cdac I listen to the volume at 8 o'clock (the lowest it can go without channel imbalance) with the gain set to low.

 

At the moment I'm using we408A's, but the story stays more or less the same with any of the tubes I have tried.

post #1751 of 2941

remember to take off the jumpers of the j3 and j4 slots for gain (more volume) if you need to

post #1752 of 2941

Posted my review of the LD1 earlier this week if anyone would like to take a gander and/or comment.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/little-dot-i/reviews/10397

post #1753 of 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post
 

Posted my review of the LD1 earlier this week if anyone would like to take a gander and/or comment.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/little-dot-i/reviews/10397

 

A very nice review. :)

 

But I do have one comment:

 

" 2. Opening the chassis to swap jumpers or opamps is a little inconvenient. Just to swap one or two pieces of plastic, I have to remove all 8 screws. Not hard to do, but the screws that hold the base to the upper half are tiny and sometimes hard to re-screw. Not to mention they are a part of the ground circuit, so if you lose one, you may open your amp up to noise. "

 

I remove only 4 screws, the bottom 2 from the front and the bottom 2 from the back.

post #1754 of 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post

A very nice review. smily_headphones1.gif

But I do have one comment:

I remove only 4 screws, the bottom 2 from the front and the bottom 2 from the back.

Ha ha, just had one of those moments where you do something so dumb you can do is laugh at yourself.

Will edit shortly. Don't know why that never dawned on me!
post #1755 of 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post
 

Posted my review of the LD1 earlier this week if anyone would like to take a gander and/or comment.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/little-dot-i/reviews/10397

Well done!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling