Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling - Page 106

post #1576 of 1977

If anyone is looking to get set up with one of these units and a bunch of tubes, I've got one up for sale, just look in my sig.

post #1577 of 1977

hello,

i've just bought the LD I+ for my k701. it should get here tomorrow so i'm excited about that :D. now for some opamp/tube rolling :D.

i've gone over the entire thread and it seems like the LM4562 and OPA2107 opamps are the most popular choices and im looking to try them out.

i've found these on ebay (searching for the names, worldwide, sorting by lowest +p&p 1st).

LM4562 and OPA2107

are these the correct opamps i need for the amp? any other opamp i REALY NEED to look at? since they're this cheep i figure i could experiment.

post #1578 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwar View Post
 

hello,

i've just bought the LD I+ for my k701. it should get here tomorrow so i'm excited about that :D. now for some opamp/tube rolling :D.

i've gone over the entire thread and it seems like the LM4562 and OPA2107 opamps are the most popular choices and im looking to try them out.

i've found these on ebay (searching for the names, worldwide, sorting by lowest +p&p 1st).

LM4562 and OPA2107

are these the correct opamps i need for the amp? any other opamp i REALY NEED to look at? since they're this cheep i figure i could experiment.

 

You might also want to try the LME49990 and OPA627AP. 

 

After spending time with the stock MC33078, an OPA2107, and then an LME 49990, my current op amp is the MUSES02, and for me, it is the best yet. However, it is not nearly as cheap as the others.....

post #1579 of 1977

i'll stick to the lower end budget opamps for now. i'd probably have about 2-3 weeks to burn the stock tubes in and get to know the stock opamps' sound signature till any opamp would get here from china anyways :D.

 

any ideea if the two links i pasted are what i'd need to get for the littledot? 

post #1580 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwar View Post
 

any ideea if the two links i pasted are what i'd need to get for the littledot? 

 

Yes, both of your links point to the correct op amps. Enjoy! :) 

post #1581 of 1977
My LD I+ shipped today biggrin.gif Looking forward to getting it. Still burning in my Momentums and I have a variety of others from 18 to 600 ohms. I think I'll get to know it in stock form for a few weeks and then try BB2107/EF91 combo. Anyone buying matched tubes? I used to get matched sets for my guitar amp from eurotubes.com not sure if he has any for the LD or not.
Edited by Arsis - 10/31/13 at 3:08pm
post #1582 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis View Post

My LD I+ shipped today biggrin.gif Looking forward to getting it. Still burning in my Momentums and I have a variety of others from 18 to 600 ohms. I think I'll get to know it in stock form for a few weeks and then try BB2107/EF91 combo. Anyone buying matched tubes? I used to get matched sets for my guitar amp from eurotubes.com not sure if he has any for the LD or not.

 

It is not worth buying "matched" driver tubes for Little Dot amplifiers. In the 1+, driver tubes provide zero gain. Their purpose is only to add tube "flavor". Of course, both should be the same brand, same construction and same time period, but more than that is not necessary. In guitar amps, where these tubes actually provide gain, matching is much more important.

post #1583 of 1977
Is anyone using their LD 1+ with Senn HD598 (or Momentum)? I sold my Grado 325is. I tried to love them. Not for me and terribly uncomfortable.
post #1584 of 1977

Folks, are there any other Tube amp equivalents to the LD I+ that can push out the same amount of current to low impedance headphones? I am aware of the Torpedo Parafeed but not sure about its current output capabilities!

post #1585 of 1977
My initial impression are good. More thoughts to come.

MacPro -> iTunes -> Fiio e10 line out -> LD I+

post #1586 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taveren View Post
 

Hi Guys,

 

I have just recently received a Little Dot I+ from one of our bros here and it comes with a pair of Mullard M8100 and the stock 6J1 tubes. The opamp has been changed to LT1364.

 

My initial listening sessions with the Mullard tubes then switching to my Solid state desk top amp/dac back and forth, I can't really tell the difference, I mean there is a minimal improvement in the bass but not really noticeable. I was expecting to hear a distinctive "tube flavor".

 

I was thinking maybe the Mullard M8100 is a bit more clinical than most tubes so it is not as "tubey" (or it is not yet burned in)

 

Having said that, please recommend a good tube that will best deliver that "tube flavor" that differentiates (hybrid) tube amps to solid states. and if possible a reliable seller.

 

Thank you for your time :biggrin: 

 

 

Bump, open to suggestions please. Cheers! :beerchug:

post #1587 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis View Post

My initial impression are good. More thoughts to come.

MacPro -> iTunes -> Fiio e10 line out -> LD I+

hey that's very similar to my setup. the e10 and the LD1+ go together beautifully. the e10 gives the sound a fantastic and deeply noticeable forwardness and then the LD1+ does what tube amps due....add an awesome sound to the treble/midrange. That's my interpretation of that paring at least. How do you like it with your grados? Mine sounds fantastic with my magnum. I have no desire to really move up from this pairing until i graduate college and have like...a house and a reliable source of income. ha

post #1588 of 1977
New to the LD 1+ need help understanding what I'm reading. Based on the forums it sounds like these options will work best with my HE-500 phones.

Please review the below items to confirm they'll work with the LD1+ and what else will be required?

LT1364CN LT1364CN8 DIP8 Dual and Quad 70MHz, 1000V/us Op Amps
lxr0000527 LT1364CN8 DIP8

New Burr-Brown OPA2107AP DIP-8
Precision Dual Difet(R) Operational Amplifier

2x Voshod 6ZH1P-EV

2x Mullard M8161/CV401

I think these upgrades will give me neutral and warm options to roll in and out?

Mullard M8161 + OPA2107 combo for warmth?
Voshod + LT1364 combo for neutral clarity?

I rolled several tubes in my Dac before settling on the Rocket I loved the neutral and dynamic sound versus the thicker sound from other tubes. Will I notice the same via headphones?

I'm confused with the opamp usage more than the tubes since I've read some saying adapters needed for dual opamps configurations?? Please recommend better opamps if these are inferior to others, I would like to stay away from adapters and other alterations if possible.

Thanks guys
Edited by SwanSong - 11/11/13 at 1:30pm
post #1589 of 1977
Somebody tell me that it gets much,much better than stock. Right now its a pretty cool looking door stop. It's soooo mushy. mad.gif The more complex the music the mushier it gets. My first impression with acoustic singer/songwriter type stuff was good. Even drums and simple guitars (Jason Mraz's Love album @24/96) sounds fine. Distorted guitars are a mess. It's got 100+ hours burn-in. All my cans suffer the same mush. Volume at 50% is a comfortable level. Burr-Brow 2107 on the way. Fingers crossed.
post #1590 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis View Post

Somebody tell me that it gets much,much better than stock. Right now its a pretty cool looking door stop. It's soooo mushy. mad.gif The more complex the music the mushier it gets. My first impression with acoustic singer/songwriter type stuff was good. Even drums and simple guitars (Jason Mraz's Love album @24/96) sounds fine. Distorted guitars are a mess. It's got 100+ hours burn-in. All my cans suffer the same mush. Volume at 50% is a comfortable level. Burr-Brow 2107 on the way. Fingers crossed.

 

What tubes are you using?  Also stock?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling