New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

best IEM around $100?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
guys, help me out please.
i got the limit of $110 to spend on new cans, and i need an IEM.
which one should i buy? RE2, Super.fi 4 or C751?

i will use it unamped with cowon d2. been used to the sound of koss' portapros, but i don't like it that much.
detailed mids and highs are necessary, but i don't like them harsh sounding.
a deep, good bass is a must too.
i'm almost buying the super.fis 4 but need a decent opinion from you ^^
thanks in advance
post #2 of 11
Thread Starter 
just a note...c551 are an option too, after all they cost the half of those ones i listed
post #3 of 11
Of those you listed, I like the Denons best. Their sound is clean, clear and crisp. They have an excellent soundstage and very deep and powerful, tightly controlled bass.

I feel the highs are a little too bright so I knock them down a bit with an EQ and I also knock the bass down just a tad with the EQ. After tweaking, they approach $300 canalphones in sound quality.
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewislink View Post
Of those you listed, I like the Denons best. Their sound is clean, clear and crisp. They have an excellent soundstage and very deep and powerful, tightly controlled bass.

I feel the highs are a little too bright so I knock them down a bit with an EQ and I also knock the bass down just a tad with the EQ. After tweaking, they approach $300 canalphones in sound quality.
c751s right?
have you compared them to the c551s? the price difference makes me think seriously about getting those.
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubbinwar View Post
c751s right?
have you compared them to the c551s? the price difference makes me think seriously about getting those.
I never have heard the 551s so I can't comment on the difference between the two.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubbinwar View Post
c751s right?
have you compared them to the c551s? the price difference makes me think seriously about getting those.
The c551's have about 2-4 dB more bass reproduction the c700/c751's but lack details in the highs in the C700/751's. The c751's are a better all-round canalphone. Both have same nice deep bass reproduction only the c551's have more in terms of quantity.
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post
The c551's have about 2-4 dB more bass reproduction the c700/c751's but lack details in the highs in the C700/751's. The c751's are a better all-round canalphone. Both have same nice deep bass reproduction only the c551's have more in terms of quantity.
hmm, got it.
i know the sound of the 751s are more detailed, but is it worth double the price? ($50 more)

edit: i see you have both c700s and RE2...how do they compare unamped on cowon d2? (for the same price)
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubbinwar View Post
hmm, got it.
i know the sound of the 751s are more detailed, but is it worth double the price? ($50 more)

edit: i see you have both c700s and RE2...how do they compare unamped on cowon d2? (for the same price)
C700's are better sound quality but have less isolation.
RE2's are good treble but lack bass.
post #9 of 11
I'd say the Westone UM1 is the best in its price range, which is exactly what you stated. They're also very durable, and probably the most comfortable IEMs out there.

I haven't heard the RE2, but I wouldn't use something designed like that anyway. Isolation and over-the-ear are important.
post #10 of 11
Not that I like the RE2s but they are very easy to wear over the ear. I do it with all of my canalphones with the same type of shape...CX300 shape. They are actually much more comfortable that way and seal so much better.
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith View Post
I'd say the Westone UM1 is the best in its price range, which is exactly what you stated. They're also very durable, and probably the most comfortable IEMs out there.

I haven't heard the RE2, but I wouldn't use something designed like that anyway. Isolation and over-the-ear are important.
i worry a lot more about SQ than isolation/comfort. have you compared the UM1 to the denons SQ-wise? (c700/751)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: