Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › 240GB drive for iMod - Please say this will work!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

240GB drive for iMod - Please say this will work! - Page 2

post #16 of 195
I personally can't even fathom ever needing 240 gb for my music collection. once I get my 8gb iAudio 7 I won't be needing another mp3 player for a long time

I wonder if there's a way to upgrade the flash memory of Flash DAPs like the the sansa clip
post #17 of 195
nice!
240 GB will be enough to hold my Jazz collection I'll need a half dozen more to get my full "on the go" collection in my backpack. Still, 240 + Rockbox = bliss!

Now then...can this thing fit in a Cowan Q5? If so, native flac support!
post #18 of 195
240gb? That's insane! Out of curiosity, do you guys really listen to anything more than 30gb worth of songs let alone 240gb?
post #19 of 195
I hate having to delete something everytime I want to add something new to my 80GB imod.

I have nearly 320GB of FLACs and my collection is by no means huge.

I would listen to ALL of it in the course of a few months.
post #20 of 195
FLAC is at the top of the best sound quality right? How many MB is each song?
post #21 of 195
Just to be clear, the 240gb drive is a dual platter drive. This means it's 8mm thick, compared to the 5mm of the single platter drives. This means that the drive will fit in the 160gb ipods, they already use dual platter drives. However, they will most likely not fit in 80gb ipods because these use single platter drives. AFAIK the only dual platter ipods are the now discontinued 160gb models.

My X5L uses a single platter drive, but if I remove the extra bettery (like in the X5 60gb model, which is as big as the X5L) I can fit a dual platter.

3mm isn't a lot, so you might be able to find a solution, but don't expect to just pop it right in.
post #22 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post
I hate having to delete something everytime I want to add something new to my 80GB imod.

I have nearly 320GB of FLACs and my collection is by no means huge.

I would listen to ALL of it in the course of a few months.
Amen to that, I personally only have about 120GB of apple lossless and WAV but it's very hard to decide what to leave out of my 80gb iMod. I mean 30GB is fine for casual listening with 128kbps mp3s but lossless files, forget about it. I for one will jump on the opportunity to upgrade to 240GB
post #23 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by david21 View Post
FLAC is at the top of the best sound quality right? How many MB is each song?
It varies a fair bit depending on the music but on average for me a 3:30 long track takes 18.5 MB.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Expez View Post
...
I'm working on a 320GB imod with adapters and things, going to mount it in a hammond case with 4 ipod batteries, some nice caps etc.

However. this would be much easier, if interested, which I'm not, just curious, I would be happy to have a 3mm gap around the player sealed with tape!
post #24 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expez View Post
Just to be clear, the 240gb drive is a dual platter drive. This means it's 8mm thick, compared to the 5mm of the single platter drives. This means that the drive will fit in the 160gb ipods, they already use dual platter drives. However, they will most likely not fit in 80gb ipods because these use single platter drives. AFAIK the only dual platter ipods are the now discontinued 160gb models.

My X5L uses a single platter drive, but if I remove the extra bettery (like in the X5 60gb model, which is as big as the X5L) I can fit a dual platter.

3mm isn't a lot, so you might be able to find a solution, but don't expect to just pop it right in.
Well the 80GB 5.5G is 0.55" thick and the 160GB is 0.53" but 5.5G has a thicker face plate so I think the back plate is the same
post #25 of 195
Why not just buy a replacement backplate for the 80 gb model for $20 bucks or so.
post #26 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post
It varies a fair bit depending on the music but on average for me a 3:30 long track takes 18.5 MB.
Thank you for that bit of info. I didn't know a short music file would take up that much space hehe
post #27 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expez View Post
Should work just fine with the Rockbox firmware though.
FOr the COwon X5 rockobox goes to 141gb I think. Maybe same thing with Ipod ?
post #28 of 195
This is a nice step up in size, but i might wait for a bigger jump before i upgrade my classic. Just past the 200Gb mark and at this rate will hit 240Gb by christmas easy.
post #29 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by david21 View Post
240gb? That's insane! Out of curiosity, do you guys really listen to anything more than 30gb worth of songs let alone 240gb?
Yes very much so. Here is a typical day for me:

6 AM-6:30AM: Wake up to music, then music in the shower and while making oatmeal and having a coffee. Admittedly this is the radio but still.

6:30-6:45AM: Drive to work = more music

6:45-7:45AM: Work out at the gym at my office, iGrado + Shuffle
8:00-12:00PM: Work, listen to Westone UM2 + Nano

12:00-12:30PM: Drive to school, listen to music on the way

12:30-5:30PM: While studying in my office, music! RS-1/RA-1 + Macbook Pro hooked up to a 500 GB external drive

5:30-6:00PM: Drive home, music of course

6:00-6:30PM: Eat supper in silence, or quasi silence, discussing with the fam the daily activities

6:30-7:30PM: Evening Jazz with the kids as we play before bed time, last two tracks of the evening are always 1 crazy electronic track to get that last bit of energy out of them and then one mellow track to calm them back down.

7:30-8:00PM: Bath and bed routine, no music

8:00-9:00PM: Spend some down time with my wife before she heads off to bed

9:00PM-3:00AM: Study with some downtime mixed in. Most of that 6 hours I have headphones on, main rig! or, if I'm reading for pleasure, I'll have the stereo on with background music. If video games? Music for sure.

2:00AM-3:15AM: Ambient so I can get into the groove of sleeping. UM2's and the Nano here.

3:00AM-6:AM: Sleep most days. This isn't healthy but it is what I have been doing for years now and save for the loss of some well admired hair...I'm doing okay!

So out of 24 hours, I'm listening to music in some form for about 18 hours on some days. That is a lot of music! Some days it may be 12, others if I'm busy or I really need to concentrate, it will be 4. Still, imagine listening to that much music over and over again. It gets to the point where I can just stop using a device think of a piece and I will hear it. I don't like when I do that, I'd rather listen to it or better, listen to new fresh music. I'm always expanding my tastes so I hear new tunes. I suppose my last horizon is getting deeper into rap and country. I feel I can sidestep pop country but bluegrass is getting interesting. Rap though, gosh...I can count on one hand the artists I enjoy. Just not for me.
post #30 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
Yes very much so. Here is a typical day for me:

3:00AM-6:AM: Sleep most days. This isn't healthy but it is what I have been doing for years now and save for the loss of some well admired hair...I'm doing okay!
Yikes, you must have bags the size of suitcases under your eyes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › 240GB drive for iMod - Please say this will work!