Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Klipsch Image X10 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch Image X10 Appreciation Thread - Page 2

post #16 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by oak3x View Post
Just purchased a pair of the Image X5...
Head-fi is in serious need of your impressions! (Please!) Did/Do you, by chance, own the X10 to compare with?
post #17 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Head-fi is in serious need of your impressions! (Please!) Did/Do you, by chance, own the X10 to compare with?
X2
post #18 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Head-fi is in serious need of your impressions! (Please!) Did/Do you, by chance, own the X10 to compare with?
I'd like to know the answer to that too

Having owned the X10 back in February (and then sold them soon after), I'm very curious to know how the midrange/vocals compare with each other.

My biggest issue with the X10 was the overly warm and 'close' vocals. Around 80% of vocals sounded great, with plenty of space between them, and my brain - and the other 20% played right inside my head. It was very random, and I didn't notice these weird quirks on any other earphones.

So I want to know if the midrange is noticeably less warm, and also, where do the vocals play??? I know ajmiarka thought the mids and highs were a little clearer on the X5, but it would be good to hear other opinions too, since the midrange was my only real area of concern.
post #19 of 148
Reading your post made me try the medium bi-flanges, which I had not tried before (was using the single flange gels, medium). I have to say, while the bi-flanges are not as comfy as the singles, they do deliver better sound, mostly the bass everyone talks about. I was pretty happy with the other gels, but the bi-flanges do deliver sound-wise. Of course, they also go deeper, which can irritate (the single gels were really on the ear canal opening). So with the singles, the seal isn't as good, and the sound isn't as good. But the comfort is fantastic. With the b-flanges, you get better sound, but the depth issue can be annoying.

What to do? I guess keep doing what you are doing, and try to get used to them, cause I would rather get max SQ than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post
It usually takes people a little while to get used to having things stuck in their ears for longer periods of time. Some people, myself include fight with sensitivities to some of the materials as well.

I'm a bit odd though, I can be sensitive to something for awhile and it will eventually go away. I couldn't wear my wedding ring for a few months because it just drove me crazy with an itchy, burning sensation. The Shure black olive tips caused a burning sensation I could barely tolerate when I first tried them. I didn't bother for a long time but gave them a try again around Christmas last year without problem. Meanwhile I had been using tri-flanges on the E500's I owned for ages without problem until I suddenly developed a sensitivity to those. It got so bad that I could barely tolerate them for 5 minutes. I still have that sensitivity with Klipsch's ear gels but it's not as bad and it seems to be lessening with continued use. I'm hopeful it will finally just go away soon because I don't feel any of the other tips I've tried sound as good as the bi-flanges.
post #20 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozieq View Post
I'd like to know the answer to that too
I'd really like to know as well. I even heard someone describe the X5 as the more "audiophile" of the two. Though Klispch themselves recommend the X10 "if you like a lot of bass". And I have found that with classical music, you really need a very weighty bottom end indeed in order to properly convey what you would experience at a live concert in a concert hall. And in that context, the bottom end of the X10 is to me just right. Perhaps the X5 is more physically robust too - looking at the pictures it looks like the black tail would be more immune to splitting since it is larger and thicker.
post #21 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
I'd really like to know as well. I even heard someone describe the X5 as the more "audiophile" of the two.
The only information I can find that comments on vocals is Klipsch's own claim:
Quote:
'The X5 has a superior top end with more forward voicing compared to the X10'
If that's true, then I wouldn't want to try them, since I really wouldn't want more forward vocals than the X10
post #22 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozieq View Post
If that's true, then I wouldn't want to try them, since I really wouldn't want more forward vocals than the X10

But didn't the microphonics on the X10 drive you nuts anyway? I doubt the X5 would be much of an improvement in that particular respect. All I can say on that topic is that if I get the microphonics that I do on my X10 when sitting still on my bed, I would hate to think how bad they are when someone is actually moving around!
post #23 of 148
I use the X10s around the house, with a shirt clip, and also when walking the dog. Microphonics not an issue. You must be super sensitive to it. I'd suggest staying away from IEMs, unless you get over the ears, or UM2s, etc.
post #24 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
But didn't the microphonics on the X10 drive you nuts anyway? I doubt the X5 would be much of an improvement in that particular respect. All I can say on that topic is that if I get the microphonics that I do on my X10 when sitting still on my bed, I would hate to think how bad they are when someone is actually moving around!
Good point, yes

The microphonics drove me crazy. I only had to turn my head 1/4" and I'd be plagued by noise. I assumed (hoped?), it might have been reduced with the X5, but the cable looks the same. Mind you, I didn't bother to try a shirt clip as I sold them before the thought ever occurred to me. And I wouldn't say I was particularly sensitive to cable noise - but the X10's were something else
post #25 of 148

Shirt clip?

Shirt clip?
Is there a commercially available clip that can be used with any headphone cable?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tstarn06 View Post
I use the X10s around the house, with a shirt clip, and also when walking the dog. Microphonics not an issue. You must be super sensitive to it. I'd suggest staying away from IEMs, unless you get over the ears, or UM2s, etc.
post #26 of 148
Interesting. I guess that might be more of an issue with a collar, as I mostly wear Ts. I will say the clip keeps the cable from flying around, and I just tighten the two cables from the Y, so they don't flop around or bump into my shirt collar, etc. Wonder if it will change in winter, when wearing a coat.
post #27 of 148
Thread Starter 
I'm thinking the MFs for the X10s are due to a bad or incorrect sleeve fitting. I have noticed a some times when I put the X10s in, if I don't micro adjust them to get the best fit I can...usually tugging on them slightly to maybe seat them better or gently pushing and wiggling them for a better seat, I will experience the MFs you all are talking about. But I rarely suffer it because I fiddle with the seal till it's just right.

Also bare in mind, the sleeves are directional. They have an index mark on them and on the nozzle of the phones to align the sleeves to to match the shape of the ear. Some time a person may need to adjust the rotation a very small degree for perfect fit.
post #28 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatmann View Post
Shirt clip?
Is there a commercially available clip that can be used with any headphone cable?
Yes. Someone listed some links recently. I use the Ety clip ($6) that is made for the er6i. Sometimes, I use clips from other phones (RE2s, for example). But I always use clips with all my IEMs and the OK3s. Not with the Sony canalphones, since they have a J cord.

As for "any" cable, it has to be thin enough to fit inside the clip attachment, or you can crack it. But most IEMs have pretty thin wires.
post #29 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozieq View Post
Good point, yes

The microphonics drove me crazy. I only had to turn my head 1/4" and I'd be plagued by noise. I assumed (hoped?), it might have been reduced with the X5, but the cable looks the same. Mind you, I didn't bother to try a shirt clip as I sold them before the thought ever occurred to me. And I wouldn't say I was particularly sensitive to cable noise - but the X10's were something else
Aren't the TF10s an over the year design, or do you wear them down?

So far, I've been lucky with the X10s, I guess. I am using the mid-size biflanges, and I like the sound, and I really like the lightness and size of the drivers.
post #30 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatmann View Post
Shirt clip?
Is there a commercially available clip that can be used with any headphone cable?
Here's that post tstarn06 mentioned: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4671251-post22.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Klipsch Image X10 Appreciation Thread