or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Windows vs Mac vs Linux
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows vs Mac vs Linux - Page 4

post #46 of 98
BTW, I had some issues with the UI on my Mac freezing forcing me to do a hard reset about 3 times today. It's not perfect that's for sure. Last time this happened was when Leopard was first released.

Stay away from the menu extra enabler and haxies. I no longer use SoundSource.menu since it depends on the menu enabler. It's also not listed as compatible with Leopard. :/

Now, was it my fault? Not completely so IMO. If the OS had a standard way of extending the menus items, the hacks wouldn't be needed. Same with Windows I think in that it's conducive to user error. You can't always blame the user. That would be like blaming drivers for getting into accidents in a highway full of pot holes.
post #47 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by user123456 View Post
The question was not "which is the perfect os" but which os can produce a good/similar sound as windows.
That has been answered in this thread, several times over. Windows, Linux, and the Mac are all capable of excellent sound. Set up correctly, they will be identical.

So, your question's been answered. What's with the hostility?
Quote:
Originally Posted by user123456 View Post
No offense, but you're obviously an idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by user123456 View Post
Another one-liner which is meant to insult, oh wow "I don't know windows as good" well fine I'm still gonna find something better even if I "don't know windows". Another of those fanboy comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by user123456 View Post
Everyone with an ounce of intelligence know you get better on something as more as you use it, and if you say otherwise then you clearly don't know what you're talking about.
By the way, 10 years, even 16-17 hours a day, is not guaranteed to make anyone an expert at anything.

It seems you have a lot more trouble with Windows than the posters that have replied here. I know I haven't had nearly the trouble you have. I'm not a big fan of Windows (I use Linux and a Mac at home), but when I do have to use it, it gets the job done. My work desktop (running Vista) hasn't had a crash yet, and I've been using it for nearly a year.

For comparison, during that time span, both my Linux and Mac systems have crashed. My screen was freezing in Linux every few hours for a while, until I found the cause (which was software, not hardware). Things aren't perfect anywhere.

If you want to give Linux a shot though, go ahead! As I and others have said, it can give you excellent sound quality, once it's set up for it.
post #48 of 98
Well, IMHO from an audiophile point of view you can get happy with all three systems. All three have secure ripping with accurate rip:
• Windows: EAC , dBPowerAmp
• Linux: Cued
• OS X: XLD

and all three also have great audioplayers:
• Windows: Foobar2000, dBPowerAmp
• Linux: Amarok, Aqualung, Quodlibet, ...
• OS X: Cog, Play

So IMHO it just comes down what user interface you like the most. Windows before XP was a PITA with it's crashes (95, 98, ME) or it's bad support (NT, 2000). XP is great (can't talk about Vista, I'm too scared to try it) when it comes down about stability, but it's still too complicated to if you want to change a little thing. You have to click at some unlogical thing to change some sub options to get the result you want.
Linux is very stable and a lot more easier. But sometimes you have to search for the configuration file here, and the next time you need to change something different there. You'll need also some time to learn if you want to master this OS. IMHO FreeBSD is much more easy (and even more stable) but sadly not used very much.
OS X is very different. If your mind has been raped by Windows or Linux before then you will need some time to get used to an OS that doesn't force you to think complicated. It took me two weeks to unlearn all that unlogical stuff that Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Amiga OS, QNX, etc. forced me think before doing an action. After that Windows & Co where a PITA to me and I hate it that I'm forced to use Windows and it's silly tools at work. OS X is so easy that even my GrandMa can use it, but still it got it's powerfull Unix under the hood and I could start the Bash for compiling most BSD and Linux programms and make use of command line tools. Another thing that got me sold to OS X is that it is the OS with the most Pro Audio tools, which is important for me as a musician.
But I don't claim that OS X is the only valid OS for everyone. If you need to use some tools that only exist for Windows (still a lot) or that you have spend years to dive into the deeps of windows and now are an expert, then you wouldn't get happy with OS X. If you don't like to pay for your OS or want to configure every bit to your like then Linux (or FreeBSD) is the thing you probably get the happiest with.
post #49 of 98
Thread Starter 
I'll prolly go over to Linux, since linux is faster than mac. I'll try OpenSuse and I'll tell you guys how it went.
post #50 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by user123456 View Post
No ****? That's what I was saying to him but he insist windows is best, best at what?
Best at everything. Better hardware support, better interface (I'm typing this on an 8-core mac pro and I don't really like it), better customisation options etc. And I've actually had more crashes with my macs at the work place than on my home pc so. I could go on, but I have a strange feeling that it would be useless. If you wanna try a mac, go ahead. Maybe you'll like it.


Quote:
I've gotten viruses by some java sites.
Like where? Give me a link and I'll take a look at the site.

Quote:
...I was a windows fanboy too.
Either it's crap or it's great? Ok...
post #51 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarek99 View Post
Like where? Give me a link and I'll take a look at the site.

Either it's crap or it's great? Ok...
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

I rather try OpenSuse than Mac, I'm feeling Linux has a bit performance
post #52 of 98
Please don't link to potential Virus infected sites without a very clear warning.

Thanks
post #53 of 98
None of those sites contained a virus; I tried them in a VMWare session just to be sure, but my Vista install wasn't contaminated or changed in the slightest when they were opened in both IE and Firefox.
post #54 of 98
Suse is a decent first distro choice. It was the one I started out with several years ago. I personally don't care for RPM based package management though. The only other issue I had w/Suse was their odd placement of libs, executables, config files.... They did not follow traditional linux standards. Maybe that has since changed over the years.

I know everyone recommends Ubuntu, but, it is a newbie friendly distro (including forums and documentation). Not to say it's a newbie only distro like some others. I do find it a bit to automated for my tastes.

I prefer a distro that has a rolling release philosophy. Install it once, keep it up to date and done.

You may, at some point, want to check MythTV if you want something to watch videos, play music, record TV shows... It can be a pain to set up for the uninitiated, but, it's pretty nice. It's mainly a homebrew PVR but I use it to listen to all my music via MythMusic.
post #55 of 98
The only thing holding me back from making *nix my desktop OS is the fact there's a lack of support for high-end hardware. I couldn't care about gaming, I can find something better with my time, but no matter how many times I adjust my hardware one thing isn't good to go.

I use various flavors of Linux and Unix at work, which is fine and dandy. But as far as setting up audio and other applications, those OS's are just an annoyance.

Improve the hardware support and I'm on board.
post #56 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerikx View Post
The only thing holding me back from making *nix my desktop OS is the fact there's a lack of support for high-end hardware. I couldn't care about gaming, I can find something better with my time, but no matter how many times I adjust my hardware one thing isn't good to go.

I use various flavors of Linux and Unix at work, which is fine and dandy. But as far as setting up audio and other applications, those OS's are just an annoyance.

Improve the hardware support and I'm on board.
So a Mac Pro (two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32GB RAM, 4x 1TB HDD, NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB, ...) is not high-end hardware?
Wow! /me wonder what you are looking for...
post #57 of 98
Thread Starter 
Both Linux and Mac support high-end hardware. what they don't support is windows PC games beside wine.
post #58 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by user123456 View Post
Sure, turning of java would be easy, but if a virus is inserted directly to the computer just because of java and firefox then there is seriously something wrong with this system and its security.
Well you've said yourself, this isn't a windows problem, sure the virus itself would be targetted at windows, but to get it onto your computer vulnerabilites in java and/or firefox were used = not part of windows.

I suggest you use noscript to avoid such problems, it will probably be annoying for a little while because you have to allow the sites you trust. But I think 2 clicks every so often is worth the added security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user123456 View Post
BSODS are usually for faulty hardware, however my hardware, memory and CPU is good shape, they're brand new and I've done memtest and super-pi there is no wrong with my parts.
Then it is likely a driver problem, once again not really a windows problem. Standard procedure, check the motherboards manufacturers site for new drivers and/or bios, could solve your problems.

A bit off topic, but the question has already been answered so I'm making some possibly helpful suggestions.
post #59 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaman View Post
Well you've said yourself, this isn't a windows problem, sure the virus itself would be targetted at windows, but to get it onto your computer vulnerabilites in java and/or firefox were used = not part of windows.
What do you mean not part of windows? It's not windows fault, nobody has said that, however viruses are a part of windows world whether or not you wanna believe that.

People who spread viruses do it in windows since it's easier to infect people there, it's not windows fault but they are partly to be blamed for their bad security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaman View Post
I suggest you use noscript to avoid such problems, it will probably be annoying for a little while because you have to allow the sites you trust. But I think 2 clicks every so often is worth the added security.
Already been suggested in the thread, are you some kind of parrot? Actually whenever I'm trying to go over to linux, windows fanboys have some excuse oh it's not this or that fault it's yours etc. Spare me the ********, and I could install noscript over at linux if I wanted, and I had that in mind as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaman View Post
Then it is likely a driver problem, once again not really a windows problem. Standard procedure, check the motherboards manufacturers site for new drivers and/or bios, could solve your problems
I've used linux in the past, with the same motherboard and computer, I've never gotten a bsod there.

BSOD's are a part of windows and the fault of windows, Mac users also can get BSOD's but then it's a really bad thing that has happen, by surfing or such I've gotten a BSOD over at windows, and it's not a driver or bios problem since everything is maintained correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaman View Post
A bit off topic, but the question has already been answered so I'm making some possibly helpful suggestions.
Parrot see parrot does.
post #60 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by user123456 View Post
What do you mean not part of windows? It's not windows fault, nobody has said that, however viruses are a part of windows world whether or not you wanna believe that.
I mean exactly what I say, the vulnerability you were complaining about was a part of java or firefox, which is 3rd party software and completely out of Microsofts control.

Quote:
People who spread viruses do it in windows since it's easier to infect people there, it's not windows fault but they are partly to be blamed for their bad security.
Another, possibly bigger reason for targetting windows is that there is a heck of a lot of windows machines around. There's plenty of vulnerabilities in *nix, but less users, so less reason to target them. The large font here is completely unnecessary btw.

Quote:
Already been suggested in the thread, are you some kind of parrot? Actually whenever I'm trying to go over to linux, windows fanboys have some excuse oh it's not this or that fault it's yours etc. Spare me the ********, and I could install noscript over at linux if I wanted, and I had that in mind as well.
Ok, I didn't read the entire thread, but I read a large portion and obviously missed that someone else suggested noscript. This is no reason to start throwing insults around. I never mentioned linux and I am fully aware that you can use noscript on linux (its not a program in itself, simply a firefox extension). In fact, I do so myself. But what has this got to do with what I said?

Quote:
I've used linux in the past, with the same motherboard and computer, I've never gotten a bsod there.
Well of course you wouldn't get a BSOD, they are a windows feature (yes a feature, they are a way of displaying an error message). And that you didn't get errors is no surprise really, linux itself is more stable, but you're also using completely different drivers, as it could be the windows drivers that are causing your stability problems.

Quote:
BSOD's are a part of windows and the fault of windows ... by surfing or such I've gotten a BSOD over at windows, and it's not a driver or bios problem since everything is maintained correctly.
Yes BSOD's are obviously a part of windows as I said above, but no, they are not necessarily the fault of windows, windows has simply crashed, for any reason, and it is displaying an error message by way of a BSOD. I really don't know how you manage to get a BSOD from surfing the net.

Quote:
Parrot see parrot does.
Insulting me again.
Gee, we have ourselves a troll
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Windows vs Mac vs Linux