Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › SACD vs Vinyl (pros and cons?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SACD vs Vinyl (pros and cons?) - Page 3

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by memepool View Post
Isn't it odd then that their full sized machines like the Sony BDP-S1 support a Matsu****a format like DVD but won't play legacy Sony format's like SACD or even redbook...
Or that only some PS3s do SACD?
post #32 of 51
... its called abandonment
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver :) View Post
SACD is a very nice addition if you maintain a decent stationary rig anyway. Great sounding discs are much, much more frequent than on redbook...
(emphasis mine)

You make some great points in your post, Oliver, but I strongly disagree with the emphasized portion. There are many great sounding SACDs, but any given day you can go to the Hoffman forums marketplace and find HUNDREDS of audiophile quality RBCDs for sale, in the form of Hoffman masters (DCC et. al.), MFSLs, West German Target pressings, anything mastered by Nimbus, Japanese Black Triangles, blue/orange Swirls, or any early CD pressing straight transfer not affected by digititis.

Of course most of these are going to be albums recorded in the 80s or before, but isn't that when all the best music was made anyway?
post #34 of 51
Take a look at my posting #6 at the following link:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/mor...9/#post4644619
post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhatfield View Post
(emphasis mine)

You make some great points in your post, Oliver, but I strongly disagree with the emphasized portion. There are many great sounding SACDs, but any given day you can go to the Hoffman forums marketplace and find HUNDREDS of audiophile quality RBCDs for sale, in the form of Hoffman masters (DCC et. al.), MFSLs, West German Target pressings, anything mastered by Nimbus, Japanese Black Triangles, blue/orange Swirls, or any early CD pressing straight transfer not affected by digititis.

Of course most of these are going to be albums recorded in the 80s or before, but isn't that when all the best music was made anyway?
Well, of course? My intention was to state that proportionately you have much better chances of picking up a well produced SACD—"blind", so without looking at who made it or looking for reviews—than redbook, as there are many times more CDs than SACDs.
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver :) View Post
Well, of course? My intention was to state that proportionately you have much better chances of picking up a well produced SACD—"blind", so without looking at who made it or looking for reviews—than redbook, as there are many times more CDs than SACDs.
I think I can feel you on this one. Most jazz SACDs I've heard sound superb, and pretty much all of the classical ones.

In rock, the only ones I know we are definitely to avoid are the new Genesis masters. Absolutely wretched! These SACDs are nothing short of a crime against music. I know that sounds like hyperbole but I really, really like Genesis, and since most of their recordings are audiophile quality, I expect the same from the masterings. Instead on the SACD we get brickwalled, piercingly bright, and compressed sound.
post #37 of 51
Vinyl is the only way to go for me. Most bands I like only press 500 copies of their albums on vinyl, a lot of the times even the CDs are out of print... so SACD is pretty impossible.
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
It is already happening The first bluray only release was launched last month (might have been late June).
Wow!What was the title and where can I find it?
post #39 of 51


Divertimenti is a Bluray + hybrid SACD release

musikkonline - 2L

Hybrid SACD:

* Stereo DSD
* MCH 5.1 DSD
* Stereo 16/44.1

Blu-Ray (dual layer):

* Stereo Linear PCM 24 BIT / 192 kHz
* MCH 5.1 Linear PCM 24 BIT / 192 kHz
* MCH 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio 24 BIT / 192 kHz
* MCH 5.1 Dolby True HD 24 BIT / 192 kHz
* MCH 5.1 DD 48kHz


Plus, Neil Young's Archives will be released Nov 3
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post


Divertimenti is a Bluray + hybrid SACD release

musikkonline - 2L

Hybrid SACD:

* Stereo DSD
* MCH 5.1 DSD
* Stereo 16/44.1

Blu-Ray (dual layer):

* Stereo Linear PCM 24 BIT / 192 kHz
* MCH 5.1 Linear PCM 24 BIT / 192 kHz
* MCH 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio 24 BIT / 192 kHz
* MCH 5.1 Dolby True HD 24 BIT / 192 kHz
* MCH 5.1 DD 48kHz


Plus, Neil Young's Archives will be released Nov 3
Thank you for that.
I found some others on amazon also but they made no mention of stereo
Amazon.com: Blu-ray audio - DVD: Movies & TV
post #41 of 51
David Gilmour's LIVE AT THE ALBERT HALL is available on Blu-Ray.
post #42 of 51

Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozz View Post
David Gilmour's LIVE AT THE ALBERT HALL is available on Blu-Ray.
This needs its own thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/bl...5/#post4654467
post #43 of 51
coming back to SACD, this might be interesting to SACD afficionados



what a surprise... a new Sony SACD player
post #44 of 51
One reason why I won't bother with SACD is that it is locked down to a ridiculously fascist degree. Not only can't you rip the SACD to your computer, but you can't even burn a disc to play in a SACD player. I have quite a few 24/96 live recordings that I'd love to be able to burn to a more portable format without resampling, but it isn't going to happen with SACD. Are you an independent musician who wants to release a high-quality disc? With SACD, forget about it.

You can burn unencrypted DVD-A, however.

Are there any DVD players that can play 24-bit FLAC files from a DVD-ROM?
post #45 of 51
To me, it's not about formats. It's about the music you like. After that, what format is it available in? And which represents the best mastering? It's as simple as that. Vinyl does not always trounce digital. SACD is not always better than some CD masterings.

To only focus on one format is pretty pointless, as are any comparisons. Nothing is leaps and bounds above another.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › SACD vs Vinyl (pros and cons?)