I'm tonnes of gear removed from my days with the RKV Mk II (bone stock), but it was my first tube amp and I still have fond memories. It was quite lovely with the HD600 and 650. Not great transparency, as Purk mentioned, but warm and lush - with power behind it - like few others. The RKV was a charmer while it was going for $1.2K new and < $1K used (under $700 for a while), but I can't see any justification to the current price level. The choice of op-amp followed by tubes was certainly interesting; hard to find anything else like it.
Related Forum Threads
- where to buy RKV Mark II ? Last post on 9/7/11 at 5:32am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introductory word They say that once you go black.... yeah. This is quite self-explanatory. And behold, black iFi Audio product emerged. I can only say - finally. Cheers to 'em English folks....
Today is my long overdue review of the Cayin i5. I had trouble getting this review complete due to a holiday emergency and a slow recovery however, better late than never. *disclaimer* I've...
Company 64 Audio (former 1964 Ears) is a well-known maker of top-level multidriver IEMs. They are offering a big range of models, but the most attractive feature of their earphones is APEX...
In my self-imposed haughtiness and superiority, I have always told Alfred and Martin that I will be the high-end reviewer for this blog, and that they should be responsible for more budget...
I try not to be an extremist and I try to give most products I review a decent amount of hearing before making any judgments on their quality but when a product reaches with a level of quality I...
AudioValve RKV II - Does Anyone Still Own One? - Page 3post #31 of 371/1/11 at 12:57am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #32 of 371/1/11 at 2:20am
Search the forums, there's a thread with details about upgrading the OPAMPs. You need to put a compensation cap on the OPA627s and 827s, but the result is much better. It's a bit on the warm side of things, but has a huge soundstage with the HD-800s and sounds magnificent with them. I never got around to upgrading the power supply caps unfortunately. If someone were to DIY the design (which has been done, with permission from the designer from what I gather) then a better power supply would make a considerable difference I reckon.
I wouldn't be surprised if the price of them now has to do with shipping, as they come with a considerable amount of brass in the feet and knobs. Indeed, below $1k they are very good value, and with the impedenzer quite flexible. I used mine with a pair of Paradigm Titans in near field which was lovely. Ultimately though, the rather flimsy circuit board and lack of ultimate detail in the music resulted in me selling mine. I sometimes miss it though.post #33 of 371/1/11 at 8:45amQuote:Search the forums, there's a thread with details about upgrading the OPAMPs. You need to put a compensation cap on the OPA627s and 827s, but the result is much better.
This is exactly what I am looking for days, but I have not found this post ! unless I made a mistake with the search... please give me the URL if you know it .. Many thankspost #34 of 371/1/11 at 1:05pmQuote:
Yup, such a sweet sound that has an ability to mask many irritating flaws in mediocre recordings, is a virtue often realized after its gone.post #35 of 371/1/11 at 1:44pmpost #36 of 371/1/11 at 3:40pm
- AudioValve RKV II - Does Anyone Still Own One?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 16 seconds ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread 18 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 26 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 30 seconds ago
- › Denon AH-7200 45 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 2 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › Cayin i5 by Voxata
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear