I'm tonnes of gear removed from my days with the RKV Mk II (bone stock), but it was my first tube amp and I still have fond memories. It was quite lovely with the HD600 and 650. Not great transparency, as Purk mentioned, but warm and lush - with power behind it - like few others. The RKV was a charmer while it was going for $1.2K new and < $1K used (under $700 for a while), but I can't see any justification to the current price level. The choice of op-amp followed by tubes was certainly interesting; hard to find anything else like it.
Related Forum Threads
- where to buy RKV Mark II ? Last post on 9/7/11 at 5:32am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 1/12/15 at 3:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
EL-8 fuses the best of many worlds for me. Picture if you will, the deepest, well defined bass you have ever heard. Now add to the picture the warmth only a ribbon tweeter can produce. Top all this...
M6 Pro reviewThe original m6 holds a special place in my heart. It was my first iem purchased after joining Head-fi. It was also my first pair of quality in ear headphones and a stepping stone that...
2 years ago when Fiio X3 came in place, I was so proud to say that it was one the best high quality digital audio player on the market at that time with a very good smooth sound, engaging bass...
They beat my DT 770's. That was enough for me. Everything about them was better. Vocal clarity, soundstage....upfront vocals...beautiful and not just for the price. Under rated... people don't...
Here's everything you need to know http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/03/measurements-sony-playstation-1-scph.html Here's the Stereophile review on it...
- Headphone Impedance
AudioValve RKV II - Does Anyone Still Own One? - Page 3
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Search the forums, there's a thread with details about upgrading the OPAMPs. You need to put a compensation cap on the OPA627s and 827s, but the result is much better. It's a bit on the warm side of things, but has a huge soundstage with the HD-800s and sounds magnificent with them. I never got around to upgrading the power supply caps unfortunately. If someone were to DIY the design (which has been done, with permission from the designer from what I gather) then a better power supply would make a considerable difference I reckon.
I wouldn't be surprised if the price of them now has to do with shipping, as they come with a considerable amount of brass in the feet and knobs. Indeed, below $1k they are very good value, and with the impedenzer quite flexible. I used mine with a pair of Paradigm Titans in near field which was lovely. Ultimately though, the rather flimsy circuit board and lack of ultimate detail in the music resulted in me selling mine. I sometimes miss it though.
This is exactly what I am looking for days, but I have not found this post ! unless I made a mistake with the search... please give me the URL if you know it .. Many thanks
Yup, such a sweet sound that has an ability to mask many irritating flaws in mediocre recordings, is a virtue often realized after its gone.
- AudioValve RKV II - Does Anyone Still Own One?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 1 minute ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here! 1 minute ago
- › Metrum Acoustics Octave (Mk I - the two chassis version) 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › What can I replace the V-MODA BoomPro with? 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8 Open-Back by tonyjoy
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by indieman
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by kytuphicanh
- › Takstar Pro 80 by alphaproject
- › Sony Playstation PS One - Video Game Console by Stereocilia
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by Wokei
- › OPPO PM-3 by Soundsgoodtome
- › Focal XS Satellite Speakers with Dock for iPod and MP3 Players by cuiter23
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone, Professional Sound Good Sound... by twister6
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by viperxp
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2