I'm tonnes of gear removed from my days with the RKV Mk II (bone stock), but it was my first tube amp and I still have fond memories. It was quite lovely with the HD600 and 650. Not great transparency, as Purk mentioned, but warm and lush - with power behind it - like few others. The RKV was a charmer while it was going for $1.2K new and < $1K used (under $700 for a while), but I can't see any justification to the current price level. The choice of op-amp followed by tubes was certainly interesting; hard to find anything else like it.
Related Forum Threads
- where to buy RKV Mark II ? Last post on 9/7/11 at 5:32am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 6/18/15 at 8:36am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Out-of-box experience.....Accessories and packaging Receiving and unboxing the RHA T20 gives the impression that this product is not just "some" product. Everything signals quality and thought....
Firstly, like to thank Billy from Busisoft for organising the Westone UM PRO 10 for this review. Westone needs no introduction, they are one of the industry leaders for professional monitors...
Intro:- I was really excited when SoundMAGIC announced a couple of new earphones with a new “Reference” line up, Led by E80, their flagship, and subordinate E50( like Bumblebee), what I...
I was invited by Noontec to write a honest review of their Hammo S headphone. I tend to be very skeptical about lower-priced headphones, since the bottom tier of headphones/speakers tend to...
- Headphone Impedance
AudioValve RKV II - Does Anyone Still Own One? - Page 3
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Search the forums, there's a thread with details about upgrading the OPAMPs. You need to put a compensation cap on the OPA627s and 827s, but the result is much better. It's a bit on the warm side of things, but has a huge soundstage with the HD-800s and sounds magnificent with them. I never got around to upgrading the power supply caps unfortunately. If someone were to DIY the design (which has been done, with permission from the designer from what I gather) then a better power supply would make a considerable difference I reckon.
I wouldn't be surprised if the price of them now has to do with shipping, as they come with a considerable amount of brass in the feet and knobs. Indeed, below $1k they are very good value, and with the impedenzer quite flexible. I used mine with a pair of Paradigm Titans in near field which was lovely. Ultimately though, the rather flimsy circuit board and lack of ultimate detail in the music resulted in me selling mine. I sometimes miss it though.
This is exactly what I am looking for days, but I have not found this post ! unless I made a mistake with the search... please give me the URL if you know it .. Many thanks
Yup, such a sweet sound that has an ability to mask many irritating flaws in mediocre recordings, is a virtue often realized after its gone.
- AudioValve RKV II - Does Anyone Still Own One?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC 17 seconds ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 22 seconds ago
- › Topping D3 (JUNE 2013 RELEASE) (DAC + Headphone Amp) 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 1 minute ago
- › The Chord Hugo TT is announced. 1 minute ago
- › Headphones with good isolation with the sound quality of sennheiser... 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 3 minutes ago
- › NOS & Used USSR Orthodynamic headphones TDS-5/5M, TDS-16 (Kiev &... 3 minutes ago
- › Don Scorpio sMushroom HD Bluetooth iem by Baycode
- › RHA T20 by rasmushorn
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by pformagg
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by suman134
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by Lunatique
- › OPPO PM-3 by RazrLeaf
- › Xtreme Xplosives In Ear by Omar717
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by morethansense
- › Sony XBA-10/N Gold | Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese... by LikeABell
- › Joseph Grado HPA-1 by kayandjohn
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)