I'm tonnes of gear removed from my days with the RKV Mk II (bone stock), but it was my first tube amp and I still have fond memories. It was quite lovely with the HD600 and 650. Not great transparency, as Purk mentioned, but warm and lush - with power behind it - like few others. The RKV was a charmer while it was going for $1.2K new and < $1K used (under $700 for a while), but I can't see any justification to the current price level. The choice of op-amp followed by tubes was certainly interesting; hard to find anything else like it.
Related Forum Threads
- where to buy RKV Mark II ? Last post on 9/7/11 at 5:32am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 1/12/15 at 3:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank AudioQuest for providing me with a review sample of their product in exchange for my honest opinion. No matter how much I enjoy listening to...
Read a number of reviews on this pair of headphones before buying, and was quite surprised that no one mentioned the boxy band ( maybe somewhere around 3.5 - 5k ?? ) of upper mids. some songs...
Sony walkman A-10 review PACKAGING : so simple .. just the player,cable and...
Build I've had a lot of headphones in the past and prior to this I thought in the sub 300 price category the Beyer DT990/880 were the best, they certainly still are at the top of the chart but this...
A Brief Review of the FiiO X3 2nd Generation DAP with Comparisons to the Xuelin iHiFi 800. Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. James Chung for allowing this preview of FiiO’s new X3...
- Headphone Impedance
AudioValve RKV II - Does Anyone Still Own One? - Page 3
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Search the forums, there's a thread with details about upgrading the OPAMPs. You need to put a compensation cap on the OPA627s and 827s, but the result is much better. It's a bit on the warm side of things, but has a huge soundstage with the HD-800s and sounds magnificent with them. I never got around to upgrading the power supply caps unfortunately. If someone were to DIY the design (which has been done, with permission from the designer from what I gather) then a better power supply would make a considerable difference I reckon.
I wouldn't be surprised if the price of them now has to do with shipping, as they come with a considerable amount of brass in the feet and knobs. Indeed, below $1k they are very good value, and with the impedenzer quite flexible. I used mine with a pair of Paradigm Titans in near field which was lovely. Ultimately though, the rather flimsy circuit board and lack of ultimate detail in the music resulted in me selling mine. I sometimes miss it though.
This is exactly what I am looking for days, but I have not found this post ! unless I made a mistake with the search... please give me the URL if you know it .. Many thanks
Yup, such a sweet sound that has an ability to mask many irritating flaws in mediocre recordings, is a virtue often realized after its gone.
- AudioValve RKV II - Does Anyone Still Own One?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › the Pimeta-V2 thread 2 minutes ago
- › SF Bay Area mini meet 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Will a conversion from WAV to AIFF within Itunes cause too much... 2 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 4 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Verb IEM Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 5 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2 USB DAC by twister6
- › AKG K271 MKII Headphones by 1nfiniti
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by Mmet
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Zulkr9
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2