New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Magic: The Gathering - Page 4

post #46 of 224
I was a fool in Elementary School. While Magic: The Gathering was clearly the more popular comic card game, I got myself into the less popular Rage: The Apocalypse comic card series as well as NetRunner (another comic card series). I really should get around to starting a Magic deck and learning as I still have many friends who do play.
post #47 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylan8301 View Post
Thorn Elemental isn't unblockable, he only assigns damage as though he weren't blocked. Your opponents could still block him, but he would simply assign all 14 damage to the opponent he was attacking. This means that he could potentially be killed with enough blockers. That's why the Thorn Elemental, while good, isn't quite as good as Rhox, who has regeneration to off-set the chance he could be killed in combat.
when playing the deck i can usually get that combo out early enough that the opponent doesn't have enough blockers... especially if i'm playing against a deck that is more spell based than creature based

playing against another creature deck with it was always a fun experience both players end up taking a beating

Quote:
I'm curious why you splashed white into a zombie deck. Wrath of god, maybe?
the white is mostly in there for protection i think... i'd have to dig it out to see what all was added on the white side but i'm sure i didn't put wrath of god in (plus certain editions of the card have wording that clearly states "cannot regenerate"... zombie deck + cannot regenerate)

i've played a few games where we allowed custom cards... i have one i made for my zombie deck

Zombie Apocalypse
Enchantment
All creatures you control are now zombies, all blocking creatures that are killed become zombies under your control after one turn, all blocking creatures not killed become zombies under your control after 3 turns, all creatures in your graveyard regenerate after one turn.
tap 2 mana create 1/1 zombie token

they either don't bother blocking or they eventually lose all their creatures all while your zombie horde keeps growing
post #48 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylan8301 View Post
Why red slivers? The only good slivers for red are homing sliver and heart sliver...neither of which really help win games in the long run. I would dump the red and go with blue slivers (winged and crystalline being the replacements) along with counters to back it up. So, pretty much counter-slivers.

That doubling season/mycoloth deck must be for group games as that combo is slower than molasses. However, in a group game, once it went off, it would go off big. Running any other "fungi" in that deck? Doubling season does fairly well with all the Time Spiral fungus.

Anywho, good to hear that the younger folk are playing...

Nylan
I don't have my decks on me so I can't tell you exactly what red slivers I've got in there but I have a 4/4 that gives me trample, a 3/3 that gives double strike and a few other things. The deck also has two sliver legions (obviously not to be put out at the same time) which do a good job of pulling games into my favor.

The sap deck is entirely fungus creatures, it has life and limb (along with naturalize to prevent my board from getting wiped), mycoloths and doubling seasons along with the green/white guildmage that lets me buy saps. it takes about 3 turns to really get going but if I live more then 7 turns the deck doesn't lose.

The reason it works so well is the game either starts with me having a doubling seasons in my first hand and in 5 turns I'm pumping out saps from my fungus cards like crazy. I also have fungus that lets me fog so if I have a doubling seasons out I'm also pretty hard to touch with a few of those in play. Or I have all fungus and the deck runs like a tribal deck and I end up with a few saps. If the saps can't get them I can easily overrun the average deck with the fungus creatures I put in.
post #49 of 224
Played since 6th grade. The Tempest set was just released and where I started. Still has a warm fuzzy place in my heart.

Got a case (6 booster boxes) of Darksteel+2 other boxes from that block with some friends. Played booster drafts with 8 of us all weekend. Was a blast. Would like to do that again with an old set again. After the Urza block they just started adding all these various abilities and such (in addition to the old stuff) which IMO killed the game. My friends and I still play, but we try to just use old cards and decks.

Some of my fav decks:
Counter-burn (cheap/free counterspells+burns=fun. One of the most hated decks in my group of friends)
Infinite life gain- I forget the cards ATM, but basically sac x life to be able to create x/x tokens, sac them for life, put in another token generator with more life, rinse repeat.
Green stompy- Came from the booster draft, but uses Darksteel Colossus and 1/1 token generators then overrun FTW
elf deck- friend made a pretty solid elf deck
worm deck- friend made a fun to play deck using oath of druids+a card that when flipped into graveyard shuffles graveyard back into library
Sliver deck- slivers just are beasts

There were some others, I just cant remember. I'd be interested in buying some older cards if anybody is selling their old stuff (Urza block or prior)
post #50 of 224
I've got a bunch of cards to sell if I ever get around to going through them. Started playing when The Dark was released and stopped around the time of the Urza sets or a bit before... though I did start playing a couple times after that as well. So a bit of a strange mix of cards. I used to play black with splashes of other colors thrown in. My favorite two decks were a chains of mephistopheles deck and a khabal ghoul deck, but those became a bit less effective when I sold my Juzam Djinns. Used to have a chaos orb back when they were fun as well. I sometimes miss the game, but don't have the time or money to catch up with the millions of sets that have come out since I stopped.
post #51 of 224
Woot. Just got Silver Seraph to add to my cleric deck.

Still wondering which deck from the Planeshift series I should buy though...

Out of the Azorius Ascendant, Simic Mutology or Rakdos bloodsport theme decks from Magic, which one would be best?
post #52 of 224
Oh, and here's the card list for my current favorite deck

Plains 8
Swamp 8


Sunfire Balm
Vigilance
Master apothecary
Defender of the order
Disciple of Grace x 2
Pious Kitsune
Daru Mender
Healing slave
Nobal Templar
Valor
Teroh's Faithful
Celestial gatekeeper
Profane prayers x 2
Daunting defender x 3
Whipgrass entangler x 2
Doubtless one x 3
Battlefield Medic x 2
Cage of Hands
Defensive Maneuvers
Misery Charm x 2
Daru spiritualist
Holy strength
Akroma's devoted
Viscous hunger
Disciple of Malice
Vile Deacon x 2
Cabal Archon
Cleanfall x 2
Soltari Visionary x 2
Decree of Justice
Zealous Inquisitor
Indomitable will
Sandskin x 2
Renewed Faith
Walking nightmare
Ghostly Prison
Silver Seraph.

66 cards total

Any suggestions? It seems to do rather well at the moment.
post #53 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto View Post
I don't have my decks on me so I can't tell you exactly what red slivers I've got in there but I have a 4/4 that gives me trample, a 3/3 that gives double strike and a few other things. The deck also has two sliver legions (obviously not to be put out at the same time) which do a good job of pulling games into my favor.

The sap deck is entirely fungus creatures, it has life and limb (along with naturalize to prevent my board from getting wiped), mycoloths and doubling seasons along with the green/white guildmage that lets me buy saps. it takes about 3 turns to really get going but if I live more then 7 turns the deck doesn't lose.

The reason it works so well is the game either starts with me having a doubling seasons in my first hand and in 5 turns I'm pumping out saps from my fungus cards like crazy. I also have fungus that lets me fog so if I have a doubling seasons out I'm also pretty hard to touch with a few of those in play. Or I have all fungus and the deck runs like a tribal deck and I end up with a few saps. If the saps can't get them I can easily overrun the average deck with the fungus creatures I put in.
Thelon of Havenwood isn't a horrible sideboard for decks that run a lot of cards like wrath of god (board-wipe, etc.). He's won me a game here and there.
post #54 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx_23 View Post
Oh, and here's the card list for my current favorite deck

Plains 8
Swamp 8


Sunfire Balm
Vigilance
Master apothecary
Defender of the order
Disciple of Grace x 2
Pious Kitsune
Daru Mender
Healing slave
Nobal Templar
Valor
Teroh's Faithful
Celestial gatekeeper
Profane prayers x 2
Daunting defender x 3
Whipgrass entangler x 2
Doubtless one x 3
Battlefield Medic x 2
Cage of Hands
Defensive Maneuvers
Misery Charm x 2
Daru spiritualist
Holy strength
Akroma's devoted
Viscous hunger
Disciple of Malice
Vile Deacon x 2
Cabal Archon
Cleanfall x 2
Soltari Visionary x 2
Decree of Justice
Zealous Inquisitor
Indomitable will
Sandskin x 2
Renewed Faith
Walking nightmare
Ghostly Prison
Silver Seraph.

66 cards total

Any suggestions? It seems to do rather well at the moment.
Take out twelve of your worst cards and add in 3 plains and 3 swamps. That should help you get more dependable land drops and keep the deck at the sixty card limitation. Other than that, the deck isn't very consistent, and you should try to figure out what you want the deck to do. Aggro (creatures attack), Combo (certain combination goes off and wins the game) or control (stops your opponent from winning while you use large threats to win the game). I've seen all three deck archetypes done with clerics. I myself have built a cleric deck for a friend.

That alone should help the deck. You can PM me with questions, or just continue to post here.
post #55 of 224
From my playing so far, I think what I'd like to do is control the game with threats, which atm is mainly done by having lots of clerics out to bolster each other (e.g. Doubtless one).

I really haven't played enough, especially against experienced competition, to know where the real weaknesses of my deck lie at the moment. Mana draw doesn't seem to be a big issue at the moment, but you're right, I think I will get some more mana in there pronto.

Since I'm so noob at this, what are the deck limitations for tournament play? I thought that the 2 main rules were no more than 4 copies of 1 card, and minimum 60 cards.

Oh yeah, I'm heading into the city tomorrow, so I might pop by the card shops. Anything I should look out for (theme decks, boosters, whatever)?
post #56 of 224
i had fun playing in middle school, then started making money out of it and it lost it's magic... (ha)
post #57 of 224
Isn't making money out of it a good thing?
post #58 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx_23 View Post
From my playing so far, I think what I'd like to do is control the game with threats, which atm is mainly done by having lots of clerics out to bolster each other (e.g. Doubtless one).

I really haven't played enough, especially against experienced competition, to know where the real weaknesses of my deck lie at the moment. Mana draw doesn't seem to be a big issue at the moment, but you're right, I think I will get some more mana in there pronto.

Since I'm so noob at this, what are the deck limitations for tournament play? I thought that the 2 main rules were no more than 4 copies of 1 card, and minimum 60 cards.

Oh yeah, I'm heading into the city tomorrow, so I might pop by the card shops. Anything I should look out for (theme decks, boosters, whatever)?
It depends on the tournament. There are four different tournaments that exist: standard (or type 2 as many people call it), extended (or type 1.5 as many would say), Vintage (which is type 1), and legacy (which is tweaked vintage). Sadly, your deck would only be extended legal, which is a pretty brutal format.

As far as some good cards for control in black and white; sword to plowshares, wrath of god, path to exile, and terror to name a very small few.

Two really good clerics are mother of runes and beloved chaplain (both rares and might be expensive). Another would be edgewalker.

Good luck,

Nylan

PS: Search on the gatherer at the M:tG website to get ideas for other good clerics.
post #59 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx_23 View Post
Isn't making money out of it a good thing?
Making money doesn't always mean that it's fun.

Nylan
post #60 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylan8301 View Post
It depends on the tournament. There are four different tournaments that exist: standard (or type 2 as many people call it), extended (or type 1.5 as many would say), Vintage (which is type 1), and legacy (which is tweaked vintage). Sadly, your deck would only be extended legal, which is a pretty brutal format.

As far as some good cards for control in black and white; sword to plowshares, wrath of god, path to exile, and terror to name a very small few.

Two really good clerics are mother of runes and beloved chaplain (both rares and might be expensive). Another would be edgewalker.

Good luck,

Nylan

PS: Search on the gatherer at the M:tG website to get ideas for other good clerics.
What's the rules for the standard format?

Went to the card shop today, and managed to dig up the following:

4 x Unmake
1 x Battletide Alchemist
3 x Dragon Shadow
3 x Evil eye of the Urbog
1 x Cage of Hands
2 x Curtain of light
2 x Fear
2 x Lance
1 x Kitsune Healer
2 x Infernal Kirin
1 x Kiyomaro, First to stand.

For tomorrow's meet, I've configured my deck like so:

12 Plains
8 Swamp

1 Mana
Misery Charm x 2

2 Mana
Battlefield Medic
Daru Spiritualist
Vicious Hunger
Disciple of Malice
Disciple of Grace x 2

3 Mana
Whipgrass Entangler x 2
Cage of Hands x 2
Cabal Archon
Soltari Visionary x 2
Zealous Inquisitor
Waking Nightmare
Ghostly Prison

4 Mana
Valor
Teroh's Faithful
Profane Prayers x 2
Doubtless One x 3
Akroma's Devoted
Vile Deacon x 2

5 Mana
Celestial Gatekeeper

6 Mana
Noble Templar

7 Mana
Silver Seraph

X Mana
Decree of Justice

Sleeper's guile
dragon shadow x 2
unmake x 2
Chainer, dementia master
kiyomaro, first to stand
battletide alchemist

Is this deck legal, and how competitive would I be?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home