Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread! - Page 37

post #541 of 777

So there're a perfect fit huh? 

post #542 of 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

So there're a perfect fit huh? 

Oh, perfect might be a stretch. Speaking of stretching.......

 

 

But my ears do not touch the drivers. And I have pretty wide ears. 

post #543 of 777

Also, anyone enjoy any particular amp combos for these cans?

post #544 of 777

AD2Ks in the house.  Playing them on my Burson 160D at the moment in the low gain SE out.  Trying to figure out if I want them re cabled or not.  My other amps B22. M^3, CK2III are all balanced.  

 

I can always use an adapter to play them on the 160D - I guess.

 

Thinking about getting a MHM (Millet Hybrid Maxed) amp made. 

 

What tubes amp sound good with these?

 

post #545 of 777

Asr has repeated many times that he found no difference on the AD2000 when recabled, or even recabled to balanced. FWIW.

 

-Daniel

post #546 of 777

^^

 

That's not the point nor is it the question

 

 

 

 

If you read this thread you would see I already had that conversation.  The point here is listing to these on my other amps.

post #547 of 777

It may not benefit but it would make sense if most of the amps owned are balanced. 

 

On another note I picked up the AD2000 off my stand for the first time yesterday in months and the clamp it had when I first bought them no longer was there. It's much more comfortable than when I first got it. It won't get much head time next to the HD800 but every once in a while it is a nice change. I like mine straight out the Anedio D1 or with the V200 amp.

post #548 of 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

It may not benefit but it would make sense if most of the amps owned are balanced. 

 

On another note I picked up the AD2000 off my stand for the first time yesterday in months and the clamp it had when I first bought them no longer was there. It's much more comfortable than when I first got it. It won't get much head time next to the HD800 but every once in a while it is a nice change. I like mine straight out the Anedio D1 or with the V200 amp.

 

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat for amps. My top amps are balanced, so I'm thinking about it, just to use those amps. 

 

I agree with the quality of these. They don't beat out my HE-6, but at the $500 price point they're selling for on the forums, I think they're a pretty solid buy. 

post #549 of 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat for amps. My top amps are balanced, so I'm thinking about it, just to use those amps. 

 

I agree with the quality of these. They don't beat out my HE-6, but at the $500 price point they're selling for on the forums, I think they're a pretty solid buy. 

 

I got mine for $700 new - from Japan.  Got here in 5 days flat.  I was first worried then when they got here I was impressed.

 

I know the HE-6 is a hard headphone to beat out when the rig is right.

 

How about your other headphones - where do they stack up?

post #550 of 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

I got mine for $700 new - from Japan.  Got here in 5 days flat.  I was first worried then when they got here I was impressed.

 

I know the HE-6 is a hard headphone to beat out when the rig is right.

 

How about your other headphones - where do they stack up?

 

The HE-6 is a terribly hard can to beat. I've played with so many different amps, and they really sing now.

 

In terms of cans that stick in my memory because of their good price/performance, I'd place it here (purely based on sound quality):

 

 

DT880/DT990
K701/K702/Q701
K601
Denon D2000
Sony MA900
AKG K501
Sony SA5000
Denon D7000
Hifiman HE-5
Audio Technica AD2000 
LCD-2
Hifiman HE-6

 

 

I finally made that in excel. There was a lot of juggling :) 

 

The AD2000 and Hifiman HE-5 are very close. On one hand the HE-5 have wonderful clarity, and are slightly faster (due to ortho), and are extremely clear on the top end.

 

The D2000 are very forgiving. The clarity on the top end isn't as much, but there isn't any hint of sibilance. Bass can get really really low on these cans as well, which just doesn't happen with the HE-5. It's also not as fast as the HE-5, but still very fast for a dynamic. Overall, the AD2000 are just easy to listen to. I don't need to change songs all the time because of a poor recording, but they still make it all sound great.

 

I think the AD2000 is probably my favorite dynamic can to listen to, and for enjoyable listening, I'd pick it over the HD800


Edited by elwappo99 - 9/8/12 at 11:07am
post #551 of 777

I've been thinking of getting these for atleast a few years. I usually buy right away, not sure why I've kept holding off on these. Anyways, ordered a pair finally from accessoryjack.

post #552 of 777

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy them.  

post #553 of 777

Where in your collection do you place them? SQ-wise.

post #554 of 777

I'll do my top five in both technicalities and enjoyable.     Disclaimer:  All in my humble opinion and changes from time to time.

 

Technicality list:

HE-6

HD800

Paradox (sleeper)

AD2K

T1

 

Enjoyable list:

HE-6

HD-650

AD2K

LCD-2.2

1840

 

 

Honorable Mentions:

Q701 (Good all rounder)

Denon 7000 / Edition 8s (enjoyable)

BMF (Technical) 

Mad Dogs (enjoyable)

post #555 of 777

*****Some Eye Candy*****

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!