Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread! - Page 15

post #211 of 776

What did you stuff the pads with? I used black silicon tubing, 5/16" I think.

post #212 of 776

Foam, never measured but roughly enough to get the drivers to stop touching my ears.

post #213 of 776

ATH-AD2000 heading my way. :D I'll try them with the Auditor for now and see how I like them compared to my T1. If I like them enough I will be picking up some sort of Dynalo based amp. Awesome!

post #214 of 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnirai View Post

I'm also completely unable to actually enjoy my music from them. Meanwhile, the AD2000 just throws the music in my face, tells me to stop thinking about "micro-detail, soundstage space, roll-off, decay, frequency response blah bzzt" and start bobbing my head to music. I like that. I haven't heard the 800s out of mind-blowingly expensive tube amps though, I heard that helps things along.



This is the most important thing to remember about the Ad2000.

post #215 of 776

AD2000s just arrived at my doorstep! Been listening for about 30 minutes and so far I like what I'm hearing. atsmile.gif

post #216 of 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by manveru View Post

AD2000s just arrived at my doorstep! Been listening for about 30 minutes and so far I like what I'm hearing. atsmile.gif



Please post your impressions. And comparisons if you have any other hifi headphones. :D

 

My AD2000 will be here tomorrow. I only have the T1 to compare it to. Other headphones I would have to go by memory.

post #217 of 776

Still adjusting to the sound, but I think my initial like is evolving into love! I'll do some quick A/Bing with the HE-300 before I ship them off and write some impressions when I get back from lunch and the UPS store.

post #218 of 776
Once you are in love with it, you will never get away again!
post #219 of 776

Well, its been more than a week, and I still am not tired of these. These are the best cans in my rotation (they should be for the price heh) but finding them to cover my favourite genres great. (electronica, acoustic/folk, synthpop)

 

I'm so happy I got the chance to grab these ^__^

post #220 of 776

I honestly have not found one genre they don't sound great with. That's not to say others don't sound better for them, but I'm enjoying Miles Davis, Radiohead and Sara Bareilles on these just to name a few.

post #221 of 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by keanex View Post

I honestly have not found one genre they don't sound great with. That's not to say others don't sound better for them, but I'm enjoying Miles Davis, Radiohead and Sara Bareilles on these just to name a few.


Mm radiohead is fantastic. Anything where the vocals haven't had much processing applied to them is fantastic, as the AD2000 really brings out the nuances in intonation and breath in the studio space.

 

post #222 of 776

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

I'm so happy I got the chance to grab these ^__^


Ditto. Laura Marling's voice is currently melting my brain.

 

 

Impressions for ZenErik:

 

I could stand just a bit more bass (sub bass specifically), but I wouldn't call it deficient and the overall sound sound is so good it's not bothering me. It goes virtually as deep as the HE-300 did and I can hear all the notes with nice impact too, it's just not as powerful. This is fine though, because while the HE-300 bass could be very fun, I always felt it was too much and veiling the highs a bit. Speaking of which, I think the AD2000 treble is just about perfect in quantity for me. Any more would be too much. It can render cymbals a tad too sparkly/shimmery to be realistic imo, but not in an unenjoyable way or one that I couldn't probably fix with a low pass filter if I felt so inclined. My feelings about the mids are captured in the statement at the beginning of this post. Definitely a step up in clarity and resolution, but what's impressing me the most is the lack of grain relative to my previous phones. Individual instruments sound like they have more spaciousness between them, but the overall soundstage is smaller than the HE-300, about as wide as the HM5, maybe slightly wider. I really need to do a lot more listening to get a handle on everything of course. Coming from T1s your experience will probably be a little different. tongue.gif

post #223 of 776

Hmm, my ears touching the drivers does start to bother me a little after a while. I've tried phat padding without success using some strips of cloth from an old sweater. (I experimented with different materials in ADxxx pads when I used to have A700s and found the cloth to give the best isolation/bass, though maybe I should go back and try others again.) Anyone ever tried W1000(x) pads on these, or know pads from other brands that fit? This looks especially epic. eek.gif

post #224 of 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by manveru View Post

Hmm, my ears touching the drivers does start to bother me a little after a while. I've tried phat padding without success using some strips of cloth from an old sweater. (I experimented with different materials in ADxxx pads when I used to have A700s and found the cloth to give the best isolation/bass, though maybe I should go back and try others again.) Anyone ever tried W1000(x) pads on these, or know pads from other brands that fit? This looks especially epic. eek.gif


I usually get a problem after a few hours, but I don't really mind. I suspect phat padding will alter the sound somewhat, though I'm interested to see what padding to angle the drivers will do.

post #225 of 776

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

I usually get a problem after a few hours, but I don't really mind. I suspect phat padding will alter the sound somewhat, though I'm interested to see what padding to angle the drivers will do.


Yeah, it's not too bad. I could get through the length of an album or two ok, but it's certainly not helping. When I tried the padding just now, it decreased bass and increased treble, which is a no go for me :/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!