Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club - Page 27

post #391 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdling View Post

Please don't recable such a pristine set.  They'll lose quite a bit of value and the stock R10 cable feels pretty awesome anyways.  You can use it in your studio if you want, just be really careful with them since the wooden cups can get scratched or chipped.  These are my favorite dynamic headphones, nothing quite like them.  Enjoy :)

 

If you plan to keep it for a long time like I do, you will have to get it re-terminate (not re-cabled!!) with a balanced connector.  The R10 will always sound best in a balanced mode.  The improvement from stock to balanced is very noticeable and is at least 20%.  I kept my 9.5+/10 condition R10 in stock form for over 5 years, but finally broke down and get the cable re-wired with 4-pin XLR and never look back.  smily_headphones1.gif

post #392 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcanadian View Post

Im so excited guys! I just got my first r10! I just got ricently married. I move to japan when I was18 looking to make a living with
Music. Gotucky and I work as music composer I am 26 by the way. Any ways my wife's uncle was an executive in Sony in the 80s and 90s and has 4 r 10 since he was in the board that a prove the reaserch and manufactoring of them. And as a wedding gift gave me a never used pair!. 2 of them he uses the other one have never been open!
The other not open will go to his son. No my issue I have never had high first headphones. Just studio headphones. So what equipment and amps should I get. I know nothing of headphones amps and the world of high first. Please help thanks guys!

sell the bloody thing and get a real headphone.

 

 

edit: someone mentioned to me this was unkind of me to say..let me explain my reasons. Assuming you are not stymied by sentimental reasons , that R10 is NOS, you can sell it for a grip of money given what crappy falling off to bits R10 pairs go for. 

No warranty.

 

And in my opinion (am told am in a tiny minority) but the R10 is not worth anything over 500$ in my book. There are far better headphones out that. BUt hey, if its your beat, its your beat. 

 

FWIW..ignore me, delete this post, whatever. Oh and congrats on getting hitched. all down hill from here.. :P


Edited by sachu - 2/18/13 at 10:14am
post #393 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu View Post

sell the bloody thing and get a real headphone.

 

 

edit: someone mentioned to me this was unkind of me to say..let me explain my reasons. Assuming you are not stymied by sentimental reasons , that R10 is NOS, you can sell it for a grip of money given what crappy falling off to bits R10 pairs go for. 

No warranty.

 

And in my opinion (am told am in a tiny minority) but the R10 is not worth anything over 500$ in my book. There are far better headphones out that. BUt hey, if its your beat, its your beat. 

 

FWIW..ignore me, delete this post, whatever. Oh and congrats on getting hitched. all down hill from here.. :P

 

Are you having a bad weekend there Sachu?

post #394 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu View Post

sell the bloody thing and get a real headphone.

 

 

edit: someone mentioned to me this was unkind of me to say..let me explain my reasons. Assuming you are not stymied by sentimental reasons , that R10 is NOS, you can sell it for a grip of money given what crappy falling off to bits R10 pairs go for. 

No warranty.

 

And in my opinion (am told am in a tiny minority) but the R10 is not worth anything over 500$ in my book. There are far better headphones out that. BUt hey, if its your beat, its your beat. 

 

FWIW..ignore me, delete this post, whatever. Oh and congrats on getting hitched. all down hill from here.. :P

Even if I did not like them. I would still keep them. They were a wedding gift from my wife's uncle. I really don't care for money even if I can sale them for good money, the fact that was a wedding gift is enough for me to keep them.

post #395 of 466

We seriously need to start planning for a spring meet. Mtcanadian needs to realize the value of the gift he was received and get a feel of how it ranks among the sr009/BHSE and other Omega 2mk1/KGSSHV, and many other totl rigs the Tokyo team owns. The stat amps are not ready quite yet, but there's hope ;).

 

arnaud

post #396 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post

We seriously need to start planning for a spring meet. Mtcanadian needs to realize the value of the gift he was received and get a feel of how it ranks among the sr009/BHSE and other Omega 2mk1/KGSSHV, and many other totl rigs the Tokyo team owns. The stat amps are not ready quite yet, but there's hope ;).

 

arnaud

That would be cool. As I have said before I did not know the world of High-fi was in this massive way. I have never had high-fi headphones or even consider it since the only headphones I used are mainly in the studio so all I use are the one I used for my work as a composer or to monitor when recording guitar solos for pop artists. I have 4 pairs of mdr cd900 and for commute I used to use a xb500 I had since 08 and now I use a zx700. So the R 10 has brought me to this high-fi world. I would like to learn more about it. P.S. the R 10 I got has NEVR been used before. they where in storage for over 12 years. 

post #397 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

 

If you plan to keep it for a long time like I do, you will have to get it re-terminate (not re-cabled!!) with a balanced connector.  The R10 will always sound best in a balanced mode.  The improvement from stock to balanced is very noticeable and is at least 20%.  I kept my 9.5+/10 condition R10 in stock form for over 5 years, but finally broke down and get the cable re-wired with 4-pin XLR and never look back.  smily_headphones1.gif

 

Yeah I am planing on keeping them for a long time. By the way I tryed them at my friends place and OMG !!!! I was in tears on how pure and beautiful the music was! I was listening to some classical, jazz and visual-kei and WOW!

post #398 of 466

I am still at my friends place and he is also auditioning them with his rig at the moment. He has never seen on of this in person before :p. It early in the morning here and I can see we will be here for hours.

post #399 of 466

By the way where in tokyo would you guys meet? I live in Shinjuku.

post #400 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcanadian View Post

 

Yeah I am planing on keeping them for a long time. By the way I tryed them at my friends place and OMG !!!! I was in tears on how pure and beautiful the music was! I was listening to some classical, jazz and visual-kei and WOW!

Glad you are enjoying them.  If you own a near NOS pair, the R10 will sing a beautiful music for a long time.  Most people who dislike the R10 often auditioned them in less than ideal setup.  IMO, they are near Sennheiser Orpheus system in terms of performance, of course with the right amp.

post #401 of 466

All this R10 talk really makes me want to setup the Menace and listen to them.

post #402 of 466

What are Sennheiser Orpheus?

post #403 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcanadian View Post

What are Sennheiser Orpheus?
You don't want to know. evil_smiley.gif
Edited by Maxvla - 2/18/13 at 9:27pm
post #404 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcanadian View Post

What are Sennheiser Orpheus?

King Crab

If you ever get a pair you will have to pry the ladies off. And since you don't want to upset your wife you will have to give them to me :-)
Edited by snaps11 - 2/18/13 at 9:57pm
post #405 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps11 View Post


King Crab

If you ever get a pair you will have to pry the ladies off. And since you don't want to upset your wife you will have to give them to me :-)

Hahaha. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club