Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › I want to have faith in Ray Samuels Audio... but I just don't
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I want to have faith in Ray Samuels Audio... but I just don't - Page 4

post #46 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by malldian View Post
So he disservices the community and himself to do what? Sorry to see him go and I enjoyed his posts but that seems childish.
I disagree. There was a purpose behind it, and I'm pretty sure I understand it. He is doing what he thinks is right, even if its not the answer everyone wanted. Kudos to that.
post #47 of 267
Asr has moved on to a better place.
post #48 of 267
EDIT: aaron beat me to it.
post #49 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron313 View Post
Asr has moved on to a better place.
Thats putting it lightly
post #50 of 267
Thread Starter 
Well, I go to bed for the night, log back in the next day, and am greeted by PMs about how my thread was deleted It certainly seems a drama-laden topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by recstar24

Final thoughts - I only know of one manufacturer who is so fanatical about having no hiss whatsoever, and that is Justin from headamp. With his gear you should be able to take some IEM's, plug it in with the highest gain setting, pump up the volume, with no source connected, and it will be dead silent. But if your source has a lot of inherent thermal noise which a lot of digital players do, justin's perfectionism won't really help, and you still might get the tiniest bit of hiss at the very top level.

One thing I have learned is that if you are listening for hiss, trust me, you can find it. There comes a point where you are actuall listening for hiss rather than listening to music. There have been times when I first received my shiny new amp, and instead of popping some tunes, I max out the volume pot and see if there is any "hiss" present. Then I get all pissed, try to change tubes, change outlets, use cheater plugs, pray to shiva, mow the lawn, and I still cannot remove the "hiss." I could have been listening to pretty good music during those hours, but I chose to focus on something that doesn't impede on musical enjoyment or the normal listening operation of the unit in question.
Hm, how to explain this. Increases in the resolving ability of my equipment is enjoyable to me. Each upgrade I make strives to meet two criteria - maintain musicality, and increase resolution. And by resolution, I dont just mean in the fields of microdetail or speed, but also of frequency response across the spectrum.

When critically listening to a track, I'm dissecting the music, breaking it down into its components, assessing how each element interacts with the whole picture, weighing dynamics, layering, soundstaging, transient response, bass depth, midrange timbre, and so on. Only after I've "looked" at the track with a microscope and found nothing wanting, do I relax and enjoy. You may call this the "wrong" way to appreciate music, but to that I say: to each their own. My enjoyment in this hobby comes from that discerning approach, and upgrading my listening experience so that I get progressively closer to finding nothing wanting.

Hiss, hum, or any form of power supply/signal distortion immediately throws a spanner in those works. Once i detect it, I cannot ignore it, and it ruins the experience for me. This is why I was so disheartened with my Raptor after reading all the rave reviews about its blackground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akabeth
I was about this close {-} to clicking the trigger finger and sending payment for my Raptor about a week ago and held back.

I won't expand on this unless necessary.
Entirely your call, but I would like to know your reasoning, provided it isnt any negative feelings/thoughts of Ray Samuels the man. I'd like to reiterate that this thread was not started with any intent to disparage Ray, and I have only respect and admiration for the man. However the technical merits of his designs I would like to question, in the persuit of knowledge of what it is we're buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr
Well you saw yourself this thread get deleted. I saw it altered last night within its first 30 minutes, witnessing 3 posts get deleted. Why? I don't know. However silly your assumption may have been, it was and became true on both counts.

I do know that every action has a reaction, and I've reacted in a way that I think will be best for all involved.

This is my last post on Head-Fi.
Say it isnt so Asr!

You will be missed. I've greatly enjoyed your reviews, posts and oppinions. I can understand how you might be dismayed, burnt-out, or aggravated by some of the goings-on around here, but I would urge you not to deprive the community of your insight as a result.
post #51 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama View Post
I disagree. There was a purpose behind it, and I'm pretty sure I understand it. He is doing what he thinks is right, even if its not the answer everyone wanted. Kudos to that.
Care to enlighten?
post #52 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
When critically listening to a track, I'm dissecting the music, breaking it down into its components, assessing how each element interacts with the whole picture, weighing dynamics, layering, soundstaging, transient response, bass depth, midrange timbre, and so on. Only after I've "looked" at the track with a microscope and found nothing wanting, do I relax and enjoy. You may call this the "wrong" way to appreciate music, but to that I say: to each their own. My enjoyment in this hobby comes from that discerning approach, and upgrading my listening experience so that I get progressively closer to finding nothing wanting.
Dare I say that you will never be happy, regardless of the manufacturer in question. Reading over that old Raptor thread reminded me of that whole situation. Your expectations of certain types of gear are out of order, as has been posted by others & imo. And, knowing this about yourself, should never take any person's review (professional or amateur) so much to heart.

Some people are searching so hard for the next "thing" to make their system sound perfect. Some people are hoping so hard that the person writing that next review will know something or have heard something so magical, they want to believe every last nuance & accolade. I learned a long time ago to not put so much trust in others' opinions that I forget rational thought.
post #53 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelg View Post
Some people are hoping so hard that the person writing that next review will know something or have heard something so magical, they want to believe every last nuance & accolade. I learned a long time ago to not put so much trust in others' opinions that I forget rational thought.
Quote material.
post #54 of 267
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelg View Post
Dare I say that you will never be happy, regardless of the manufacturer in question.
Not true. I am happy with my Pico, it has performed beyond my expectations of it. But that's neither here nor there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelg
And, knowing this about yourself, should never take any person's review (professional or amateur) so much to heart.

Some people are searching so hard for the next "thing" to make their system sound perfect. Some people are hoping so hard that the person writing that next review will know something or have heard something so magical, they want to believe every last nuance & accolade. I learned a long time ago to not put so much trust in others' opinions that I forget rational thought.
I learned this lesson as well. But at the time of investing into RSA I was new to the hobby, had not had the chance to hear much first-hand, and somewhat naive. I figured, if numerous people with no direct affiliation with the manufacturer were saying the same thing, it had to be true. Who was I to know otherwise?
post #55 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

This is my last post on Head-Fi.
mm.. not good..
post #56 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by malldian View Post
Care to enlighten?
Not publicly
post #57 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
I learned this lesson as well. But at the time of investing into RSA I was new to the hobby, had not had the chance to hear much first-hand, and somewhat naive. I figured, if numerous people with no direct affiliation with the manufacturer were saying the same thing, it had to be true. Who was I to know otherwise?
Then what exactly is the point of this thread? First you cite your old problem thread on the Raptor where you were misled by positive reviews to purchase one. Then you cite multiple threads on another amp where people have posted negative impressions. Are you questioning those reviews because they are negative? I don't get it.

What outcome to you see happening here? Is it to disparage a manufacturers entire line of gear, as well as his design capabilities, based on you not liking one particular amp in the line three years ago, and some negative posts on one other amp that you have not heard? You are taking isolated instances & coming to an incorrect broad conclusion, imo.

Believe a review or not. Buy the amp or not. Like a manufacturer or not. Move on. Post your own reviews.
post #58 of 267
I have several RSA products, I like the way they sound, and have only had one problem ever, and Ray took care of it personally over the phone by next day air mailing me a brand new unit, never had another problem since and keep in mind my HR-2 is multiple years old, as well as my sr71 and hornet, and all WELL used.

If you don't like em don't buy them, but how many other companies are there that you send money to and don't even get anything!! He always answers the phone, fixes his customer issues and I don't think it's cool to post something negative about someone that is kind of your own personal issue. If you would have let him he could have got the problem resolved for you, and it could have been any number of things.

People dog on RSA sometimes, but I love the house sound and have always been so well taken care of with such a personal touch. This meaning I have never had to threaten legal recourse to get him to send me the product in the first place, like so many other companies I'm sure you prefer.
post #59 of 267
Thread Starter 
Quote:
What outcome to you see happening here? Is it to disparage a manufacturers entire line of gear, as well as his design capabilities, based on you not liking one particular amp in the line three years ago, and some negative posts on one other amp that you have not heard? You are taking isolated instances & coming to an incorrect broad conclusion, imo.
This thread was intended to either lay to rest, or vindicate the various negative oppinions on RSA amp build quality that have arisen on these forums. I am looking for a sharing of knowledge and personal experience, to help guide myself and any other prospective RSA customers to the right decision.

Never did I make a conclusion that "All RSA products are bad". However this may be true. Or it may not. That is what I am attempting to acertain.

Quote:
Believe a review or not. Buy the amp or not. Like a manufacturer or not. Move on. Post your own reviews.
I do post my own reviews, wherever possible. However being in Sydney makes hearing before buying quite a bit more difficult, as none of the major manufacturers that cater to our niche hobby are based here. So I do my best to get accurate information through the only means I have available: Head-Fi.
post #60 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
"All RSA products are bad". However this may be true. Or it may not. That is what I am attempting to acertain.
So you expect a response that you will believe enough to satisfy you? From a site where past reviews have already not matched up to your actual experience?

There is nothing positive, nor conclusive that could possibly come from this thread.

I suggest you try someone else's amps to find the sound you like, and then tell us all about it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › I want to have faith in Ray Samuels Audio... but I just don't