Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread! - Page 264

post #3946 of 4321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifisnubben View Post

According to Lawton's homepage ( they had some d5000 cups for sale 2013 ) the following text are displayed - PLEASE NOTE: The stock Denon woodies will NOT natively fit a D2000! Only our Custom Wood Chambers will natively fit your D2000. We do not install these cups on the D2000, nor do we provide instructions for doing so.

I guess the answer is no. Then again, getting spare cups is probably not a easy task to begin with.

The key word there is natively. They will fit. They just need some tweaking and some slight trimming/sanding etc on the inside. You can tell if you look up Tyll's article on the DX000 series in which he took the entire headphones apart. The hook mechanism that attaches the D2000 cups and the D5000/D7000 cups are slightly different and you can visually see that in Tyll's pictures. They will fit just fine and perfectly in terms of size and dimensional integrity. Getting them locked into place is just tricky that's all. 

post #3947 of 4321

I just scanned this, but I believe it is instructions for replacing D2000 cups with D7000 cups.  It probably is the same with D5000 cups.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/502070/how-to-create-a-d2000-woody-on-a-budget-56k-warning

post #3948 of 4321

It's probably just easier if you chop the plastic stands off. At least that is what I did. Works with D5000 cups.

 

edit: just noticed that it's the second post in that thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/502070/how-to-create-a-d2000-woody-on-a-budget-56k-warning#post_6779140


Edited by namaiki - 7/20/14 at 6:31pm
post #3949 of 4321
How is the o2 amp with the d2000? I have an e17 but I might use it as a DAC and get the o2. I heard the d2000 scales well. Will I benefit with the o2?
post #3950 of 4321
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckavelli View Post

How is the o2 amp with the d2000? I have an e17 but I might use it as a DAC and get the o2. I heard the d2000 scales well. Will I benefit with the o2?

 

I had the ODAC/O2 combo, and I found the highs to be a little harsh when pairing it with my D2000. Not sure if that was the fault of the amp. I sold it in favor of trying a warmer sounding amp. 

 

The ODAC/O2 is very clear though. If clarity is the number one concern, I think it's a very nice unit. Very flat and neutral too.

post #3951 of 4321
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckavelli View Post

How is the o2 amp with the d2000? I have an e17 but I might use it as a DAC and get the o2. I heard the d2000 scales well. Will I benefit with the o2?

 I enjoy the O2 amp with my Lawton-tuned D5000.  The standard configuration is to have a 2.5x and 6.5x gain with the O2 amp.  I opened it up and clipped out the resistors on the 6.5x path, so now my O2 has 0 gain or 2.5x gain.  I typically feed the O2 amp with the 2 Vrms line level signal and I've never had a reason to use any gain with the O2 amp.

 

Also, my O2 amp is using a 16V 400mA power supply over the standard shipped 12V 200mA version.  It's probably overkill, but even the designer suggests that this upgrade for power-hungry headphones.  The Denon's can take a huge amount of power (1.8W), despite being rather easy to drive.  I also use this amp at times with a pair of Mr. Speaker Mad Dogs (3.2 version), which needs a bit more power than the Denon's.  Both headphones sound great at low to mid-level volumes.  I rarely listen at louder levels, so I can't really comment on the performance characteristics when jamming at loud levels. (>90-95 dB)

post #3952 of 4321

Hey guys!

So I have this half-dead AH-D2000 on my shelf, just collecting dust. It was my daily headphone for years, and I neglected it pretty badly in terms of wear&tear. The cable is shot, the earpads are absolutely worn out and icky, and the headband is taking it's last breaths. Also one of the earcups has a small piece missing, but it's from the outer shell. Inner shell is intact so I don't think it should be a huge deal sonically. AFAIK the drivers are in great condition. So:

 

1) I have a HD600 cable around somewhere, could I solder that onto the headphones without perceived loss in quality? If not, what _budget_ cable would you recommend?

2) I can't seem to find replacement earpads for these from anywhere, any optional earpads that would fit that don't cost an arm and a leg? I live in Finland, so huge plus for european reseller/seller. 

3) I plan on getting the headband from beyer DT880 pro if it fits, yay or nay?

4) Any additional thoughts/input, thanks!

 

 

Cheers for reading, looking forward to hearing your inputs :)

 

M

post #3953 of 4321

Hey!

 

I can't answer all your questions, but I will do what I can:

 

1) You can do this and it should be fine.  The stock cable is just really thin OFC.

2) Stock pads can be found here: http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page13.html

3) I am fairly certain that the padding strap from the Beyer pro headphones will wrap around the Denon headband, not sure if you mean to replace the entire assembly.  I've never done this myself though, only read about it.

 

I am certain that there have been cheaper pads mentioned within the last few pages of this thread that would fit.  I hope someone else can chime in and help you out more on #2 and #3!

post #3954 of 4321
Quote:
Originally Posted by haejuk View Post
 

Hey!

 

I can't answer all your questions, but I will do what I can:

 

1) You can do this and it should be fine.  The stock cable is just really thin OFC.

2) Stock pads can be found here: http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page13.html

3) I am fairly certain that the padding strap from the Beyer pro headphones will wrap around the Denon headband, not sure if you mean to replace the entire assembly.  I've never done this myself though, only read about it.

 

I am certain that there have been cheaper pads mentioned within the last few pages of this thread that would fit.  I hope someone else can chime in and help you out more on #2 and #3!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushion-AH-D2000-D5000-D7000-D-2000-5000-7000-Headphone-/261349307920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item8271bf2aa6

post #3955 of 4321
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckavelli View Post

How is the o2 amp with the d2000? I have an e17 but I might use it as a DAC and get the o2. I heard the d2000 scales well. Will I benefit with the o2?


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post

 

I found the highs to be a little harsh when pairing it with my D2000. 

 

im currently using an O2 to power my d2k and would easily recommend the combo, i think it sounds great and have no issues with the highs - and i count myself pretty sensitive to treble.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonitus mirus View Post

16V 400mA version.  It's probably overkill



 

lol, mine is 18V 1A. i asked for what you have, and he gave me this one saying it costs the same, talk about redundant overkill :tongue_smile: 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by instabusto View Post


 

2) I can't seem to find replacement earpads for these from anywhere, any optional earpads that would fit that don't cost an arm and a leg? I live in Finland, so huge plus for european reseller/seller.

not european, but the mrspeakers pads are a great fit, and are quite popular around DX000 users beside myself

 

post #3956 of 4321

^ The reason I found the highs a little harsh with the o2 might have been that I was using the 02/ODAC combo. Maybe the O2 with a different DAC (slightly warmer) would have been worth trying.

post #3957 of 4321

The ODAC should be audibly transparent, and it was specifically designed and tested to be.  Most modern DACs are, unless they are not working correctly.  You can't make something more transparent, with regards to human hearing.  I would not expect a different DAC to change the sound characteristics.  If the highs are a little harsh to you, it probably would be with any DAC playing the same source.  Probably, but not definitely.  

post #3958 of 4321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post

^ The reason I found the highs a little harsh with the o2 might have been that I was using the 02/ODAC combo. Maybe the O2 with a different DAC (slightly warmer) would have been worth trying.

That's what I'm gonna be doing e17 DAC with o2 amp.
post #3959 of 4321
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonitus mirus View Post

 

The ODAC should be audibly transparent, and it was specifically designed and tested to be.  Most modern DACs are, unless they are not working correctly.  You can't make something more transparent, with regards to human hearing.  I would not expect a different DAC to change the sound characteristics.  If the highs are a little harsh to you, it probably would be with any DAC playing the same source.  Probably, but not definitely.


what he said XD i am infact using an Odac-O2 combo.... as they say - YMMV

post #3960 of 4321
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonitus mirus View Post
 

The ODAC should be audibly transparent, and it was specifically designed and tested to be.  Most modern DACs are, unless they are not working correctly.  You can't make something more transparent, with regards to human hearing.  I would not expect a different DAC to change the sound characteristics.  If the highs are a little harsh to you, it probably would be with any DAC playing the same source.  Probably, but not definitely.  

 

 

Indeed. But others have said (across the web) that a DAC such as the MS Streamer II might be warmer sounding.

 

I'll see myself, I have them both ordered and on the way. 

 

It is my thoughts that it was probably the O2 AMP part of the combo unit that was causing problems for me, as I prefer a warmer sounding amp than completely flat. Of course, the pairing with the headphone you use matter. Most of my headphones are rather bright, and bright amps with bright headphones is a big no-no to my ears.

 

I think something like the ODAC is a great piece of equipment to own, to get the cleanest most transparent signal you can delivered to your amp of choice. Then, just tweak the sound with an amp that you like (warmer/brighter/tube-ier).

 

Some people will like that amp to be the O2, but not all. Not everyone wants that perfectly transparent/flat sounding amp.


Edited by TWerk - 8/1/14 at 7:31pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!