or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread! - Page 191

post #2851 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

Now that I received my D2000 back from Martin Custom Audio with new deeper than stock COCOBOLO Rosewood cups, thought I'd post a pic next to their brethren.

^^^^^ Stunning!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

How did the J$money sound with the Denons? I just sold mine off... and honestly I'd rather have Lawton or Alpha's imo 

 

Alpha's might come before any of the work does 

 

 

TBH, for me, FA-003 pads work perfectly on my D5000.

post #2852 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoo View Post
 

Are the leather alpha pads in stock? I keep checking the website but it says out of stock. I have the stock denon pads and the LA pads, want to try the alpha's for compsrison

 

Not sure if the website is reliable.  Best to just send a PM to Dan to be sure.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/666284/mrspeakers-mad-dog-impressions-and-discussion-thread/1890#post_9906965

post #2853 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

How did the J$money sound with the Denons? I just sold mine off... and honestly I'd rather have Lawton or Alpha's imo 

 

Alpha's might come before any of the work does 

 

J$ pads were pricey and the quality was inconsistent from everything I read and researched about them.  Mine were great with the D5000.  Nice angle, great comfort, and relatively good seal.  They started to become a bit stiff over time, and the stitching started to come apart on one of them.  I had an extra set of Alpha pads available, which I had tried before, and now that I am quite familiar with these, I think I like them better all around.

post #2854 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonitus mirus View Post

Not sure if the website is reliable.  Best to just send a PM to Dan to be sure.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/666284/mrspeakers-mad-dog-impressions-and-discussion-thread/1890#post_9906965

They are in stock. Just ordered a pair. biggrin.gif
post #2855 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post

^^^^^ Stunning!


TBH, for me, FA-003 pads work perfectly on my D5000.

Where do you get the FA-003 pads and cost?
post #2856 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

I've got a buyer for me HE 400 SEt so I think I might be grapping a pair of Denons soon biggrin.gif so let's talk MODS

Pads. where should I start for tighter bass and maybe a smidge less mids and more treble, I have J$ but they might be getting sold... 

Adtionally, how much improvement do we see on a D2k with Dampend D7k Cups over the stock cups? I saw the D2k according to graphs has a very nice almost linear bass extenision, Nice sub bass on that unit. WHere as the D5 and D7 have a bit of a hump... that said what benifits do D5 and or D7 cups bring to the D2k 

Mod talk - tighter bass - Lawton mods takes away the flabby, boomy bass and solves it. It was amazing to me the difference when I sent him my stock D7000 and it came back amazing. I had Mark put his angle pads on them at the same time but to be honest I think Alpha pads are overall better.

Damping - the Lawton mods are generally not done on the cups now when they are wood as he feels the natural tone woods handle the damping. I'd guess a D5000 cup on a D2000 would improve things a bit. I went from Lawton modded D2000 cups to Martin Custom Audio COCOBOLO Rosewood cups (with NO cup damping but still has the damping on the driver) and think the bass got deeper without any boominess. I am a believer in wood cups from my personal experience with my Denons.
post #2857 of 4945

Came with my FA003, but you can get them from Fischer distributors for like $20-$30.

post #2858 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


Mod talk - tighter bass - Lawton mods takes away the flabby, boomy bass and solves it. It was amazing to me the difference when I sent him my stock D7000 and it came back amazing. I had Mark put his angle pads on them at the same time but to be honest I think Alpha pads are overall better.

Damping - the Lawton mods are generally not done on the cups now when they are wood as he feels the natural tone woods handle the damping. I'd guess a D5000 cup on a D2000 would improve things a bit. I went from Lawton modded D2000 cups to Martin Custom Audio COCOBOLO Rosewood cups (with NO cup damping but still has the damping on the driver) and think the bass got deeper without any boominess. I am a believer in wood cups from my personal experience with my Denons.

Yea I'm getting a D2k with D7k modded Cups, So IF I like it next step is Alpha Pads. Then maybe a new wood back 

post #2859 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

Yea I'm getting a D2k with D7k modded Cups, So IF I like it next step is Alpha Pads. Then maybe a new wood back 

 

D7k modded cups? The standard D7k cups with Lawton treatment?

post #2860 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

 

D7k modded cups? The standard D7k cups with Lawton treatment?

Yea, a D2k with D7k Cups with the Lawton Treatment on the cups only 

 

Hoping to sell me HE 400 n the next 2 days so I can have a little cash left from the purchase of the D2 with D7k Modded Cups I can use said cash to snatch a pair of Alpha Pads from Dan! 


Edited by Mshenay - 11/6/13 at 2:50am
post #2861 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

Yea, a D2k with D7k Cups with the Lawton Treatment on the cups only 

 

Should sound great, sounds pretty similar to my setup. I always wanted to crazy/awesome wood cups, but could never justify the price.

post #2862 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

 

Should sound great, sounds pretty similar to my setup. I always wanted to crazy/awesome wood cups, but could never justify the price.

Well I can justify the price. It's just a matter of when... I would honestly Like to remove the dampening from the Wood and apply it to the driver... but that's not going to be too possible. Should still get some of that nice wood tone  though. Pad and Cable swaps soon as well. I might when I get it recabled get new cups and a re tune of it as well! Just to hear the differance 

post #2863 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Yea I'm getting a D2k with D7k modded Cups, So IF I like it next step is Alpha Pads. Then maybe a new wood back 

Congrats bud! beerchug.gif
post #2864 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


Congrats bud! beerchug.gif

Thanks, Orgeion you think they'd sound better with dapmened Drivers and un dampend Wood Back Cups? While we are on the subject 

post #2865 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

Now that I received my D2000 back from Martin Custom Audio with new deeper than stock COCOBOLO Rosewood cups, thought I'd post a pic next to their brethren.

 

 

Sorry, to quote this again, but how much did it cost? Also, how long did it take?

 

And lastly, does the weight have much of an impact? Comfort is great on my D5k, I would hate to sacrifice it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!