Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread! - Page 186

post #2776 of 4377
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonFox View Post


Thanks a lot bro I'll check them out asap!! The leather headband I have on these are all kinds of jacked up so finding replacement would be fantastic! 

Alpha Pads are what $100? Well if you ever run into an extra pair please let me know!

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

They are $59.

By the way, what are your plans for the D2000? Doing the Lawton mods? Worth it - after hearing a before and after on my D7000 I was sold. Cup change? wink.gif
post #2777 of 4377

I always have wanted to do the cup change.. But the prices are so high for it. Every time I convince myself to do it, I always weigh up the cost to benefit ratio, and end up buying new gear with the money instead..

 

Yet my D5000 sit there with stock cups.. 

post #2778 of 4377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonFox View Post


Thanks a lot bro I'll check them out asap!! The leather headband I have on these are all kinds of jacked up so finding replacement would be fantastic! 

Alpha Pads are what $100? Well if you ever run into an extra pair please let me know!

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

They are $59.

By the way, what are your plans for the D2000? Doing the Lawton mods? Worth it - after hearing a before and after on my D7000 I was sold. Cup change? wink.gif

Really now!? Sign me up!! For the price I paid for them I definitely plan on doing some mods. Now sure which ones yet but I definitely want a new headband, new pads, and not sure what else. I still haven't listened to the stock ones because I've been trying to clear them of the smoke smell they had when they arrived. Wasn't very happy about that at all but I'll deal.


Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif
post #2779 of 4377
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post

I always have wanted to do the cup change.. But the prices are so high for it. Every time I convince myself to do it, I always weigh up the cost to benefit ratio, and end up buying new gear with the money instead..

 

Yet my D5000 sit there with stock cups.. 


Just my input but the D5000 cup being wood isn't a big enough get to change cups.  My D2000 however, being plastic, I hope will be worth it beyond the stunning visual change.  Since luthiers use wood in most instrument applications, I'm optimistic the sound improves. 

post #2780 of 4377

D7000 cable is indentical to the D5000, just the outside of it is more flexible. The componentry that effects sound is the same.
It seems like not a lot of people have heard D2K/D5K with Moon Audio or APS cables. A few with D2K recabled, but that's nothing to base a D5K upgrade off of when the D2K cable is so terrible.
Argh, what to do!

myzV
Edited by casideveln - 9/3/13 at 9:51am
post #2781 of 4377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonFox View Post


Thanks a lot bro I'll check them out asap!! The leather headband I have on these are all kinds of jacked up so finding replacement would be fantastic! 

Alpha Pads are what $100? Well if you ever run into an extra pair please let me know!

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

They are $59.

By the way, what are your plans for the D2000? Doing the Lawton mods? Worth it - after hearing a before and after on my D7000 I was sold. Cup change? wink.gif

 

 

Oh, I remembered why I thought they were $100. The Angle pads from Lawton Audio are $100. Anyone hear both and have an opinion on which is best? 

 

 

Thanks,

 

 

evil_smiley.gif

post #2782 of 4377
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonFox View Post

 

 

Oh, I remembered why I thought they were $100. The Angle pads from Lawton Audio are $100. Anyone hear both and have an opinion on which is best? 

 

 

Thanks,

 

 

evil_smiley.gif


I have them both.  Lawton angles on my D7000, Alpha's on my D2000's (and Q40 and Pro900).  I'd say the Alpha are more comfy but hard to say which sound better since they are different cans.  I like Alpha's (duh) and will say for $40 less they are worth it. 

post #2783 of 4377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonFox View Post
 

 

 

Oh, I remembered why I thought they were $100. The Angle pads from Lawton Audio are $100. Anyone hear both and have an opinion on which is best? 

 

 

Thanks,

 

 

evil_smiley.gif


I have them both.  Lawton angles on my D7000, Alpha's on my D2000's (and Q40 and Pro900).  I'd say the Alpha are more comfy but hard to say which sound better since they are different cans.  I like Alpha's (duh) and will say for $40 less they are worth it. 

 

I love the look of the Alpha and I spoke to Mr Speakers himself and he told me that they will be back in stock next month!

 

 

Thanks,

 

 

:evil:


Edited by DemonFox - 9/4/13 at 10:19am
post #2784 of 4377
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonFox View Post
 

 

I love the look of the Alpha and I spoke to Mr Speakers himself and he told me that they will be back in stock next month


DX000 owners, rejoice! 

post #2785 of 4377

The Alpha pads are ok with my D5000, but they are a bit too large.  Also, they put my ears further away from the driver, and since my Denon's have the Lawton tuning which already tames the bass quite a bit, the overall sound is quite different with the bass having a reduced quantity.  You will lose some bass slam using the Alpha pad.  Everyone has different ears, but to me the Alpha pads put mine too far away from the driver to get the most out of my Denons.  

post #2786 of 4377
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonitus mirus View Post
 

The Alpha pads are ok with my D5000, but they are a bit too large.  Also, they put my ears further away from the driver, and since my Denon's have the Lawton tuning which already tames the bass quite a bit, the overall sound is quite different with the bass having a reduced quantity.  You will lose some bass slam using the Alpha pad.  Everyone has different ears, but to me the Alpha pads put mine too far away from the driver to get the most out of my Denons.  

My D2000 with Alpha's actually seemed to INCREASE the bass slam vs stock.  Probably because the seal improves with the Alpha's. 

 

Anyway, when you say they are a bit too large, do you mean too large to fit?  Too large for your ears? 

post #2787 of 4377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 

My D2000 with Alpha's actually seemed to INCREASE the bass slam vs stock.  Probably because the seal improves with the Alpha's.

 

Anyway, when you say they are a bit too large, do you mean too large to fit?  Too large for your ears?

 

To my ears, the Lawton angle pads reduced the bass of my D2000's.  Not a lot, but enough to notice.  Much as I would like some new pads on my D7000's, as well as some cool new wood cups, I am afraid to change anything from stock (other than the cable - had them rec-abled with Moon Black Dragon wire); they sound so good right now, I'm afraid doing any of these mods will take something away from the sound quality.

post #2788 of 4377

The fit was a bit too large, but just by a little.

 

You can see it clearly in this photo from a few pages back:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/350721/denon-d2000-d5000-md2000-md5000-appreciation-thread/2715#post_9517709

 

I have the original J$ angled pads, and I keep my head shaved or trimmed with very short hair, so I get a great seal with any pads, for the most part.

post #2789 of 4377

I've always heard mixed response about Bass with the Alpha pads on the Dx000. I can't figure it out - it seems to be very binary. Some say it increases, due to a proper seal, others say it decreases, due to distance. 

post #2790 of 4377

Hi, I've got a question. Is the Denon D5000 any good for metal metal music? Does it have hard rocking factor? I'm looking at it second hand as an alternative to the Hifiman HE-400 because I'm worried about its comfort. 

 

Sorry if this is a dumb question. 

 

Thanks. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!