Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread! - Page 136

post #2026 of 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

OMG!

D2K's + wooden D5k cups - done.

This looks so sexy.

 

SQ wise:

-bass has tightened up a lil - better rumble YUMMY!

-sound more "open" - I guess that's the difference between the wood vs plastic cups

-lil more sparkle

-bit too sharp in then highs - might need to tone these down

 

I'm IN LOVE - just by looking at it.

And what was the cost?

$50 and some drilling for 10mins (experimenting and all)

 

I bought the d5k cups mainly/only for the look.

And now they have brought a little different SQ

 

Overall I'm very happy. They look to DIE FOR!

 

DSC02965.JPG   

 

DSC02966.JPG


Where did you buy the cups? ThAts a steal!!!
post #2027 of 4370

tdunks,

 

I suggest you call electronic expo, some time back I got D2K for 200$ from them. I was looking for open box, which was not listed that time on there site, they offered new one for open box price.

 

call them and ask for open box,

post #2028 of 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by qohelet View Post

Where did you buy the cups? ThAts a steal!!!

I got it from lawton audio, before, when they were out of stock :)

Now they have gone up to $79, if I'm not mistaken.
 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Were your D2000 cups damped before?

Nop

 

I'm comparing STOCK D2K cups vs DAMPENED D5K mahogany cups.

 

 

I also can relate to the D5K's now being bassy.

Without ZO2 even....hard to imagine.

I can now understand/relate to the graphs perfectly.

D2K's are less bassier than the D5Ks, and as the only difference between stock d5k and d2k is cable and cup (cup being the biggest difference) - I can see why the d5k's have a higher bump in the lows.

 

The new cups literally sound like the graphs are portraying (ironically enough)

 

graphCompare.png


Edited by Totally Dubbed - 4/16/12 at 12:06pm
post #2029 of 4370

Finished writing up my guide - quite happy with the results :)

 

Took some Chimp shots!

(update my DP)

 

DSC02976.JPG  DSC02977.JPG  DSC02979.JPG

post #2030 of 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep1923 View Post

Thank you for your answer. I want a suitable DAC for 50% games and 50% music and movies. My budget max 200 (im from europe)
 

My narrower choices:


Yulong u100
Aune MK2 (I)
Aune X1
FiiO E17
FiiO E10
FiiO E7 + E9

Yulongs delivery takes two weeks from China :( Aune too.

 

I attach great importance to neutrality. But its known that the Denon headphones are a bit bass-heavy. That's why I'm confused. Aune -> low bass..

Battlefield 3 with no bass at exploding tanks? No thanks ^^


I am not sure why you are having trouble with the Aune, I guess not all gear matches perfectly.  I drove my Denons with a Fiio E7 for over a year with a giant smile on my face, again most of the difference came from the dac portion of the e7 than the amp, but the amp is nice too because of its very low output impedance.  Adding an E9 introduces a higher output impedance but, overall, better sound quality.

 

I have not heard the E17 but reading around it here it seems to be a better dac and more powerful amp than the E7.  The other benefit to buying Fiio is that the product looks fantastic.

 

I am interesting in hearing an Aune Mk2, it is hard to imagine the Denons without their glorious bass

 

post #2031 of 4370

I am running my Denons on a Meier Arietta, 0 output impedance just like the E7, E17; but desktop version and more powerful.

 

Sweet :)

post #2032 of 4370

So I just bit the bullet and bought the D5000 and Fiio E11 as my first real setup (have turbine pros now). Had to have em shipped to my uncles place in the US and then shipped here by him. They should be here wednesday and i cant wait!

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qohelet View Post


I dont know how much your budget is but electronic expo had it for 399 for quite a while now. That's the lowest price ive seen it go recently.

I did see that price but being in canada the shipping and the customs charges are insane.


Edited by tdunks - 4/18/12 at 10:24pm
post #2033 of 4370

I received my brandy new D5000's today and I am impressed.  They are a nice alternative to my AKG's and they really are as comfortable as I've read.  All in all I couldn't be happier.  I ordered them on Monday from Electronics Expo and received them today.  They've handled everything I've thrown at them (genre wise) and really stood out with Dream Theater's "Bridge in the Sky" (off of A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Rodrigo y Gabriela's cover of "Orion" (off their self titled album).  I haven't skipped a song yet (shuffling my entire library).  I think I might throw a blu-ray in next.  The soundstage is impressive for what is supposed to be a closed can (I can hear myself type in between songs).  The lack of isolation/leakage doesn't bother me in the least, just confirming what others have said.  I knew what to expect and wasn't shocked.  The more I listen to these, the happier I am.  They sound great and look great as well.  I think these just put the final nail in the coffin for IEM's (at home) for me.  Now I just need to fight the urge to upgrade to the LCD-2's or HE-500's!!!  Wish me luck biggrin.gif


Edited by JoeyRusso - 4/19/12 at 4:09pm
post #2034 of 4370

 

Quote:

So I just bit the bullet and bought the D5000 and Fiio E11 as my first real setup (have turbine pros now). Had to have em shipped to my uncles place in the US and then shipped here by him. They should be here wednesday and i cant wait!

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qohelet View Post


I dont know how much your budget is but electronic expo had it for 399 for quite a while now. That's the lowest price ive seen it go recently.

I did see that price but being in canada the shipping and the customs charges are insane.

maybe the d5k price is low these days, but i don't think there is a better choice under 700$ than the d5k. it is really that good, i drove them with fiio e6 and

the sound is fantastic and they do scale up very well with desktop amps.but i thought you should know the burn-in period is absolutely required for them,

you won't believe how these can be very smooth and detailed after 300 hours, i remember when i first got them they were muddled and harsh. after i gave them

a proper burn-in with rock songs (flac) they opened up and became very smooth, the bass is tight and a bit boomy. FYI, d5k has more bass than d2k, and more

forward mids and smooth highs with more refined treble, though, they share the same driver !!


Edited by MEDO - 4/20/12 at 10:56am
post #2035 of 4370

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyRusso View Post

I received my brandy new D5000's today and I am impressed.  They are a nice alternative to my AKG's and they really are as comfortable as I've read.  All in all I couldn't be happier.  I ordered them on Monday from Electronics Expo and received them today.  They've handled everything I've thrown at them (genre wise) and really stood out with Dream Theater's "Bridge in the Sky" (off of A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Rodrigo y Gabriela's cover of "Orion" (off their self titled album).  I haven't skipped a song yet (shuffling my entire library).  I think I might throw a blu-ray in next.  The soundstage is impressive for what is supposed to be a closed can (I can hear myself type in between songs).  The lack of isolation/leakage doesn't bother me in the least, just confirming what others have said.  I knew what to expect and wasn't shocked.  The more I listen to these, the happier I am.  They sound great and look great as well.  I think these just put the final nail in the coffin for IEM's (at home) for me.  Now I just need to fight the urge to upgrade to the LCD-2's or HE-500's!!!  Wish me luck biggrin.gif

 

too bad that i couldn't fight it and ordered the Audeze LCD-2 with the new bamboo cups, but i plan to keep the d5k and will never sell them, they are very special to me

 

good luck

post #2036 of 4370
post #2037 of 4370

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrAdrian View Post

I am running my Denons on a Meier Arietta, 0 output impedance just like the E7, E17; but desktop version and more powerful.

 

Sweet :)

 

I am running my D2000s out of a Meier Arietta too.  I picked mine up a couple weeks ago in the used forum.  It sounds a lot cleaner than my old E9.  If any Denon owner can find one used it is a deal that should NOT be passed up unless you have a better amp!  My LDI+ hardly gets any run time since my Arietta showed up.  I've got Lawton Audio angle pads on the way and considering the custom wood cups and MAYBE a re-cable.  Not very interested in damping the bass as I kind of like it how it is.

post #2038 of 4370
post #2039 of 4370

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by haejuk View Post

 

 

I am running my D2000s out of a Meier Arietta too.  I picked mine up a couple weeks ago in the used forum.  It sounds a lot cleaner than my old E9.  If any Denon owner can find one used it is a deal that should NOT be passed up unless you have a better amp!  My LDI+ hardly gets any run time since my Arietta showed up.  I've got Lawton Audio angle pads on the way and considering the custom wood cups and MAYBE a re-cable.  Not very interested in damping the bass as I kind of like it how it is.

 

I got it for its low low low output impedance, so I can use every headphone/iem on them.  And they well worth what I paid :)

post #2040 of 4370

I just accidentally found out that if I plug my D2000 straight to my LOD attached to my 6th gen iPod I still get sound! The only difference from connecting it to the HP out is that I can't control the volume. 

 

What is also strange is that when listening to my iPod through the LOD I get about the same volume as I do when using 70% of the volume when plugged in via the HP out. But when I connect my iPod to an external amp using mini to mini I have to turn the volume to 100% to get matching volumes with and without the LOD.

 

I thought that by using a LOD one would bypass the Ipods internal amp completely and only use it as a DAC. But it appears that it isn't so since I can hear music by connecting straight to my LOD without having to use an external amp at all...

 

Does this sound strange to you or was it just me who thought that the sole purpose of using LODs was to bypass the iPods amp?

 

BTW, the LOD I'm using is a cheapish one bought on ebay similar to this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhone-iPod-LOD-Line-Out-Dock-To-3-5mm-Mini-Jack-/270734942584?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f090f6178#ht_3644wt_902.

 

Cheers.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!