Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread! - Page 183

post #2731 of 4044

Really enjoying my Denon D2000s. The entire gimble mechanism on the right ear cup came apart though. Before (last summer), just the screw came lose, and I screwed it back in after finding a small enough 'drill bit precision tool' - cheap 50 cents - to fit in it, I tightened the screw in the left earcup too. Now, the cap at the top of the gimble, the little silver cap that exists at the top of the gimble, and at both ends where the earcup attaches to the bracket. It's like the whole thing came apart.

I am considering Loc-Tite-ing it in place, at a decent angle - after I Loc-Tite it, it won't be able to swivel anymore =(. I can still listen to them, and am listening to them now through my iBasso D4 Mamba, but now it's even MORE precarious than when it was put together with just a loose screw before. So, I probably can't dance with them. =(

 

Has anyone tried the new Denon AH-D1100s? I see they are going for $199 on Amazon, and am considering buying them for a decent-sounding (I trust the company) backup pair of headphones in case these turn out weird. Anyone know of any headphone that sounds the same - pronounced bass, candy-sounding, good highs, good for pop, rock, hip hop - that may be another company? In the 200-300 dollar range, closed-ear headphone.

 

I am currently shopping for a new one.

 

Thanks, ~K


Edited by kelvanE - 7/2/13 at 3:39pm
post #2732 of 4044
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvanE View Post

Really enjoying my Denon D2000s. The entire gimble mechanism on the right ear cup came apart though. Before (last summer), just the screw came lose, and I screwed it back in after finding a small enough 'drill bit precision tool' - cheap 50 cents - to fit in it, I tightened the screw in the left earcup too. Now, the cap at the top of the gimble, the little silver cap that exists at the top of the gimble, and at both ends where the earcup attaches to the bracket. It's like the whole thing came apart.


I am considering Loc-Tite-ing it in place, at a decent angle - after I Loc-Tite it, it won't be able to swivel anymore =(. I can still listen to them, and am listening to them now through my iBasso D4 Mamba, but now it's even MORE precarious than when it was put together with just a loose screw before. So, I probably can't dance with them. =(

Has anyone tried the new Denon AH-D1100s? I see they are going for $199 on Amazon, and am considering buying them for a decent-sounding (I trust the company) backup pair of headphones in case these turn out weird. Anyone know of any headphone that sounds the same - pronounced bass, candy-sounding, good highs, good for pop, rock, hip hop - that may be another company? In the 200-300 dollar range, closed-ear headphone.

I am currently shopping for a new one.

Thanks, ~K

How about the Denon D600 since you like Denon? I have the D2000, D7000 and D600, love them all, and you can find the D600 for $250ish . I just looked for you on Amazon, and sure enough there are used for $252 right now. The D600 you CAN dance in. Built like a tank.
Edited by Oregonian - 7/2/13 at 5:53pm
post #2733 of 4044
Skip on the d1100, I though it was a mess when I got it back then for $120. The bass is mostly mid bass that punch hard but bleeds into the mids and combine with the warm mids they sound slightly muffed. I would choose the Mdr-1r over the d1100. I do own the d2000 and I don't think they project anything alike.
post #2734 of 4044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

How about the Denon D600 since you like Denon? I have the D2000, D7000 and D600, love them all, and you can find the D600 for $250ish

How does it compare to the D2000?

I know the answer probably lies somewhere in this thread, but it's quite lengthy.
post #2735 of 4044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

How about the Denon D600 since you like Denon? I have the D2000, D7000 and D600, love them all, and you can find the D600 for $250ish

How does it compare to the D2000?

I know the answer probably lies somewhere in this thread, but it's quite lengthy.
post #2736 of 4044
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensy View Post

How does it compare to the D2000?

I know the answer probably lies somewhere in this thread, but it's quite lengthy.

Very comparable to me.

Great bass, amazing pads, good isolation, V- shaped, etc.

A much better solution for portability vs the D2K. Built like a tank, unlike the D2K.
post #2737 of 4044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

Built like a tank, unlike the D2K.

VERY interesting to note - that was my only complaint about my D5k - they feel fragile.

(Any idea how to delete posts?)
post #2738 of 4044
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensy View Post

VERY interesting to note - that was my only complaint about my D5k - they feel fragile.

(Any idea how to delete posts?)

Don't think you can. All you can do is edit the repeat verbiage but not a big deal..

Yes, the early Denons built by Fostex are weak, and the new Fostex Th600 and TH900 still have the same issues. Hard to believe they could not solve it but that's manufacturing. I live it so understand its not as easy as it looks to fix things with a flawed design.

The new Denon is built solid.
post #2739 of 4044

I tried googling but cant seem to find a small enough screwdriver to screw back in Denon D2000's screw into the cup. I would appreciate it if anybody knows a place where I could purchase it online at a reasonable price($10-$20) 


Edited by Tranman409 - 7/4/13 at 2:20am
post #2740 of 4044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranman409 View Post

I tried googling but cant seem to find a small enough screwdriver to screw back in Denon D2000's screw into the cup. I would appreciate it


You'll probably need a set of jeweler's/watchmaker's screwdrivers, one of those is likely to fit.

post #2741 of 4044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranman409 View Post

I tried googling but cant seem to find a small enough screwdriver to screw back in Denon D2000's screw into the cup. I would appreciate it if anybody knows a place where I could purchase it online at a reasonable price($10-$20) 

I have a cheap set of those eyeglass repair kit screwdrivers that fit perfectly. I'm sure you could get them. Do you have a Harbor Freight tool store? If not go online.
post #2742 of 4044

The left cup of my D5000s have developed a crackling sound whenever the headphones are moved. When I grab the headphones and shake them lightly I can hear a very distinct crackle noise. Any ideas on how to fix this?

 

I'm going to have to take them apart aren't I :(

 

I really don't want to do this

post #2743 of 4044

Anyone know where to get new pads for the D2000? I know Lawton audio sells a replacement set for $45 but if they're the same vinyl pads as the stock ones I'd rather skip them because the vinyl is probably going to flake off just like my current set. Also the headband vinyl is flaking off but it doesnt seem like anyone sells a replacement headband. I love the sound but my headphones are starting to look pretty sad.

post #2744 of 4044
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanderson View Post

Anyone know where to get new pads for the D2000? I know Lawton audio sells a replacement set for $45 but if they're the same vinyl pads as the stock ones I'd rather skip them because the vinyl is probably going to flake off just like my current set. Also the headband vinyl is flaking off but it doesnt seem like anyone sells a replacement headband. I love the sound but my headphones are starting to look pretty sad.

How long have you had them i had my d-5000 for a couple years and the head band still looks great but for the rest i had the ear pads and wood cups changed at Lawton Audio along with there mod while they where there as i bought the headphones so i couldnt say about the ear pads mine are new .

post #2745 of 4044

I've had mines for at least 5-6 years, still stock pads and stock headband. I actually found a post in this thread about replaceable pads here:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/350721/denon-d2000-d5000-md2000-md5000-appreciation-thread/2700#post_9514607

 

And for the headband theres not a direct replacement but here is the one someone pointed me to a while ago:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Leatherette-Universal-Sennheiser-Beyerdynamic/dp/B00862522A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343073082&sr=8-1&keywords=Headband+pad

 

 

As for the flaking it started about 2-3 years ago. During that time the only options for replacement pads were the $89 oem ones from the manufacturer. J$ pads were discontinued. Right now I'm just trying to find the pad that keeps most of the original sound.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread!