Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread! - Page 174

post #2596 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by barid View Post

I also had a lot of trouble removing the pads on mine.  I watched a few youtube videos showing them twisting off rather easily....

 

Hours later with no luck....I pulled the pad off around the white plastic piece they are mounted on.  Then used a screwdriver to unlatch the circular white plastic piece.  After that it was easy enough to mount the new pads on and re-attached by twisting them back into place.  That took all of 5-10 minutes.  I don't know why, but mine wouldn't twist off normally the first time, they were latched in very tightly.

 



Hold cup in one hand, firmly press the palm of another hand against the pad and twist.

post #2597 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

 



Hold cup in one hand, firmly press the palm of another hand against the pad and twist.


Oh i know, i saw a few people doing it easily.  My pair of D5000's...was a little rougher.

post #2598 of 4013

Just got Angle Pads from Lawton Audio. The change is quite noticeable, more than effect from dampening alone.

These are impressions on already modded with dynamat D5000:

- As far as I can tell mids are not scooped anymore

- Bass even tighter and has very pronounced "texture" in it,

- More air between notes, they sound more spacious

- Definitely more pronounced treble, the welcome change for me as I've found D5K treble quite shy to begin with, not the case anymore.

 

Wow, I am really starting liking these phones. L3000.gif


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 2/14/13 at 7:01pm
post #2599 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

Just got Angle Pads from Lawton Audio. The change is quite noticeable, more than effect from dampening alone.

These are impressions on already modded with dynamat D5000:

- As far as I can tell mids are not scooped anymore

- Bass even tighter and has very pronounced "texture" in it,

- More air between notes, they sound more spacious

- Definitely more pronounced treble, the welcome change for me as I've found D5K treble quite shy to begin with, not the case anymore.

 

Wow, I am really starting liking these phones. L3000.gif

Id agree with all of this, but im not sure about the bass texture. Just havent listened for it I suppose. 

post #2600 of 4013

Treble shy wtf... You must have ear drums of steel.

post #2601 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdeisel View Post

Id agree with all of this, but im not sure about the bass texture. Just havent listened for it I suppose. 


As you lower the bass bloom the more texture in it gets revealed.

post #2602 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

Treble shy wtf... You must have ear drums of steel.


Are you comparing to D2000?

D5000 treble is the most relaxed out of all Fostex/Denon line. It was quite tame and bland on my pair.


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 2/14/13 at 9:03pm
post #2603 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

I've been told the Mr Speaker Mad Dogs is quite close to the Denon sound.

 

I find my Denon D5000 quite different from the Mad Dog with Alpha Pads. Denon bass a lot more in quantity, but the Mad Dog seems to be more tight and clear. The Mad Dog is also more dark sounding. I really miss the quantity of the bass though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaheadlin View Post

Quick question are the ear pads hard to remove? I followed Markl's way and slid my hands under the earpads and twisted it counter-clockwise, but still couldn't get it to come out. On the web it said it should've relatively easy.

 

Secondly, are the ear pads suppose to rotate freely? I can rotated mine 360 degrees with ease.

 

Does anyone know the answer to the second question?

post #2604 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaheadlin View Post

I find my Denon D5000 quite different from the Mad Dog with Alpha Pads. Denon bass a lot more in quantity, but the Mad Dog seems to be more tight and clear. The Mad Dog is also more dark sounding. I really miss the quantity of the bass though.


Does anyone know the answer to the second question?

Aside from the greater quantity if bass with the D5000's would you say the Mad Dogs with alpha pads are overall better than the D5000's? Ive been told that the Mad Dogs easily compete with the Hifiman HE400's..
post #2605 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaheadlin View Post

 

I find my Denon D5000 quite different from the Mad Dog with Alpha Pads. Denon bass a lot more in quantity, but the Mad Dog seems to be more tight and clear. The Mad Dog is also more dark sounding. I really miss the quantity of the bass though.

 

 

Does anyone know the answer to the second question?

Yes, the pads freely rotate on O-Ring.

 

Stock Denon has quite unbalanced signature with too much emphasis on low end. Mad Dogs are flatter and combined with a cheaper price are definitely a greater value. Stock to stock they also sound better.

But with modded D5K with angle pads I am not so sure. I'd choose them over MD when I need more zing and beat, plus MD even with Alpha pads still sound quite closed in in comparison, and orthos can be plain boring at times. bigsmile_face.gif

post #2606 of 4013

Aside from the quantity of bass, the Mad Dogs with Alphas are superior to the D5000 in my opinion.  Also, the treble on the D5000 is often described as being sparkly.  I'm not sure what that means, but the D5000 is brighter (but not sibilant to my ears) than the Mad Dogs, but with the Alpha pads, the difference does not appear to be as drastic as it once was with earlier iterations of the MD.

 

I would highly recommend the Mad Dogs to anyone, while I might not do the same for the D5000, depending on their music preferences.  There is no downside to the Mad Dogs, other than possibly the weight and its potential use in portable setups.  I think nearly everyone would love the sound from the Mad Dogs with Alphas.   Flat and smooth signature with no dominant/recessed frequencies.  When you add pricing into the mix, it is not even a contest between the Mad Dogs and D5000.

post #2607 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post


Are you comparing to D2000?

D5000 treble is the most relaxed out of all Fostex/Denon line. It was quite tame and bland on my pair.

 

This makes me want to try some D5000, I loved the D2000 sound but the treble was too sibilant and the midrange was too recessed.... Sounds like the D5000 may fix both of these issues to some extent.

post #2608 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

This makes me want to try some D5000, I loved the D2000 sound but the treble was too sibilant and the midrange was too recessed.... Sounds like the D5000 may fix both of these issues to some extent.

I haven't listened to a D2000 yet, but the treble and recessed mids are still rather noticeable (though, slightly less so after modding), so it might not be that big of a difference. According to these measurements though, the D5000's seem to have about the same amount of treble as the D2000's, so it's probably just the added mids/bass that makes them sound a bit more 'relaxed':


post #2609 of 4013

I never go by graphs, So basically the D1001 is a baby 5000 at about (Now price) $500 cheaper??

Graphs don't tell the whole story!!!

 

post #2610 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicman74 View Post

I never go by graphs, So basically the D1001 is a baby 5000 at about (Now price) $500 cheaper??

Graphs don't tell the whole story!!!

 

Sure, there are plenty of things graphs don't demonstrate, such as imaging/soundstage/detail/texture/etc, but in the domain of Frequency Responses, it'd be silly to dismiss them. Especially since that's what the OP was clearly talking about (i.e. "treble was too sibilant", "midrange was too recessed"). It's totally cool if you like to test headphones 'blind', but it's a fallacy to dissuade others from using graphs just because they're missing some bits (despite presenting what they do have reasonably well rolleyes.gif).

Anyways, back on topic...


Edited by oblique63 - 2/16/13 at 5:01am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread!