Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread! - Page 144

post #2146 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnconync View Post

There seems to be a 2012 model that came out just before they got discontinued with a slightly better/refined sound sound and a few minor changes.

See here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000

Actually, I think Tyll came on here explaining what the whole "new model" deal was about, and if memory serves, it wasn't a new model per definition. Just a newer example of the same model to see if they had changed character over a certain time span. I may very well be wrong, but this is how I remember it. It kind of makes sense though, since earpads wear out, maybe get softer and so on.

post #2147 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

Actually, I think Tyll came on here explaining what the whole "new model" deal was about, and if memory serves, it wasn't a new model per definition. Just a newer example of the same model to see if they had changed character over a certain time span. I may very well be wrong, but this is how I remember it. It kind of makes sense though, since earpads wear out, maybe get softer and so on.


Sounds like the D2000 didn't change, but the other ones did.

post #2148 of 4013
I've compared older Dx000 models to the newer ones and there are other differences. The older units have no damping material, the newer ones do. That combined with the fuller pads make a sizable difference. The good news is, anyone can apply some damping to the inside of their cups and elevate their older pads.


http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page55.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/558782/denon-d2000-d5000-d7000-stock-pad-mod-for-wider-sound-stage

Of course, if you feel nervous you can send them to Lawton and have them done professionally.
post #2149 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

Actually, I think Tyll came on here explaining what the whole "new model" deal was about, and if memory serves, it wasn't a new model per definition. Just a newer example of the same model to see if they had changed character over a certain time span. I may very well be wrong, but this is how I remember it. It kind of makes sense though, since earpads wear out, maybe get softer and so on.


Yeah, it is not a "new model" just minor differences he mentioned to take note of as the sound seemed to have changed a little also (for the better in his thoughts, basically a little bit tighter). I recently got a pair of D5000's that appear to be the latest rendition and really like them quite a bit!

 

The original poster that prompted the response I quoted was asking about differences in the "newer" version and Tyll seemed to notice a difference, perhaps I should have quoted that users text instead and reword my response as I did not really mean model either, sorry for the confusion, just wanted to present the info in Tyll's article. :)

post #2150 of 4013

Just curious as to why they made the 2012 revision if they are getting discontinued.

post #2151 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I've compared older Dx000 models to the newer ones and there are other differences. The older units have no damping material, the newer ones do. That combined with the fuller pads make a sizable difference. The good news is, anyone can apply some damping to the inside of their cups and elevate their older pads.
http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page55.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/558782/denon-d2000-d5000-d7000-stock-pad-mod-for-wider-sound-stage
Of course, if you feel nervous you can send them to Lawton and have them done professionally.

 

Yes... look also for the thread by "Markl" entitled something like "Denon D5000 - The World's Greatest Headphones"... or... something like that - which describes / pictures the mods in great detail (i.e. the application of the Dynamat and Fiberloft to improve their sound).  They're really very simple - and well worth your time and effort to complete.  

 

The only other thing that I found that improved their sound as much... was the MF X-CAN v8 amp.

post #2152 of 4013
post #2153 of 4013

Ugh I finally decided to buy the Denon D5000, but it seems I'm too late. I can't find it at any reputable place for a good price. It's too bad I missed that Electronics-Expo deal, I might have even gotten the D7000's.
 

post #2154 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita View Post

Ugh I finally decided to buy the Denon D5000, but it seems I'm too late. I can't find it at any reputable place for a good price. It's too bad I missed that Electronics-Expo deal, I might have even gotten the D7000's.
 

 



That's why I pulled the trigger when I did, didn't want to miss the boat and then get to where they cost even more since they are harder to get a hold of. I figured, worst case scenario, if I didn't like them, I could sell them! Even Amazon's "used" warehouse deals have gone up $100 in the last week and a half or so...they were close to $390-$430  and last I looked, they are over $500. I found a steal on mine on Amazon at $269 for a display model from Electronics Expo that came in the box and all and I couldn't tell they were ever even used. I'm very happy with that purchase! :)

post #2155 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

Just curious as to why they made the 2012 revision if they are getting discontinued.

Yeah, kind of strange, maybe it happened late 2011, I'm only going  on 2012 from Tyll's writeup, don't know when the revision went into effect. But if it was for the better and you got one, then great!  It's too bad they are discontinuing these headphones though, although I am interested to hear how the new ones sound, I don't care for their looks as much, but maybe it will have to wait for an in person impression.

post #2156 of 4013

Found this very interesting writeup on the new AH-D7100's with listening impressions before during and after burn-in. It also seems to have more info about the new design and all than I have seen other places. They look to be very good yet again and besting the AH-D7000 in this guys opinion. I would love to hear a pair of these eventually.

 

http://yklee118.blogspot.com/2012/06/launch-of-new-denon-ah-d7100.html

post #2157 of 4013

Good read, thanks for posting!
 

post #2158 of 4013

So I'm a bit late to the game with the D2000s. I missed the $210 deal. A refurbished is for $230 on amazon (seller DAHMART), and can get a new one from DIY Micro for $275.

 

I know they're discontinued, so should I pull the trigger now, or wait until another sale? 

post #2159 of 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I've compared older Dx000 models to the newer ones and there are other differences. The older units have no damping material, the newer ones do. That combined with the fuller pads make a sizable difference. The good news is, anyone can apply some damping to the inside of their cups and elevate their older pads.
http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page55.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/558782/denon-d2000-d5000-d7000-stock-pad-mod-for-wider-sound-stage
Of course, if you feel nervous you can send them to Lawton and have them done professionally.

 

So you mean the newer D5k/D7k's are partially MarkL modded?

post #2160 of 4013

Damn it all to hell and back again. I love the Denons. My left earcup finally came loose and fell off (I guess a common problem). Luckily, I located the screw on the bed =D. Okay, what is the right tool I need to screw it back in and where can I buy it?

 

Thanks - kelvanE

 

P.S. Happy listening! =Z

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread!