I just won a K500 off eBay. I am looking forward to giving it a try, especially if its as good as my K400 which has been a pleasure so far. Anyone have experience with using the K500 with tube amps? I am hoping my bottlehead crack is up to the task of driving these.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones for gaming CoD and BF BC2 Last post on 1/13/12 at 6:45am in Headphones (full-size)
- A question about the AKG Sound Last post on 12/6/10 at 6:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- K601 earpads and elastics that fit the K500 - where to buy? Last post on 11/15/10 at 10:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 205-II vs Philips SHP8500/00 vs AKG K 512 vs JVC HA-M750 Last post on 9/9/11 at 8:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- K500 Last post on 9/7/10 at 10:31am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I personally thought these were a lame purchase after i had bought 'em. About a week later i just left my apartment and left them shouting out opeth and other metal with the bass in 4/4 position...
Fiio X3 2nd generation preview Disclaimer: before jumping into the device itself, I have to talk a little bit about myself. I am still an amateur on the subject of sound quality, but I’ll...
They re absoultely amazing I srsly reccomend you buy them listening to songs with them are like hearing the artists in real life its honestly amazing!
As my wife will tell you, at just about every major audio show I attend I buy something (shocker right?). There’s something cool about looking at my pieces of gear and thinking about the show...
So i bought the DT 880 250 Ohm Pro model. I also have KEf m200 in ears, a pair of AKG k450. I owned Audio Technica m30, Sennheiser Momentum on ear and Beyerdynamic dt 770 80 Ohm. The difference is...
AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE! - Page 3post #31 of 598/29/10 at 6:56pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 598/30/10 at 2:57amThread Starterpost #33 of 598/30/10 at 2:01pmpost #34 of 598/30/10 at 2:12pm
Does anyone know the history of the K500/K400, what year they were introduced, original price, initial respone ... I looked around the AKG site but they have very little info aside from the headphone assembly and specs.post #35 of 598/30/10 at 4:54pm
Darkvoice 332 is excellent with the AKG K40x and K50x series.
As for their history, I only found a bit here: http://www.audiocircuit.com/Home-Audio/AKG
It says that K401 and K501 are introduced in 1996.
Not sure about the accuracy, but this links says the K500 was launched in 1992. http://www.audioreview.com/cat/headphones-home-audio/headphones/akg-acoustics/k400/PRD_117743_2750crx.aspx
If that is correct, I would assume that K400 is launched in the same year since K401 and K501 were launched in the same year.post #36 of 5912/14/10 at 9:36am
There are two version, mine is the 1992 version of the first photo: with thw all metal plug.
I lost the adapter, and AKG Italy sent me the newest which is to little to screw in.
As you can see in the PDF Service Paper the old release no longer exist neither as spare part.
A curiosity: the first release cable and adapter are the same of the Denon AHD-D950 :-)
post #37 of 593/22/12 at 1:59pmpost #38 of 593/22/12 at 6:28pm
Sadly, mine have developed and issue with the plug and I have lost sound in the right channel. I'll need to get it re-terminated which was something I've been thinking about doing already perhaps with balanced XRLs...post #39 of 593/27/12 at 2:24pmpost #40 of 5910/10/12 at 8:48pmpost #41 of 5912/27/12 at 6:42am
Hmm now both my K400 and K500 arrived!
I can't tell which one is better... K500 is brighter with more extended highs, while K400 mids is very very sweet... Decisions decisions...post #42 of 5912/31/12 at 12:50amQuote:
I also both the K400 and K500. My experience with owning both cans has lead me to conclude the K400 is a better all-rounder and sounds great with many different genres, and is just more musical of the two. The K500 is still very good and surpasses the K400 for detail/clarity and treble extension.post #43 of 591/19/13 at 1:34amQuote:
When I received a pair of K400 as a present (almost 20 years ago) I immediately ran to the dealer to replace them with the K500 and pay a few extra Deutschmarks. To my ears, the clarity, soundstage, resolution of the K500 were far superior to that of the K400. I never regretted the trade-in and just ordered some replacement earpads. Still my main headphones.post #44 of 591/19/13 at 1:48amQuote:Originally Posted by cip22
When I received a pair of K400 as a present (almost 20 years ago) I immediately ran to the dealer to replace them with the K500 and pay a few extra Deutschmarks. To my ears, the clarity, soundstage, resolution of the K500 were far superior to that of the K400. I never regretted the trade-in and just ordered some replacement earpads. Still my main headphones.
Hmm quite the opposite to what I've done, I actually decided to keep the K400 and sold off the K500 for its mids presentation. Yes I agree with you how clarity, soundstage and resolution all are superior on the K500, but I ultimately preferred less treble for a very very clearn midrange presentation. Because there is so little bass and treble, K400 has all its focus on midrange, and does it fantastically.
That's only my opinion
- AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE!
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 50 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 55 seconds ago
- › End of Life and Sale on Mad Dog and Alpha Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Room feel 1 minute ago
- › Aune B1 Headphone AMP worldwide review tour --Reviewers Wanted! 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 2 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Black by 69Beyer
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by m1ku
- › Monster PowerBeats Sport Headphones by HeadPhones ON
- › ALO Audio - The New Rx by mscott58
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by bodopopa
- › Audiofly AF120 In-Ear Headphones by Woodhouse
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by hakushondaimao
- › Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang by Zennheiser
- › FiiO E17 by Zennheiser
- › Sennheiser RS 130 Wireless Surround Sound Headphones by Tail
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2