I just won a K500 off eBay. I am looking forward to giving it a try, especially if its as good as my K400 which has been a pleasure so far. Anyone have experience with using the K500 with tube amps? I am hoping my bottlehead crack is up to the task of driving these.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones for gaming CoD and BF BC2 Last post on 1/13/12 at 6:45am in Headphones (full-size)
- A question about the AKG Sound Last post on 12/6/10 at 6:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- K601 earpads and elastics that fit the K500 - where to buy? Last post on 11/15/10 at 10:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 205-II vs Philips SHP8500/00 vs AKG K 512 vs JVC HA-M750 Last post on 9/9/11 at 8:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- K500 Last post on 9/7/10 at 10:31am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
My first quality IEM purchase was the Hifiman RE-400 when they first came out. I was used to low end Skullcandy sets at the time, and I really wanted to see what "reference sound" sounded like for...
This is going to be a short review, just letting you know in advance. I listen to mostly contemporary pop, classic rock, as well as a little classical. In my search for a good headphone to use for...
Disclaimer: This unit was part of a tour held by Justin at Headamp.com. As the second in the tour to hear these headphones, it likely was not properly burnt in. I thank Justin for giving me the...
Bought them today for 20€ to use them till i get the bose mie2i and try out how this type of headphone would be like. the sound is okay to watch dvds on you notebook but just muddy if you want...
AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE! - Page 3post #31 of 588/29/10 at 6:56pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 588/30/10 at 2:57amThread Starterpost #33 of 588/30/10 at 2:01pmpost #34 of 588/30/10 at 2:12pm
Does anyone know the history of the K500/K400, what year they were introduced, original price, initial respone ... I looked around the AKG site but they have very little info aside from the headphone assembly and specs.post #35 of 588/30/10 at 4:54pm
Darkvoice 332 is excellent with the AKG K40x and K50x series.
As for their history, I only found a bit here: http://www.audiocircuit.com/Home-Audio/AKG
It says that K401 and K501 are introduced in 1996.
Not sure about the accuracy, but this links says the K500 was launched in 1992. http://www.audioreview.com/cat/headphones-home-audio/headphones/akg-acoustics/k400/PRD_117743_2750crx.aspx
If that is correct, I would assume that K400 is launched in the same year since K401 and K501 were launched in the same year.post #36 of 5812/14/10 at 9:36am
There are two version, mine is the 1992 version of the first photo: with thw all metal plug.
I lost the adapter, and AKG Italy sent me the newest which is to little to screw in.
As you can see in the PDF Service Paper the old release no longer exist neither as spare part.
A curiosity: the first release cable and adapter are the same of the Denon AHD-D950 :-)
post #37 of 583/22/12 at 1:59pmpost #38 of 583/22/12 at 6:28pm
Sadly, mine have developed and issue with the plug and I have lost sound in the right channel. I'll need to get it re-terminated which was something I've been thinking about doing already perhaps with balanced XRLs...post #39 of 583/27/12 at 2:24pmpost #40 of 5810/10/12 at 8:48pmpost #41 of 5812/27/12 at 6:42am
Hmm now both my K400 and K500 arrived!
I can't tell which one is better... K500 is brighter with more extended highs, while K400 mids is very very sweet... Decisions decisions...post #42 of 5812/31/12 at 12:50amQuote:
I also both the K400 and K500. My experience with owning both cans has lead me to conclude the K400 is a better all-rounder and sounds great with many different genres, and is just more musical of the two. The K500 is still very good and surpasses the K400 for detail/clarity and treble extension.post #43 of 581/19/13 at 1:34amQuote:
When I received a pair of K400 as a present (almost 20 years ago) I immediately ran to the dealer to replace them with the K500 and pay a few extra Deutschmarks. To my ears, the clarity, soundstage, resolution of the K500 were far superior to that of the K400. I never regretted the trade-in and just ordered some replacement earpads. Still my main headphones.post #44 of 581/19/13 at 1:48amQuote:Originally Posted by cip22
When I received a pair of K400 as a present (almost 20 years ago) I immediately ran to the dealer to replace them with the K500 and pay a few extra Deutschmarks. To my ears, the clarity, soundstage, resolution of the K500 were far superior to that of the K400. I never regretted the trade-in and just ordered some replacement earpads. Still my main headphones.
Hmm quite the opposite to what I've done, I actually decided to keep the K400 and sold off the K500 for its mids presentation. Yes I agree with you how clarity, soundstage and resolution all are superior on the K500, but I ultimately preferred less treble for a very very clearn midrange presentation. Because there is so little bass and treble, K400 has all its focus on midrange, and does it fantastically.
That's only my opinion
- AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE!
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 31 seconds ago
- › will dac eliminate the buzzing sound? 1 minute ago
- › Buying my first audiophile grade headphones need some help please :) 2 minutes ago
- › The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 5 minutes ago
- › New Grace Design m920 DAC/amp with DSD decoding 5 minutes ago
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone 8 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Crystal Picolino Cable by Effect Audio 12 minutes ago
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)