I just won a K500 off eBay. I am looking forward to giving it a try, especially if its as good as my K400 which has been a pleasure so far. Anyone have experience with using the K500 with tube amps? I am hoping my bottlehead crack is up to the task of driving these.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones for gaming CoD and BF BC2 Last post on 1/13/12 at 6:45am in Headphones (full-size)
- A question about the AKG Sound Last post on 12/6/10 at 6:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- K601 earpads and elastics that fit the K500 - where to buy? Last post on 11/15/10 at 10:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 205-II vs Philips SHP8500/00 vs AKG K 512 vs JVC HA-M750 Last post on 9/9/11 at 8:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- K500 Last post on 9/7/10 at 10:31am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > M-Audio Q40. There isn't much I have to add to other...
My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > SR950. The SR950s are fairly detailed headphones possessing a...
My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > HPH-200. If you are looking for a ~$100 on ear open can that...
First of all, I gave these a 3 star mostly for their price. At about 9 bucks they are about the cheapest headphones around. I mean, who is going to pass up a deal like that. They are dirt cheap and...
Q-audio French Silk Aftermarket Cable for MrSpeakers Alpha Dog INTRODUCTION I have spent a little over two months with the Alpha Dogs and its stock cable. About one month into the journey...
AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE! - Page 3post #31 of 588/29/10 at 6:56pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 588/30/10 at 2:57amThread Starterpost #33 of 588/30/10 at 2:01pmpost #34 of 588/30/10 at 2:12pm
Does anyone know the history of the K500/K400, what year they were introduced, original price, initial respone ... I looked around the AKG site but they have very little info aside from the headphone assembly and specs.post #35 of 588/30/10 at 4:54pm
Darkvoice 332 is excellent with the AKG K40x and K50x series.
As for their history, I only found a bit here: http://www.audiocircuit.com/Home-Audio/AKG
It says that K401 and K501 are introduced in 1996.
Not sure about the accuracy, but this links says the K500 was launched in 1992. http://www.audioreview.com/cat/headphones-home-audio/headphones/akg-acoustics/k400/PRD_117743_2750crx.aspx
If that is correct, I would assume that K400 is launched in the same year since K401 and K501 were launched in the same year.post #36 of 5812/14/10 at 9:36am
There are two version, mine is the 1992 version of the first photo: with thw all metal plug.
I lost the adapter, and AKG Italy sent me the newest which is to little to screw in.
As you can see in the PDF Service Paper the old release no longer exist neither as spare part.
A curiosity: the first release cable and adapter are the same of the Denon AHD-D950 :-)
post #37 of 583/22/12 at 1:59pmpost #38 of 583/22/12 at 6:28pm
Sadly, mine have developed and issue with the plug and I have lost sound in the right channel. I'll need to get it re-terminated which was something I've been thinking about doing already perhaps with balanced XRLs...post #39 of 583/27/12 at 2:24pmpost #40 of 5810/10/12 at 8:48pmpost #41 of 5812/27/12 at 6:42am
Hmm now both my K400 and K500 arrived!
I can't tell which one is better... K500 is brighter with more extended highs, while K400 mids is very very sweet... Decisions decisions...post #42 of 5812/31/12 at 12:50amQuote:
I also both the K400 and K500. My experience with owning both cans has lead me to conclude the K400 is a better all-rounder and sounds great with many different genres, and is just more musical of the two. The K500 is still very good and surpasses the K400 for detail/clarity and treble extension.post #43 of 581/19/13 at 1:34amQuote:
When I received a pair of K400 as a present (almost 20 years ago) I immediately ran to the dealer to replace them with the K500 and pay a few extra Deutschmarks. To my ears, the clarity, soundstage, resolution of the K500 were far superior to that of the K400. I never regretted the trade-in and just ordered some replacement earpads. Still my main headphones.post #44 of 581/19/13 at 1:48amQuote:Originally Posted by cip22
When I received a pair of K400 as a present (almost 20 years ago) I immediately ran to the dealer to replace them with the K500 and pay a few extra Deutschmarks. To my ears, the clarity, soundstage, resolution of the K500 were far superior to that of the K400. I never regretted the trade-in and just ordered some replacement earpads. Still my main headphones.
Hmm quite the opposite to what I've done, I actually decided to keep the K400 and sold off the K500 for its mids presentation. Yes I agree with you how clarity, soundstage and resolution all are superior on the K500, but I ultimately preferred less treble for a very very clearn midrange presentation. Because there is so little bass and treble, K400 has all its focus on midrange, and does it fantastically.
That's only my opinion
- AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Speaker amps for headphones 41 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Where do New Zealanders get their gear from? 3 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 7 minutes ago
- › Help for picking Headphones for around $180 for Rock, Jazz and... 7 minutes ago
- › WTB - TTVJ Slim Amp 8 minutes ago
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by adevriesc
- › Skullcandy INK'D Earbuds (Green) by Bassbanger101
- › Q-Audio French Silk Cable by WNBC
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by boombox589
- › Audio-gd Master 9 Preamp & Headphone amp by staalf
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi