I just won a K500 off eBay. I am looking forward to giving it a try, especially if its as good as my K400 which has been a pleasure so far. Anyone have experience with using the K500 with tube amps? I am hoping my bottlehead crack is up to the task of driving these.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones for gaming CoD and BF BC2 Last post on 1/13/12 at 6:45am in Headphones (full-size)
- A question about the AKG Sound Last post on 12/6/10 at 6:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- K601 earpads and elastics that fit the K500 - where to buy? Last post on 11/15/10 at 10:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 205-II vs Philips SHP8500/00 vs AKG K 512 vs JVC HA-M750 Last post on 9/9/11 at 8:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- K500 Last post on 9/7/10 at 10:31am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
Im probably like you right now, I was once reading reviews a bunch of comments, watching a bunch of videos of what to purchase... and everyone kept suggesting the ATH-M50x, so in a frantic search...
First I'd like to thank Brainwavz for the opportunity to review these. As others did, I received a review pair to keep. It was a very generous gesture. Plenty of people have already posted all the...
Comply foam tip should need no introduction at this point, as it has become a norm for many brand name IEM to include a pair of them. But what we are talking here is something new – or should I say...
AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE! - Page 3post #31 of 588/29/10 at 6:56pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 588/30/10 at 2:57amThread Starterpost #33 of 588/30/10 at 2:01pmpost #34 of 588/30/10 at 2:12pm
Does anyone know the history of the K500/K400, what year they were introduced, original price, initial respone ... I looked around the AKG site but they have very little info aside from the headphone assembly and specs.post #35 of 588/30/10 at 4:54pm
Darkvoice 332 is excellent with the AKG K40x and K50x series.
As for their history, I only found a bit here: http://www.audiocircuit.com/Home-Audio/AKG
It says that K401 and K501 are introduced in 1996.
Not sure about the accuracy, but this links says the K500 was launched in 1992. http://www.audioreview.com/cat/headphones-home-audio/headphones/akg-acoustics/k400/PRD_117743_2750crx.aspx
If that is correct, I would assume that K400 is launched in the same year since K401 and K501 were launched in the same year.post #36 of 5812/14/10 at 9:36am
There are two version, mine is the 1992 version of the first photo: with thw all metal plug.
I lost the adapter, and AKG Italy sent me the newest which is to little to screw in.
As you can see in the PDF Service Paper the old release no longer exist neither as spare part.
A curiosity: the first release cable and adapter are the same of the Denon AHD-D950 :-)
post #37 of 583/22/12 at 1:59pmpost #38 of 583/22/12 at 6:28pm
Sadly, mine have developed and issue with the plug and I have lost sound in the right channel. I'll need to get it re-terminated which was something I've been thinking about doing already perhaps with balanced XRLs...post #39 of 583/27/12 at 2:24pmpost #40 of 5810/10/12 at 8:48pmpost #41 of 5812/27/12 at 6:42am
Hmm now both my K400 and K500 arrived!
I can't tell which one is better... K500 is brighter with more extended highs, while K400 mids is very very sweet... Decisions decisions...post #42 of 5812/31/12 at 12:50amQuote:
I also both the K400 and K500. My experience with owning both cans has lead me to conclude the K400 is a better all-rounder and sounds great with many different genres, and is just more musical of the two. The K500 is still very good and surpasses the K400 for detail/clarity and treble extension.post #43 of 581/19/13 at 1:34amQuote:
When I received a pair of K400 as a present (almost 20 years ago) I immediately ran to the dealer to replace them with the K500 and pay a few extra Deutschmarks. To my ears, the clarity, soundstage, resolution of the K500 were far superior to that of the K400. I never regretted the trade-in and just ordered some replacement earpads. Still my main headphones.post #44 of 581/19/13 at 1:48amQuote:Originally Posted by cip22
When I received a pair of K400 as a present (almost 20 years ago) I immediately ran to the dealer to replace them with the K500 and pay a few extra Deutschmarks. To my ears, the clarity, soundstage, resolution of the K500 were far superior to that of the K400. I never regretted the trade-in and just ordered some replacement earpads. Still my main headphones.
Hmm quite the opposite to what I've done, I actually decided to keep the K400 and sold off the K500 for its mids presentation. Yes I agree with you how clarity, soundstage and resolution all are superior on the K500, but I ultimately preferred less treble for a very very clearn midrange presentation. Because there is so little bass and treble, K400 has all its focus on midrange, and does it fantastically.
That's only my opinion
- AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE!
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 25 seconds ago
- › The NEW WS99/WS77 PG 57.. 54 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp 2 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 2 minutes ago
- › Name our latest soon to be released product from ROCK JAW 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 4 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)