or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Guitar-fi anyone? - Page 50

post #736 of 744

@billybob_jcv 

 

The only thing I would re-stress, which has actually mentioned by the posts above is that I think how a guitar feels to you is more important than how it sounds. You can like the sound of a guitar, but if you don't like how it feels in your hands then you won't play it very often.

 

So if you don't like the feel of the body shape of a Les Paul, IMO don't get one.

post #737 of 744
Thanks to all!

I'm still looking for the right local store - I'm guessing Guitar Center is probably not where I want to be looking for really good help in getting the guitar. I went into a couple of other local places and neither of them seemed to have what I'm looking for. One was very small and appeared to cater to giving lessons (not much selection of guitars) and the other seemed to have mostly guitars that are well outside my price range, and did not seem to have anything used. I suspect both are trying to find a niche not being served very well by the large Guitar Center we have nearby.

As usual, I expect the shopping will be much more fun than the actual owning... tongue.gif
post #738 of 744
What about the Monoprice strat clone? From comments around the web, set-up seems to be hit or miss. Has anyone bought one?
post #739 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

What about the Monoprice strat clone? From comments around the web, set-up seems to be hit or miss. Has anyone bought one?


What is it that draws you to those ? Are they any cheaper than the equivalent Squier ?

post #740 of 744
Yes, they are very cheap - they often go on sale for less than even the cheapest Squier. However, I'm concerned it is like the FOTM Chinese IEMs - lots of people claiming they are the equivalent of brands costing 3X, 4X or more - but these claims are often made by folks that have never actually heard the more expensive brands. There are reviews saying that the $80 Monoprice Strats are the equivalent of the $600 made in Mexico Fender Strats. I'm skeptical, to say the least...
post #741 of 744
The main advantage of Fender's archaic construction is their robustness.

Getting a strat to sound right is not necessarily complex, especially if you're not too concerned about slight deficiencies such as very light fret buzzing etc...


Do you plan on getting real world lessons ? I couldn't recommend that highly enough.

If you do, some school sell instruments directly at a discount.
post #742 of 744

Here's a Strat that I modified, for myself. replaced the pickup, with Seymor Duncans. Two of them are stacked coils that preserve the Strat sound but eliminate hum. The Bridge pickup is a humbucker type. I added a phase switch, changed one of the tone controls to be a bass control, both tone controls are always present. I changed the flat white pickup guard to pearl and shielded the wiring. I also treble compensated the volume control.

I have another older 70's maple neck Strat that I modified I never modified my Les Pauls.

 

post #743 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

Here's a Strat that I modified, for myself. replaced the pickup, with Seymor Duncans. Two of them are stacked coils that preserve the Strat sound but eliminate hum. The Bridge pickup is a humbucker type. I added a phase switch, changed one of the tone controls to be a bass control, both tone controls are always present. I changed the flat white pickup guard to pearl and shielded the wiring. I also treble compensated the volume control.
I have another older 70's maple neck Strat that I modified I never modified my Les Pauls.


Lovely ! How reliable is that Floyd Rose ? Always heard about them being a pain to set up and tune.
post #744 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post


Lovely ! How reliable is that Floyd Rose ? Always heard about them being a pain to set up and tune.

It works well and isn't all that hard to setup and tune, just not as convenient. It keeps tune real good, far better than my other Strat with the stock hardware.

If you break a string while performing it'll take longer to replace, however, a traditional setup takes too long to replace a string so one should have another guitar handy or the audience might get a bit antsy waiting.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home