Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › The Beatles or Pink Floyd.....Cast your vote
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beatles or Pink Floyd.....Cast your vote - Page 10

post #136 of 192

Pink Floyd never copied anybody else's work, they all did their work themselves.

post #137 of 192

1000

Guess who?

post #138 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorillaz View Post

1000

Guess who?

 

Hmmm. Doesn't look like The White Album...

post #139 of 192

These are the Guess Who

 

post #140 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

These are the Guess Who

 

LOL, yes "The" Guess Who.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post

 

Hmmm. Doesn't look like The White Album...

if I could only remember the name of this album?

post #141 of 192

Pink Floyd by a large margin by musical preference.  But I think the Beatles (Paul and Lennon) were better song writers. 

post #142 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by sling5s View Post

Pink Floyd by a large margin by musical preference.  But I think the Beatles (Paul and Lennon) were better song writers. 

 

They had influence, but who influenced Pink Floyd? This was in the 60s.

post #143 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

Pink Floyd never copied anybody else's work, they all did their work themselves.

 

The Beatles were great, I like their stuff a lot. They are better than a boy band because they can rock: See Paul McCartney on Saturday Night Live. I respect their originality too, down to the instruments they played. The Beatles inspired some of my favorite bands +1. But to me the Beatles can be Cheesy (a lot) at worst. Beatles albums can sound like compilations of 4 different bands. PF can be very similar sound and somewhat repetitive on albums. Pink Floyd can seem like they're just jamming at times to me. All that said, I still like Pink Floyd better just because I've listened to The Wall like 500 times and still like it. More, Meddle, Atom Heart, Animals, Dark Side Of the Moon, Wish You Were Here are awesome too. I even like The Final Cut a lot, which seems to be unloved among my PF loving friends.   

post #144 of 192

Jesus, or Spiderman, cast your vote!

 

That makes as much sense as the OP's question.

 

Talk about apples and oranges!

 

How about this:  Sex Pistols, or Yes, cast your vote!

 

This is not a very useful discussion IMHO...

post #145 of 192

So because of all the people talking trash about this thread, I've been trying to compare Beatles and Pink Floyd for about an hour now looking for any similarities. My best so far is "Long Long Long" off the White Album by George Harrison which almost seems like it could have been on The Wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jWSFdIAEUU

They both have a song about diamonds and money, they're both from England, and they both liken "probably capitalists" to "piggies."

Some strange facts to note: Yellow Submarine was Paul McCartney's song written for Ringo and when he was writing it, wanted it to be a kids song. And Donovan, the famous Scottish Folk singer/songwriter supposedly added the lyrics "Skies of blue and seas of green" to the song.

And I just read this today, that Tennille, from Captain and Tennille, did some back-up vocals on Pink Floyd's "The Wall." 

So Captain and Tinnille fans and Pink Floyd fans should join forces, drop acid and make love. tongue_smile.gif  

post #146 of 192

I can listen to Echoes by Pink Floyd or Mephisto Waltz by Liszt and say 'Wow, what a great composition' without some mind altering drop.

post #147 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

Pink Floyd never copied anybody else's work, they all did their work themselves.

 

As far as copying work, Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and The Who's "Tommy" are both essentially Rock Operas that begin with WW2 imagery, and is a story about a boy who's dead father torments him. Pink needs a dirty woman to make him "feel like a real man" and Tommy get's the acid Queen make him better. Both Tommy and Pink break Mirrors. They're both double albums. I mean you have to squint your eyes a little to see the similarities: from "Tommy can you hear me" to "Is there anybody out there." A lot of the concepts and ideological criticisms were the same, and The Who's album came 10 years earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

I can listen to Echoes by Pink Floyd or Mephisto Waltz by Liszt and say 'Wow, what a great composition' without some mind altering drop.


If this is directed at my Acid comment, then I'd say I really think the point is to use the music to stimulate the high, not the high to stimulate the music.


Edited by JamesHuntington - 1/7/13 at 12:09am
post #148 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHuntington View Post

 

As far as copying work, Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and The Who's "Tommy" are both essentially Rock Operas that begin with WW2 imagery, and is a story about a boy who's dead father torments him. Pink needs a dirty woman to make him "feel like a real man" and Tommy get's the acid Queen make him better. Both Tommy and Pink break Mirrors. They're both double albums. I mean you have to squint your eyes a little to see the similarities: from "Tommy can you hear me" to "Is there anybody out there." A lot of the concepts and ideological criticisms were the same, and The Who's album came 10 years earlier.


If this is directed at my Acid comment, then I'd say I really think the point is to use the music to stimulate the high, not the high to stimulate the music.

 

I understand that it was just a comment and mine was just as well, no offense intended, and I hope none taken.

post #149 of 192

I love both. However if I had to choose whose music I listen to more, I'd go with Pink Floyd.

post #150 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

 

I understand that it was just a comment and mine was just as well, no offense intended, and I hope none taken.


None here. I just wanted to clarify because I don't know you or where you are in your musical/life journey. We all experience things at different times in our lives and I was assuming that some people have done drugs here. One thing I can say about the two bands mentioned are they're pretty emotion driven bands. Some people might relate to the Beatles after a break-up with their significant other or some happy event. Some minds are too fragile to handle any Pink Floyd ever without slitting their wrists. But when my uncle died I couldn't get the song "Wish You Were Here" out of my mind forever, and It still reminds me of him. :cry:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › The Beatles or Pink Floyd.....Cast your vote