Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be... - Page 199  

post #2971 of 3420

I've never heard a difference with amps, but transports and speakers are effected depending on how well they're built. 

 

For instance, my Cambridge 851, no difference, but I've heard it with cheaper players and most speakers.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

I used to have a house brick on top of my cd player to stop any vibrations effecting the laser. Does is it actually make any difference with other components?

post #2972 of 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I've never heard a difference with amps, but transports and speakers are effected depending on how well they're built. 

 

For instance, my Cambridge 851, no difference, but I've heard it with cheaper players and most speakers.

 

Yeah defo for speakers, but even top of the range cd players would benefit depending on what stand they are on imo. Also wood flooring when using speakers, piles of bricks should be used! I can't imagine any benefit for SS amps, as you say. Not sure about tube amps? if they can be affected by vibration as I've never used them with speakers, but because most tube amps display thier tubes on top only a madman would attempt to balance some heavy concrete type stuff on top of themconfused_face.gif . Spiked feet on everything makes more sense.  

 

No benefit if you are using a headphone set up, unless you like to dance about like an idiot biggrin.gif but then I would suggest putting a brick on top of your head to stop it getting out of hand...

post #2973 of 3420

There are better options for CD players and tube amps if it's an issue. Proper feet on a CD player (even something as cheap as cork + rubber), and dampers on tube amps. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Yeah defo for speakers, but even top of the range cd players would benefit depending on what stand they are on imo. Also wood flooring when using speakers, piles of bricks should be used! I can't imagine any benefit for SS amps, as you say. Not sure about tube amps? if they can be affected by vibration as I've never used them with speakers, but because most tube amps display thier tubes on top only a madman would attempt to balance some heavy concrete type stuff on top of themconfused_face.gif . Spiked feet on everything makes more sense.  

 

No benefit if you are using a headphone set up, unless you like to dance about like an idiot biggrin.gif but then I would suggest putting a brick on top of your head to stop it getting out of hand...

post #2974 of 3420

Talking vibration control, under the devices,i use the following combination from bottow to top:

 

 

Golden Sound ceramic cones + Dh Square

 

Carbon kevlar plate (vibration's sponge)

 

Fadel amethyst steel/teflon system

 

And it's important to respect the horizontality (in the two dimensions) on turning machines and speakers

 

Under my tube amp i use a steel triangle on Lowan counter cones

 

The feet of my furniture (and speakers stands) are filled with sand and have some Golden sound ceramic cones & DH square

under the furniture's feet.

 

Oh well and i put some tar sheets into my devices when possible (add weight and calm down vibes), so under my drive, converter and the passive preamp.

 

And 140lb of rocks on the subwoofer

 

 

 

 

The combination quoted above

 

(Golden Sound ceramic cones + Dh Square

 

Carbon kevlar plate (vibration's sponge)

 

Fadel amethyst steel/teflon system)

 

works extremely well but is beaten by the Relaxa plate, magnetic levitation system:

 

 

post #2975 of 3420

One of the best isolation products are Stillpoints....

 

http://www.stillpoints.us/

post #2976 of 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolida302 View Post

 

Works extremely well but is beaten by the Relaxa plate, magnetic levitation system:

 

 

 

 

Didn't know anyone used SAP gear.  They used to retail state side with a distributor in Hawaii but that didn't last very long, I think Vincenzo cut that short when he realized the shipping wasn't any cheaper for those in the upper 48.  The Relaxa plate is a very good product, their speakers are also very nice if you've tried any.  

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

One of the best isolation products are Stillpoints....

 

http://www.stillpoints.us/

 

Try Minus K Technology for ultimate isolation.


Edited by colinharding - 10/18/12 at 8:15am
post #2977 of 3420

Just a tease to derail this disturbing lack of pics...

 

post #2978 of 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

Just a tease to derail this disturbing lack of pics...

 

Is that a toaster?

post #2979 of 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

Just a tease to derail this disturbing lack of pics...

 

I imagine that's a very warm component.  The bread and butter of your set-up, you might say.  Hopefully the treble isn't too hot, though.
i'm sorry i'll go away now

post #2980 of 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Is that a toaster?

that's a 47 Labs 4717 Shigaraki integrated amp

it makes terrible toast!

http://www.sakurasystems.com/


Edited by parbaked - 10/21/12 at 12:10pm
post #2981 of 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Is that a toaster?


ha, my exact thought too

post #2982 of 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagothur View Post

I imagine that's a very warm component.  The bread and butter of your set-up, you might say.  Hopefully the treble isn't too hot, though.
i'm sorry i'll go away now

Bet his favorite music is Pop Tarts!

 

Yep, I'm coming with you..

post #2983 of 3420

 

 

 

I'd say it's an improvement over my iPhone 4 (the camera I mean). As for the system...Later this week that box and Macbook will be moving and there will be a turntable there (finally). Not the one I really wanted, but a decent used deal to hold me over. 

 

The 851 is also due for an upgrade, but that'll be awhile considering the options I'm looking at.

post #2984 of 3420

Loved my Tannoy Kensington SE for over 3 years. Realized at some point that even bigger Tannoys would be more efficient & extended, and that this would be significant in my room. Here are the new Canterbury SE in my setup. Those are 15" dual-concentric drivers with alnico magnets (shared by the woofer & 2" compression driver tweeter); 235 Litre cabinets; yields an honest 96dB/Watt and 28Hz @-3dB. You might not think that would be a big difference from 93dB/Watt and 29Hz @-6dB, but it is. I also tried the Yorkminster SE, but while its bass was arguably of a higher quality, there was a hardness to the upper mids/lower treble region (compared to Kensington and Canterbury) that I couldn't get past.

 

Paired with 250+ Watts/ch tube amps? Reaching concert-level at low distortion is not a problem

 

Looks are decidedly old-school; love it or hate it. I actually dislike most (if not all) of the aesthetic trends in modern high end speakers anyways :) 

 

For headphones I've been keeping it simple: an HD650 with a "maxed" PPA (still great amps) at home; Shure se535 & iPhone at work. I prefer the HD650, when isolation isn't an issue; super headphones for the money. Not pictured because you guys know damn well what they look like -- and they're not "summit-fi" :)

 

 


Edited by mulveling - 10/23/12 at 11:08pm
post #2985 of 3420

When l auditioned the K-01, the speakers used were the Tannoy Westminster Royal se and the SQ was very life like. Because l like the look of Tannoy speakers and their SQ, l was going to get a pair of Kensington se but then realised my wallet was very light. I'd still like some Tannoy speakers but that will probably be along time off.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)