Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Results of a HD600 Burn in Experiment! :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Results of a HD600 Burn in Experiment! :) - Page 2

post #16 of 49
I noticed minimal burn in with the hd600s as well. Balance didn't change overall since Ive added around 100 hours total since I got them very slightly used. There was a slight change in fluidity in the mids and maybe I say maybe just a teensy bit more bass.

My hd595s didn't change much with burn in either. It was the same as the hd600 where balanced remained almost exactly the same and only the coherence improved a little because of the mids becoming a little more fluid and integrated better as a whole when fully burned in. The hd555 however changed a lot. It turned from thin and bassless to smooth, creamy and warm. No possibility of Placebo there since the differences were HUUUGE.
post #17 of 49
When I got my HD600s out of the box and gave them a brief listening (I was then late from work but I couldn't resist trying them). They sounded distant, the sound was all muddy and I barely heard the lady singing. So I left them with pink noise when I went working and after three hours I came back and listened to them again: they were completely different beast. Well, the difference was obvious in this case.
post #18 of 49
Was your hd600 the old one with the black material inside? Maybe the new ones burn in less
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post
Was your hd600 the old one with the black material inside? Maybe the new ones burn in less
Unless Sennheiser changed the drivers themselves, which I think is not the case, the screen material's color (we not even know if it's the same compound) I seriously doubt has any repercussion on burn-in. I don't take either the belief that there's any significative or interesting difference between the "old" 600s and the "new" 600s. But that's another story

IME the HD600 showed minor changes during burn-in, way less significative than other cans like K701 or D5000, and also took less time to settle down.

Rgrds
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by progo View Post
When I got my HD600s out of the box and gave them a brief listening (I was then late from work but I couldn't resist trying them). They sounded distant, the sound was all muddy and I barely heard the lady singing. So I left them with pink noise when I went working and after three hours I came back and listened to them again: they were completely different beast. Well, the difference was obvious in this case.
You should have switched back to the music.


Truth is I never noticed a significant burn in effect with the HD600 nor HD650.
Just a slight mellowing of harsh highs (as with most phones) after a couple of hours (some take longer).
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo View Post
Unless Sennheiser changed the drivers themselves, which I think is not the case, the screen material's color (we not even know if it's the same compound) I seriously doubt has any repercussion on burn-in. I don't take either the belief that there's any significative or interesting difference between the "old" 600s and the "new" 600s. But that's another story

IME the HD600 showed minor changes during burn-in, way less significative than other cans like K701 or D5000, and also took less time to settle down.

Rgrds
Yes, I do agree that the burn in is minor on these cans. Placebo factor might be higher than actual burn in
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post
Was your hd600 the old one with the black material inside? Maybe the new ones burn in less
I had thought the 'newer' variant is the one with the black fabric. Could someone verify which colour (black or white) is the newer version?
post #23 of 49
Well..i am not much into experiments but i opened up HD280, HD205 & HD25 & HD555.

If you think logically then Closed headphones benefit more from burn-in because their Driver is not free to move as its closed from one side. When they are fed pink noise the Closed headphones loosen up more relative to Open driver of headphones like HD555.
post #24 of 49
It's the same with the HD580s. I experienced no burn-in whatsoever. The only time the sound changed significantly was through changing the source (adding an amp did next to nothing).
post #25 of 49
this test is already an IDEAL test where everything is as best controlled as could possibly be. 2 identical units purchased at the same time from the same store. 1 was kept in the box (caution's) and the other was continuously run at moderate volume for approx 300 hours (mine)

so our conclusion is that for the hd600s we can say that burn in has minimal affects on sound quality.

Something else that came across my mind was whether sennheiser actually perform some sort of driver run in testing at their labs prior to the units being made available for purchase?
post #26 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorander View Post
I had thought the 'newer' variant is the one with the black fabric. Could someone verify which colour (black or white) is the newer version?
the white version (the ones we have) are the newer ones
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 View Post
Well..i am not much into experiments but i opened up HD280, HD205 & HD25 & HD555.

If you think logically then Closed headphones benefit more from burn-in because their Driver is not free to move as its closed from one side. When they are fed pink noise the Closed headphones loosen up more relative to Open driver of headphones like HD555.
I'm not so sure about that. There is little difference in the 'amount' of movement a headphone driver makes, open-backed or not. It's not like they are expected to make contact with the back of the enclosure. In addition, drivers in closed-back enclosures still have plenty of air to move. Driver material plays a greater role here.

That's my logical thinking, worth $0.02.
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caution View Post
the white version (the ones we have) are the newer ones
Ahh... so mine is of the newer variant too then. Thanks for the info.
post #29 of 49
we have the newer version. here is a pic of the them:

post #30 of 49
Hmm... This thread is tilting me closer to taking a stance that is entirely skeptical of burn-in.

While many replies agreed with the original post, they were agreeing that the HD600 doesn't benefit much from burn-in, not that that burn-in is of little use. Would all you HD600 owners have said the same thing about your burn-in experience if not for the results of this experiment?

In the case of burn-in's true existence, I just can't see one headphone improving 2%, while another improves by magnitudes. Sure, there can be a window, but not one like that. Dynamic drivers are still dynamic drivers.
I'm not here to start a war... I legitimately want to know. A quick, but logical, explanation, and I'll shut up! I promise!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Results of a HD600 Burn in Experiment! :)