Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Question about multi-tools
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about multi-tools

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Good evening my fellow head-fiers!

I have a question regarding multi-tools. I am going to be a senior in high school next year. I would also like to purchase a keychain or possibly a pocket multi-tool. However, I don't want to get caught with it at school and get suspended because the administrators see there's a knife on it. So what should I do? Should I just wait until next year, when I go to college, or are colleges strict about this too? Should I just get one and and dull the blade down into a flat-head screwdriver?

Also, how would I go about getting it through airport security?

If anybody had any ideas, that would be very helpful!
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewman View Post
Good evening my fellow head-fiers!

I have a question regarding multi-tools. I am going to be a senior in high school next year. I would also like to purchase a keychain or possibly a pocket multi-tool. However, I don't want to get caught with it at school and get suspended because the administrators see there's a knife on it. So what should I do? Should I just wait until next year, when I go to college, or are colleges strict about this too? Should I just get one and and dull the blade down into a flat-head screwdriver?

Also, how would I go about getting it through airport security?

If anybody had any ideas, that would be very helpful!
With the zero-weapons policy in effect in most school districts, wherein even PLASTIC knives and BUTTER knives are considered deadly WMD's when on school grounds... (Go find some news reports on CNN/ABC/NBC archives, I'm not kidding you.)

Really, really really highly recommend to NOT bring it to school. Some colleges are pretty strict about this as well, but if you keep it in your bag 95% of the time it'll be ok. But still really recommend to leave it at home.
post #3 of 11
Roastpuff hit the nail on the head. Do not bring it to school. College it really doesn't matter as long as you odnt pull it on someone but high school is completely different.
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the helpful replies. So I guess the consensus is that multi-tools are good to have but should only be brought to locations other than schools. That being said, can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive, small, multi-tool?

EDIT:

Would this tool suffice? It's a knifeless multi-tool from leatherman. I guess it would be school-safe, right?
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewman View Post
Thanks for the helpful replies. So I guess the consensus is that multi-tools are good to have but should only be brought to locations other than schools. That being said, can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive, small, multi-tool?

EDIT:

Would this tool suffice? It's a knifeless multi-tool from leatherman. I guess it would be school-safe, right?
I doubt it would still be considered school-safe... and taking the knife out of the Leatherman takes out 50% of the utility. I could live with a knife and a pocket screwdriver that has a Phillips and a flathead on either side.

A knife is honestly the most useful tool.

EDIT: Oh, and I just realized it has a pair of scissors. If they're not plastic-coated and safety-tipped, that's still a no-no.
post #6 of 11
you don't wanna get stopped and searched for something that looks like a pocketknife
post #7 of 11
Ah, the joys of post school life where I can carry all the deadly weapons I wish.



That are kosher for a 15 month old daughter to play with.

-Ed
post #8 of 11
I like the SwissTech Utili-Key for around $10.
I've accidentally left it on my keyring through TSA checkpoints a few times without problems.

The Utili-Key has screwdrivers, a blade that's great for opening packages from amazon.com, and a bottle opener.

Key Ring Mini-Tool: Utili-Key 6-in-1 - Swiss+Tech
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
So should I just get the Utili-key or go ahead and get a pocket multi-tool that I just won't bring to school?
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewman View Post
Thanks for the helpful replies. So I guess the consensus is that multi-tools are good to have but should only be brought to locations other than schools. That being said, can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive, small, multi-tool?

EDIT:

Would this tool suffice? It's a knifeless multi-tool from leatherman. I guess it would be school-safe, right?
A kid at my school got suspended for 10 days for borrowing scissors from a teacher and bringing them to lunch to finish a project. Because he wasn't in the room that he borrowed them, it was considered a weapon and was suspended.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewman View Post
So should I just get the Utili-key or go ahead and get a pocket multi-tool that I just won't bring to school?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat1006 View Post
A kid at my school got suspended for 10 days for borrowing scissors from a teacher and bringing them to lunch to finish a project. Because he wasn't in the room that he borrowed them, it was considered a weapon and was suspended.
TSA checkpoints are not as idiotic as some school district regulators, though they can be at points. Just get a normal multi-tool (Leathermans are my preference) and use it outside of school. Don't even think about bringing such a thing to school - I brought Guns & Ammo to read once and got chastised for it while some people were flipping through Sport Compact a few tables away.

It's a magazine, for crying out loud, and one that doesn't have scantily-clad women prancing around pretending to be interesting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Question about multi-tools