New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IEMS for classical?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
I'm considering the klipsch custom 3, but are there any that's particularly renowned for classical music?

I'm not using an amp.
post #2 of 27
I've bought Altec Lansing's im716 recently and by now thats the only iem I use for classic (detailed and transparent, with a neutral sound). They said to be even better if you remove the inline volume/impedance control (needs some basic soldering). Said to be using the same drivers as Etymotic's highly regarded er4 phones (so it's a "poor mans etymotic").
They are out of production so you can find one very cheap. Replacement filters and tips are still available (from Etymotic).

You could also go for the er4, but I never had one so cannot compare the two.
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szat View Post
I've bought Altec Lansing's im716 recently and by now thats the only iem I use for classic (detailed and transparent, with a neutral sound). They said to be even better if you remove the inline volume/impedance control (needs some basic soldering). Said to be using the same drivers as Etymotic's highly regarded er4 phones (so it's a "poor mans etymotic").
They are out of production so you can find one very cheap. Replacement filters and tips are still available (from Etymotic).

You could also go for the er4, but I never had one so cannot compare the two.
Is the Etymotic ER4 a renowned IEM for classical?

Thanks.
post #4 of 27
Well, depending on your budget, i would go with the Etymotic ER6i for low budget ($60-$80) or the Etymotic ER4p for high budget ($170+). These IEMs are IMO the best for classical. The excellent instrument separation and detail will bring any classical piece alive and it will sound great. As stated in the above post, The Altec Lansing im716 is a lower cost alternative to the ER4p, but ive never used them, so i dont know the diffrences to the ER4p.
post #5 of 27
Thread Starter 
Does the ER4P go really far into the ear?
Do they need an amp?
post #6 of 27
Thread Starter 
Does the ER4P have

lush sound
rich tone colors
tight, controlled bass, not boomy, not bloated
airy
bright
warm
spiritual(as in bright and warm)

Because the Custom3s seem to be good at that.
post #7 of 27
While not feeling they're 'cold', warm is not a word I necessarily associate with Etys...apart from that & 'lush'*, your list sounds like ER-4P to me.
*'Fraid you'll have to explain lush for me a little bit. Does it mean euphonically coloured?
post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 
I called my local distributor, and they said the custom3s are actually CUSTOM ear gels? Like they said the custom 2 is the one that comes with pre made ear gels, and the custom3s require me to go down there and make a mold then they take it to the states to make for me.

Is that true? I thought the custom3s come with premade ear gels too?
post #9 of 27
how do bright and warm go together! ha
but I must agree the custom 3s do sound as u described..

the etys have always been known as reference material... music as it is recorded..
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowth View Post
how do bright and warm go together! ha
but I must agree the custom 3s do sound as u described..

the etys have always been known as reference material... music as it is recorded..
What about instead of "warm" I said "radiant"? Will that work?

So have you had the custom3s? Can you tell me in a bit more detail of how they sound?

Thanks.
post #11 of 27
bright and radiant.. interesting =)

hmm I don't own one but I managed to listen to a friend's..

the bass is nice and tight, not boomy at all, decay's slightly fast.. but overall the custom 3s feel quite fast and dynamic.

The highs excel, crystal clear and quite pristine.

The mids are not too bad.. vocals are precise and clear, possibly just missin very minute details like breath...

Overall I wouldn't say they're real airy.. and they don't have a fantastically wide soundstage.. they're quite in-your-face... aggresive.

But enjoyable ultimately =)
post #12 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowth View Post
bright and radiant.. interesting =)

hmm I don't own one but I managed to listen to a friend's..

the bass is nice and tight, not boomy at all, decay's slightly fast.. but overall the custom 3s feel quite fast and dynamic.

The highs excel, crystal clear and quite pristine.

The mids are not too bad.. vocals are precise and clear, possibly just missin very minute details like breath...

Overall I wouldn't say they're real airy.. and they don't have a fantastically wide soundstage.. they're quite in-your-face... aggresive.

But enjoyable ultimately =)
Are they "sort" of airy?

How are the mids? Is voice separation in all frequencies good?

Do they cause ear pain/fatigue that people have been complaining about?

Thanks.
post #13 of 27
airy... hmmm... i think an amp could add that airiness.. but I don't find it all too airy...

voice separation is pretty good =) hmmm female vocals stand out..

I haven't tried them long enough to discern if there's ear fatigue...
post #14 of 27
Thread Starter 
can you compare it to some other headphones that you own?
post #15 of 27
I have used my ER4S for classical on several occasions. I've used them unamped, off a custom-design amplifier, off a modified Sugden Headmaster, and off a Gilmore dynamic amplifier. They all sound good.

As for comfort, everyone has their own opinions. All I know is I am unable to maintain a seal in one of my ears using rubber tips as the tips essentially slide out after 20minutes. It's not the fault of Etymotic, I just have one freak ear canal and one normal one. I've used them on a 12 hour plane ride from Munich to Los Angeles using the foam inserts and I had no problems with discomfort.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: