Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio WA6 SE - Internal Photos, Pg. 10/11
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio WA6 SE - Internal Photos, Pg. 10/11 - Page 9

post #121 of 183

I Suspect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwwhats View Post
Gradofan, sounds like your best bet might be to get a maxxed WA6 with pseudoPS... and remember Jack does have a return policy; if you don't love it, give it back....
I suspect you're right.

If I really thought... I could tell enough difference, I'd opt for the SE... but... I'm a skeptic.
post #122 of 183
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwwhats View Post
I would describe the WA6 SE as very fast, very detailed, VERY dynamic and impactful, very sharp, EXTREMELY high resolution, with the UTMOST transparency.
I would agree with the basic premises set forth by mmwwhats in his last post. I would be surprised if anyone would be upset with their decision to purchase a WA6 SE. It is powerful and transparent. Not like I expect from a tube amp. Last night I listened to the Dave Brubek Trio and finished with the only Blind Faith album. It was very emotional and involving. I believe the better the recording, the better result you will get from the WA6 SE. That would, of course, be true of any amp.
post #123 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradofan2 View Post
I was leaning towards the SE also... but, I'd really prefer the smaller size of the WA6... and... if it sounds just as good, or within 5%, or so... then... why not the maxed WA6. At least that's the way it seems to me.

It appears to me the two are virtually identical, except for the additional transformers, and the separate PSU of the SE. It seems difficult to believe these can make much difference in the sound (assuming the pseudo-dual power supply of the WA6, and the BG upgrades).
In a direct comparison on the 19th using Grado RS-1 and HD600, my WA6 maxed with pseudo dual PS sounds like 96-97% of Blutarsky's Melos SHA Gold, with only a little smaller soundstage. Listening to his Zana Deux vs the Melos we felt the Zana was also about 96-97% of the Melos.

PS - we are doing a write-up on this, and I'd like to tube roll my WA6 at his house to get it to pass up the Melos. We only had my Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 and Sylvania 6DE7 with me.
post #124 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
In a direct comparison on the 19th using Grado RS-1 and HD600, my WA6 maxed with pseudo dual PS sounds like 96-97% of Blutarsky's Melos SHA Gold, with only a little smaller soundstage. Listening to his Zana Deux vs the Melos we felt the Zana was also about 96-97% of the Melos.

PS - we are doing a write-up on this, and I'd like to tube roll my WA6 at his house to get it to pass up the Melos. We only had my Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 and Sylvania 6DE7 with me.
What rectifier was in the 6? I find the Sophia perforated plate (the soundstage is one area the Sophia really excels in) is better than my NOS GZ34 metal bass in all areas except bass where it is equal and I look forward to purchasing the EML 274B true mesh plate.
post #125 of 183
Jam, what Sophia rectifier are you talking about ?! What type is it ? I have a NOS metal base GZ34 waiting to be use in my bass amp and I was wondering if there was something even better before using it. Thanks!
post #126 of 183
Sophia Electric has the Sophia Princess mesh plate (it is a perforated plate and not a true mesh plate, which is woven wire to be a true mesh plate). It is a large coke bottle shaped tube. They aren't cheap but much less than the going rate of a metal base. You have to make sure the circuit is correct for the Sophia. What is the first cap in the circuit and what is the voltage?

Sophia Electric's Home Page
post #127 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
What is a Hi-cap?
Naim's preamps and CDPs allow different types of external PS upgrades; Super Cap, Hi-Cap, Flat Cap etc. Hi-Cap is likely the most popular and lies in the middle of the range.
post #128 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
Listening to his Zana Deux vs the Melos we felt the Zana was also about 96-97% of the Melos.
I'll likely get flame for this. I've heard the ZD driving RS1000 that's burnt-in, warmed up with decent cables & CDP - not an enjoyable experience - dry and bright. Maybe it's the choice of tubes or a case of over-expectation after reading so many great posts and excitement about it. It did much better on AD2000 but still not something I'll crave for.
post #129 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
Sophia Electric has the Sophia Princess mesh plate (it is a perforated plate and not a true mesh plate, which is woven wire to be a true mesh plate). It is a large coke bottle shaped tube. They aren't cheap but much less than the going rate of a metal base. You have to make sure the circuit is correct for the Sophia. What is the first cap in the circuit and what is the voltage?

Sophia Electric's Home Page
Thanks Jam, I'll have to check that when I'll open my amp for inspection.
post #130 of 183
What is this "pseudo dual power supply" that you all are talking about? I don't see it in the upgrade section for the Woo6. What benefits does it provide?
post #131 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphercomplete View Post
What is this "pseudo dual power supply" that you all are talking about? I don't see it in the upgrade section for the Woo6. What benefits does it provide?
It is a modification I did, which I have used for years when not going to true dual power supplies. Woo Audio will now do it and the difference in performance is not small. It elevates the amp to another level (whatever that means. :^) ).

It can be found on my 6 Modified thread.
post #132 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonq View Post
I'll likely get flame for this. I've heard the ZD driving RS1000 that's burnt-in, warmed up with decent cables & CDP - not an enjoyable experience - dry and bright. Maybe it's the choice of tubes or a case of over-expectation after reading so many great posts and excitement about it. It did much better on AD2000 but still not something I'll crave for.
I'm sure it could be tubes - there is no one set or fixed sound for a tube amp. When we're talking less than 5% difference in sound it could be due to not using the best tubes, length of warmup, interconnects, power cables, impedance matching, synergy with a certain headphone, and more. We did use the same source, interconnects and headphones with the same warm up time (each time we gave them all up to three hours to reach peak performance, and with the Zana vs Melos they were run for 6 hours). And all amps were plugged into the same power conditioner.

I'd bet I can roll tubes to make the WA6 gain that 3-4% or even beat the Melos, till Blutarsky changes his tubes too, but then we could do the same with the Zana Deux and have them all trade places with each other. I was using a <$100 Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 rectifier and the WA6 is sensitive to changing recitifiers - my Sylvania or RCA 5U4G or 1955 Phillips Metal base might have sounded even better if I'd thought to bring them or my other 3 pairs of driver tubes to try. I could also have used my Sovtek or Svetlana 5AR4 rectifiers and made the WA6 sound like 85% of the Melos

My point was that a Maxed WA6 with pseudo dual power supply, Melos SHA Gold, and Zana Deux can all be within 5% of each other depending on the setup, and I think that is lofty company to keep. Everything I have heard about the WA6 SE says it will perform similarly.
post #133 of 183
There's no mention of pseudo dual power supply option on WA6 link, is this something that needs to be specially arranged with WA?
post #134 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonq View Post
There's no mention of pseudo dual power supply option on WA6 link, is this something that needs to be specially arranged with WA?
Yes, if you want to have i, Jack will do the Job perfectly like here:

post #135 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonq View Post
I'll likely get flame for this. I've heard the ZD driving RS1000 that's burnt-in, warmed up with decent cables & CDP - not an enjoyable experience - dry and bright. Maybe it's the choice of tubes or a case of over-expectation after reading so many great posts and excitement about it. It did much better on AD2000 but still not something I'll crave for.
You won't get flamed. I don't doubt your experiences. I have read many times, before i purchased the ZD that it is a more analytical tube amp. Pair this with the already bright RS-1/GS-1000 and your comments make absolute sense.

What was the rest of the system? I plan on buying lush/warm tubes and interconnects to go along with my tube dac.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio WA6 SE - Internal Photos, Pg. 10/11